importing or joining several files with same structure
Author Message
 importing or joining several files with same structure

 hi,

i'm developing an application for a customer with a nation wide
network ( novell ) and it is needed that the datafiles reside on a
local server. No problem so far.
Once a week all the datafiles are collected from the different servers
on the management server ( this is covered by the IT department ),
there the files need to be converted into one file for analysis.

Is there a utility or template to do this ??

Thank in advance.

ETSoft

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:16:50 GMT
 importing or joining several files with same structure

Quote:
> hi,

>i'm developing an application for a customer with a nation wide
>network ( novell ) and it is needed that the datafiles reside on a
>local server. No problem so far.
>Once a week all the datafiles are collected from the different servers
>on the management server ( this is covered by the IT department ),
>there the files need to be converted into one file for analysis.

>Is there a utility or template to do this ??

All you need is a few line of code to do it in a procedure or just
change a little on a convert module.

In a procedure:

Make a copy of the totaling file in the dictionary:

Include the definition in 'Files'

!<key_source>      , insert a key-label here
!
!<source>          , inser registername
!<destination>     , inser registername

   CLEAR(<key_source>, -1)

   SET( <key_source>,<key_source> )

   LOOP
      IF Access:<source>.Next() = Level:Benign THEN  ! First record in source

         <destination> = <source>

         IF Access:<source>.Insert() NOT = Level:Benign THEN
            MESSAGE('Inserterror in destination')
            BREAK
         END
      ELSE
         BREAK  ! End of sourcefile
      END
   END

Repeate code until all source-file is inserted in the destination-file.

If you generate a convert project in the dictionary just change
CREATE to OPEN so you don't delete the information allready in
the destination-file.

Kjetil Nesheim
More Computers

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:12:16 GMT
 importing or joining several files with same structure
You didn't mention what type of datafiles are being used.  If it is MS SQL,
Sybase, Pervasive, or some such thing, you can use the Replication Services
to perform this function.  Actually, this would probably be the best way to
handle it.  If you can go to an SQL backend, do it.  If cost is a problem,
look at Pervasive.  Their replication service is very inexpensive.  If you
are using MS SQL, it's included.  If you are using Sybase or Oracle, get out
your wallet.  If you are using TPS or DAT files, hire me.  I did this for a
national PPO network, only they were hooked up 24 X 7 not just once a
week...  (Just a blatant play for cash...)  Actually, if the last item is
the issue, I may have some code laying around that would get you started.
Let me know.

Steve

Quote:
> hi,

> i'm developing an application for a customer with a nation wide
> network ( novell ) and it is needed that the datafiles reside on a
> local server. No problem so far.
> Once a week all the datafiles are collected from the different servers
> on the management server ( this is covered by the IT department ),
> there the files need to be converted into one file for analysis.

> Is there a utility or template to do this ??

> Thank in advance.

> ETSoft

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:24:47 GMT

1. Join clipper files with ACCESS. NOT import

2. Input from several fields in several files

3. Import unknown file structures

4. Import Clarion data file structure in CW 2.0 dictionary

5. [Fwd: Import Clarion data file structure in CW 2.0 dictionary]

6. Join several listboxes to one scrollbar...

7. several comments on the structure of Python 1.4 core distribution

8. thread behavior with join() and import

9. BUG?: import os.path.join?!?

10. Several files into one topspeed file

11. One big file or several small files?

12. i would like to write several small files to one file