why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?
Author Message
 why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?

Why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?  That's all I want to know!

message(file{prop:label}) returns nothing

thanks,
Harley - CEE5b

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?
Hi Harley,

Quote:
> Why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?  That's all I want to know!

> message(file{prop:label}) returns nothing

    PROP:Label with no array element returns the label only of the KEY (or
INDEX), not the file. You can use a file as a target when you want to
receive the labels of fields or memo (with the number of array element).

Regards,

Anton Novikov

Tue, 10 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?

According to the help and the documentation, {prop:label} without an array element is supposed to return the label of the file, unless the target is a key or index.  Even the example supposedly performs the exact operation I want:

StartLine(FileIndent,TheFile{PROP:label},'FILE')

here, TheFile{PROP:label} returns the label of the FILE.
Thanks,
Harley - CEE5b

Quote:

> Hi Harley,

> > Why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?  That's all I want to know!

> > message(file{prop:label}) returns nothing

>     PROP:Label with no array element returns the label only of the KEY (or
> INDEX), not the file. You can use a file as a target when you want to
> receive the labels of fields or memo (with the number of array element).

> Regards,

> Anton Novikov

Tue, 10 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?
Hi Harley,

Quote:
>According to the help and the documentation, {prop:label} without an array

element is supposed to return the label of the file, >unless the target is a
key or index.  Even the example supposedly performs the exact operation I
want:

Quote:

>StartLine(FileIndent,TheFile{PROP:label},'FILE')

>here, TheFile{PROP:label} returns the label of the FILE.

May be it MUST return the label of the FILE.

Quote:
> Hi Harley,

> > Why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?  That's all I want to know!

> > message(file{prop:label}) returns nothing

>     PROP:Label with no array element returns the label only of the KEY (or
> INDEX), not the file. You can use a file as a target when you want to
> receive the labels of fields or memo (with the number of array element).

    What doc are you looking in? :) According to the Clarion LR, page 170:
When no array element number is specified and the target is the label of a
KEY (or INDEX), PROP:Label returns the label of the KEY (or INDEX).
    As for this example I _think_ that they can use {PROP:name}.

--
Regards,

Anton Novikov

ICQ #50995986

Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?

Hey Anton,

     The doc I'm looking in is the Online Help (which should be the most up-to-date) for Clarion 5EEb.  I'm looking in the topic, "File Structure Properties."  And, you are right, it does say "When no array element number is specified and the target is the label of a KEY (or INDEX), PROP:Label returns the label of the KEY (or INDEX)."  However, the example shows this:
FileIndent  EQUATE(20)
LineSize   EQUATE(255)
Line   STRING(LineSize)
StartLine(FileIndent,TheFile{PROP:label},'FILE')
where StartLine is defined as:
StartLine PROCEDURE (USHORT indent,STRING label, STRING type)
TypeStart USHORT
  CODE
  Line = label
  IF LEN(CLIP(Line)) < Indent
    TypeStart = Indent
  ELSE
    TypeStart = LEN(CLIP(Line)) + 4
  END
  Line[TypeStart : LineSize] = type
As I understand the example, it's supposed to output all of the details about TheFile.  This snippit is the very first thing and is supposed to output the file's label.  The output would look something like, 'TRN                 FILE'.  {prop:name} returns the file's path and name.  I don't want 'c:\clarion5\program\trn.tps' - I want 'TRN'.  I know this is very easy to do this using the template attribute %FilePrefix, but I'd like to use this within a function.  I guess I could just use {prop:name} to get the desired results, but there's got to be a better way.
Thanks,
Harley

Quote:

> Hi Harley,

> >According to the help and the documentation, {prop:label} without an array
> element is supposed to return the label of the file, >unless the target is a
> key or index.  Even the example supposedly performs the exact operation I
> want:

> >StartLine(FileIndent,TheFile{PROP:label},'FILE')

> >here, TheFile{PROP:label} returns the label of the FILE.

> May be it MUST return the label of the FILE.

> > Hi Harley,

> > > Why doesn't FILE{Prop:label} work?  That's all I want to know!

> > > message(file{prop:label}) returns nothing

> >     PROP:Label with no array element returns the label only of the KEY (or
> > INDEX), not the file. You can use a file as a target when you want to
> > receive the labels of fields or memo (with the number of array element).

>     What doc are you looking in? :) According to the Clarion LR, page 170:
> When no array element number is specified and the target is the label of a
> KEY (or INDEX), PROP:Label returns the label of the KEY (or INDEX).
>     As for this example I _think_ that they can use {PROP:name}.

> --
> Regards,

> Anton Novikov

> ICQ #50995986

Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. why doesn't this file work

2. PROP:HScrollPos set to zero doesn't work

3. PROP:Connectstring doesn't work

4. PROP:ConnectString doesn't work

5. c4a: --break label-- doesn't work inside of a routine

6. Help - why doesn't this conjunction work?

7. Why doesn't this function work?

8. Why doesn't this equate work

9. Why doesn't the socket always work ?

10. Why doesn't this subclass code work?

11. Why doesn't this code work?

12. Why doesn't this WORK?