Clarion vs Windows NT
Author Message
 Clarion vs Windows NT

We have encountered numerous errors trying to install applications on
Windows NT.
We hear rumors that Clarion makes some type of demand on "resources"
which is incompatible with Windows NT (and Office 2000)

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
What is its source?
What is its solution?

Thanks in advance,

Arnold

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion vs Windows NT

Quote:

> We have encountered numerous errors trying to install applications on
> Windows NT.
> We hear rumors that Clarion makes some type of demand on "resources"
> which is incompatible with Windows NT (and Office 2000)

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?
> What is its source?
> What is its solution?

What kind of errors are you seeing?

Ive been developing on NT and deploying on NT, 95, 98 and 3.1 for some
time. The only oddities I see on NT are differences between printer
drivers between NT and everything else.

I got Office2000 today but havent installed it yet, so I cant comment
about that.

Mark

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion vs Windows NT
I run an NT workstation - with a bunch of custom built Clarion utlities
for my own productivity gains - and support a raft of programs running on
an NT server.

Been running like this for 2+ years without any problems.
You don't specify what your problems are, but threads in this forum have
revealed problems with incorrect network configurations (caching of
writes turned on) and really cheap junk network cards.

I think problems on an NT network are poor network design and
administration, not Clarion.
    If you want better answers, you need to provide more deal as to what
is wrong and what version of clarion you are seeing problems with
(Clarion DOS takes some tricks to get operating properly).
        Tim

Quote:

> We have encountered numerous errors trying to install applications on
> Windows NT.
> We hear rumors that Clarion makes some type of demand on "resources"
> which is incompatible with Windows NT (and Office 2000)

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?
> What is its source?
> What is its solution?

> Thanks in advance,

> Arnold

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion vs Windows NT
I've had some occasional glitches with OCX stuff and MAPI templates on
Windows NT Terminal Server Edition and Citrix Winframe. No problems with NT
standard server or 95 or 98.

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion vs Windows NT
I run NT 4.0 as my development platform.
(It sure is more stable than 95 or 98).
I also run Win 95, and 98 as test platforms.
I notice no problems on NT while developing
testing.   I do notice that NT apps can have
probs executing on 95, 98 machines.   I haven't
identified all of them but one is that NT
handles long file names a bit differently than
does 95, 98.  I always try and use the 8.3
standard.   Also if your app wants to play
with Dialer,  Internet, or Midi services they
have different homes or do-don't exist across
the three OSs.
Roger Clark
Quote:

>I've had some occasional glitches with OCX stuff and MAPI templates on
>Windows NT Terminal Server Edition and Citrix Winframe. No problems with NT
>standard server or 95 or 98.

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion vs Windows NT
Basically Arnold, as other posts to this message have suggested.
There never has been issues with Clarion apps running under NT.

Just the common problems that occur with any database application running
under an OS. (configuration issues of OS)

So as you have said in your message.  Only rumors.

Doug

Quote:

> We have encountered numerous errors trying to install applications on
> Windows NT.
> We hear rumors that Clarion makes some type of demand on "resources"
> which is incompatible with Windows NT (and Office 2000)

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?
> What is its source?
> What is its solution?

> Thanks in advance,

> Arnold

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion vs Windows NT
Hello Clark,

Perhaps you can help me with a problem that I have with Windows NT Server
and Workstation.  We have an client/server application with entries in its
data dictionary that have a specific DOS path (i.e. C:\WINDOWS\ISMAN).
Further, when the program boots, its checks for the existence of data in
specific files.  If it can't find that data, then it posts an error and
halts the program

Now the problem is that while the install program will create the directory
if it does not exist, the Clarion 5A-EE program will not boot properly on
either a Windows NT Server or Workstation machine.  It works fine on a
Windows 9x machine (locally or on a server), if the server directory is
mapped to with a drive letter, but it will not boot in an NT environment.

From what I can tell, its like NT just does like the directory path
structure of NT.  By the way, we do not use any long filenames.  Is there
something that I have missed?  Does the app have to be compiled in an NT
environment to run on an NT machine.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Carl Thompson
Oasis Software

Quote:

>I run NT 4.0 as my development platform.
>(It sure is more stable than 95 or 98).
>I also run Win 95, and 98 as test platforms.
>I notice no problems on NT while developing
>testing.   I do notice that NT apps can have
>probs executing on 95, 98 machines.   I haven't
>identified all of them but one is that NT
>handles long file names a bit differently than
>does 95, 98.  I always try and use the 8.3
>standard.   Also if your app wants to play
>with Dialer,  Internet, or Midi services they
>have different homes or do-don't exist across
>the three OSs.
>Roger Clark

>>I've had some occasional glitches with OCX stuff and MAPI templates on
>>Windows NT Terminal Server Edition and Citrix Winframe. No problems with
NT
>>standard server or 95 or 98.

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Performance considerations - Clarion 5 vs Windows NT

2. Windows 2K vs Windows NT

3. VO vs DELPHI vs FOXPRO(Windows) vs DBASE(Windows)

4. Compilers Windows NT or Cross Compiler SunSolaris2.5/Windows NT Fortran77

5. Problems with the FILER program under Clarion for DOS and Windows NT

6. Problem running Clarion DOS program on Windows NT

7. Clarion 2.1 and Windows NT 4

8. Clarion App reports missing RASAPI32.DLL on Windows NT

9. Clarion DOS 3.101 and Windows NT ?

10. Windows NT and Clarion cpd2110 Memo file Crosslinks

11. Clarion 2.1 and Windows NT problems

12. Clarion 3.1 (DOS) cannot run under WIndows NT