C4 Losing data on update to a child from parent
Author Message
 C4 Losing data on update to a child from parent

Hi to Anyone Wise Enough to Help!

Losing Data on the parent update screen when  adding a child record to a child
record.

Dictionary
Customer <-->> Contacts
Customer <-->> Phones
Contacts <-->> Phones
     Phones is set up so that I don't have to have Contact for every Phone.

Application
Update Form Customers
     Browse Tab Contacts
          Update Form Contacts
               Browse Tab Phones
                    Update Form Phones

When doing a update on the Customer file enter field changes.  Before updating
the Customer, Select Change on Contact Tab.  From Contact Update Select Insert
Phone.  Enter and save a Phone.  Click ok from Contact Update.  When you return
to the Customer file, all the field changes have disappeared.

I was looking thru the code and found thiswindow.update.  I assume this will
update the Customer File.  So far I haven't found any write up on this.  I also
saw this is used in the ?OK and ?Cancel.  I figured a field flag needs to be
set to show whether it is ok or cancel.  Do you know what to set?  Am I on the
right track?  I was going to embed (set flag and thiswindow.update) in the
?Change:Contact.  What do you think?

Thanks, Nancy

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 Losing data on update to a child from parent

Quote:

> When doing a update on the Customer file enter field changes.  Before updating
> the Customer, Select Change on Contact Tab.  From Contact Update Select Insert
> Phone.  Enter and save a Phone.  Click ok from Contact Update.  When you return
> to the Customer file, all the field changes have disappeared.

One of the fields in your child files has "must be in file" for the
validity check.  That's causing a get() somewhere on the Customer file,
which clears it.  Remove that validity check and use the Action in the
properties for the lookup on the window for the field.

Dan

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. parent loses sync with child process

2. Updating parent file when child edited

3. Parent/Child/Related File updating

4. Probleme for update parents and children

5. View Parent changes made in Child Update

6. Update parent field from child?

7. I have Update Form (parent file) with Browse List (child file)

8. Update of Parent Form from Child

9. CW4 Writing to a parent file from child file's update form

10. Update Parent/Child files

11. Update parent value from child form

12. send data form child to parent