Why I don't Like HTML Help...
Author Message
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...

There's one thing that I find very annoying about HTML Help.  This one
thing annoys me enough that I have no immediate plans on switching to it.
I've not heard anyone else mention this, so I'm sure to be in the tiny
minority - but I thought I'd share it with you all anyway.  <g>

It's that stupid "Table of Contents" that is positioned to the left.  It
has a very large "wasted space" quotient.  And that is a direct result of
"non-wrapping" lines.

A prime example is the new (and wonderful) SV "FAQ System".

In that table of contents, expand the "Window Formatter" section.

Look at the title named, "Column Toolbox (Fieldbox) does not appear in the
Window Formatter".

Now, widen the table of contents so you can actually read the entire title.

Notice the huge waste of space.  In order to "comfortably" read the actual
FAQ, the damn browser window needs take about two-thirds of the horizontal
screen space on my 1280x1024 display!  Covers up too much stuff.

This issue isn't just the SV FAQ System.  All HTML Help suffers this
problem.  Including Microsoft MSDN that I frequently visit.

HTML Help just SCREAMS for wrappable text in the TOC.  As it is now, I
can't take it.  <g>

Anyone else?

Cheers,
Ron E

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:58:54 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
Ron,

AFAIAC, small price to pay for quickly navigating through large body of
data.  Having tooltips pop-up over this ensures I really don't think about
expanding the TOC.

However, I would shudder to think what the wrapped text would like.  Like
notepad handles it? Yuk!

You did ask <g>.

--
Russ

[...]

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:20:15 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...

Quote:
>AFAIAC, small price to pay for quickly navigating through large body of
>data.  Having tooltips pop-up over this ensures I really don't think
>about expanding the TOC.

>However, I would shudder to think what the wrapped text would like.
>Like notepad handles it? Yuk!

>You did ask <g>.

Yes I did.  <g>  Like I said, I am probably in a small minority.  As far as
the wrapping goes, it should be "smart" and wrap to the correct "indent"
level, etc.  Much like the HTML does for the rest of the content.  I
believe HTML can properly handle this wrapping - it's the current
implementation of the TOC's that are "dumb".

Cheers,
Ron E

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:36:26 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
I think it would too.  But if in the middle of a word....

--
Russ

Yes I did.  <g>  Like I said, I am probably in a small minority.  As far as
the wrapping goes, it should be "smart" and wrap to the correct "indent"
level, etc.  Much like the HTML does for the rest of the content.  I
believe HTML can properly handle this wrapping - it's the current
implementation of the TOC's that are "dumb".

Cheers,
Ron E

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:51:23 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
I agree, Ron. Smart wrapping would be much better. Im at 1152 x 864 on
a 19" and html help still seems big and bloated sometimes.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography
studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
organizations

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 05:03:45 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
just generate HTML instead

design your own!

Steve

use execute  shell

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:26:07 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
Surely normal HTML Help has the Show/Hide button so that you can get
rid of the TOC.

Richard

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:27:04 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...

Quote:

>Surely normal HTML Help has the Show/Hide button so that you can get
>rid of the TOC.

Not sure.  Will check.  But I don't really want to get rid of the TOC - I
like it.  Just not in its current form.  All it needs is a little evolution
to make it "right".

On the other hand, I see the displayable TOC as one of the few possible
advantages of HTML Help over the long-standing HLP help system.  If it
isn't displayed then why use HTML Help in the first place?  It's a bulkier
code base to support essentially the same thing.  Once the TOC is "fixed"
(I have a feeling that wrapping TOC text is coming, just don't know when),
I'll have to look closer at HTML Help to see what it's other "benefits" are
(not just what MS claims as benefits).  Perhaps it is portable.

Cheers,
Ron E

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:32:25 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
It is an irritant, that's for sure.

I like the fact that there is a tooltip and also some panes allow you to
click on the divider to resize to the widest entry but, in general, it could
sure use reworking.

Of course, 21 inch monitors and massive resolutions can make life a little
better.

--
- Andrew Guidroz II (Gee'Troze)

I'm not scared, me.
http://www.coonass.com SnowDog Software

Quote:
> There's one thing that I find very annoying about HTML Help.  This one
> thing annoys me enough that I have no immediate plans on switching to it.
> I've not heard anyone else mention this, so I'm sure to be in the tiny
> minority - but I thought I'd share it with you all anyway.  <g>

> It's that stupid "Table of Contents" that is positioned to the left.  It
> has a very large "wasted space" quotient.  And that is a direct result of
> "non-wrapping" lines.

> A prime example is the new (and wonderful) SV "FAQ System".

> In that table of contents, expand the "Window Formatter" section.

> Look at the title named, "Column Toolbox (Fieldbox) does not appear in the
> Window Formatter".

> Now, widen the table of contents so you can actually read the entire
title.

> Notice the huge waste of space.  In order to "comfortably" read the actual
> FAQ, the damn browser window needs take about two-thirds of the horizontal
> screen space on my 1280x1024 display!  Covers up too much stuff.

> This issue isn't just the SV FAQ System.  All HTML Help suffers this
> problem.  Including Microsoft MSDN that I frequently visit.

> HTML Help just SCREAMS for wrappable text in the TOC.  As it is now, I
> can't take it.  <g>

> Anyone else?

> Cheers,
> Ron E

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:38:09 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
Actually what works best is TWO monitors...

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Asssociates, LLC.

Matrox G450 Dual Head...

Quote:
> It is an irritant, that's for sure.

> I like the fact that there is a tooltip and also some panes allow you to
> click on the divider to resize to the widest entry but, in general, it
could
> sure use reworking.

> Of course, 21 inch monitors and massive resolutions can make life a little
> better.

> --
> - Andrew Guidroz II (Gee'Troze)

> I'm not scared, me.
> http://www.coonass.com SnowDog Software

> > There's one thing that I find very annoying about HTML Help.  This one
> > thing annoys me enough that I have no immediate plans on switching to
it.
> > I've not heard anyone else mention this, so I'm sure to be in the tiny
> > minority - but I thought I'd share it with you all anyway.  <g>

> > It's that stupid "Table of Contents" that is positioned to the left.  It
> > has a very large "wasted space" quotient.  And that is a direct result
of
> > "non-wrapping" lines.

> > A prime example is the new (and wonderful) SV "FAQ System".

> > In that table of contents, expand the "Window Formatter" section.

> > Look at the title named, "Column Toolbox (Fieldbox) does not appear in
the
> > Window Formatter".

> > Now, widen the table of contents so you can actually read the entire
> title.

> > Notice the huge waste of space.  In order to "comfortably" read the
actual
> > FAQ, the damn browser window needs take about two-thirds of the
horizontal
> > screen space on my 1280x1024 display!  Covers up too much stuff.

> > This issue isn't just the SV FAQ System.  All HTML Help suffers this
> > problem.  Including Microsoft MSDN that I frequently visit.

> > HTML Help just SCREAMS for wrappable text in the TOC.  As it is now, I
> > can't take it.  <g>

> > Anyone else?

> > Cheers,
> > Ron E

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:00:30 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...

Quote:
> On the other hand, I see the displayable TOC as one of the few possible
> advantages of HTML Help over the long-standing HLP help system.

I agree with you there.

Richard

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 00:34:31 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
Regular winhelp has a decent toc nowadays. Its kept in the .cnt file.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography
studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
organizations

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:23:24 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
I think the idea behind the TOC is to be wide enough for you to skim the
entries and see if they might apply, rather than reading each entry in it's
entirety. A quick click will tell you if that's the one you want. If you
wrap the TOC:

Column Toolbox (Fieldbox)
 does not appear in the
 Window Formatter

then your monitor won't be nearly tall enough :-)

Regards,
  JJ

Quote:
> It's that stupid "Table of Contents" that is positioned to the left.  It
> has a very large "wasted space" quotient.  And that is a direct result of
> "non-wrapping" lines.

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 04:16:53 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...

Quote:

>Regular winhelp has a decent toc nowadays. Its kept in the .cnt file.

You're right!  I forgot about that.  Sure reduces one of HTML Help's "few
possible advantages ".  <g>

Cheers,
Ron E

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:33:47 GMT
 Why I don't Like HTML Help...
Hi Ron,

Quote:
>Not sure.  Will check.  But I don't really want to get rid of the TOC - I
>like it.  Just not in its current form.  All it needs is a little evolution
>to make it "right".

To me, horizontally split windows work usually better than vertically
split windows.  Showing the TOC above the topic would be my way of
doing it, but I'm not MS<g>

Best regards,

Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:35:55 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Why patterns don't suck

2. why awk don't display the results?

3. Animated Gifs Some work some don't why

4. Why don't Memo Entry Fields wrap?????

5. I don't understand why my haskell program works

6. Why I don't use Dylan

7. Why collected languages don't need a free operation

8. Why don't large companies use Ada?

9. Why don't my textures map correctly?

10. Why don't Paragraph reply?

11. why don't crash?