importing ascii file
Author Message
 importing ascii file

I want to import an ascii file which I think has tabs in it to
seperate fields there is a hex value of 09.  if you look at the file
using edit it is all spaced out but when viewing with a hex editor
this value seperates the text.  How can I read in each line and
isolate the fields according to the hex 09 value

Thanks in advance

David Inglis

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:16:57 GMT
 importing ascii file
David

It sounds like the file is an ASCII file "delimited with tabs". If so
consult the on-line help on Basic Database File Driver Strings.

What I do is declare the file format as Basic in the dictionary. Then in the
Properties window type  "/COMMA=9" (without the double quotes) in the
"driver options" field. Then add fieds as required. Thereafter I use the
standard Process template to import the data.

HTH

--
Derek M Henderson
Cash Controller

Quote:
> I want to import an ascii file which I think has tabs in it to
> seperate fields there is a hex value of 09.  if you look at the file
> using edit it is all spaced out but when viewing with a hex editor
> this value seperates the text.  How can I read in each line and
> isolate the fields according to the hex 09 value

> Thanks in advance

> David Inglis

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:18:56 GMT

1. Trouble importing ascii file into .tps database file.

2. Importing ASCII File-HELP

3. Importing Ascii File

4. Importing from an Ascii File

5. Importing and appending ASCII files...

6. Import ASCII data into a DBV file

7. clipper code to import ASCII to a .dbf file

8. Need converter program to translate ascii to ebcdic in mixes ascii/binary file

9. Import Data With File Import

10. Accessing variables created after import in imported files

11. import ascii to apl ws

12. ASCII Import & Date Formats