Outlook/Outlook Express replacement
Author Message
 Outlook/Outlook Express replacement

I'm about to purchase a general-purpose toolkit, like the Handy Tools.
But first, I need some advice from users of these toolkits. These are
my questions:

Is there a toolkit which provides enough functionality that I can do
all my email processing without resorting to Outlook/Outlook Express
or any other email client?

If not, then is there a toolkit which replaces 80% of the
functionality of a full email client? Like, can it get email, manage
OE's identities, manage OE's folders, etc.

If a general purpose toolkit is not available which can do these
things, is there an email-only product which will?

Is the toolkit well designed and easy to work with?

I'm not looking for testimonials, and I'd prefer not to hear from
developers, only users. I want my application to at least be able to
send bulk email from my database info, but I'd also like to do more
management type things of my Outlook Express mail client.

Any feedback on the state of the art in email tools for CW55 would be
highly welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Grady Bradley

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:53:56 GMT
 Outlook/Outlook Express replacement
HandyTools can do all you want and even comes w/ demo source apps to copy
and modify -- took me < 35mins to copy his email window into my apps w/
cosmetic changes and gave to my user by end of the same day I bought it.

Quote:
> I'm about to purchase a general-purpose toolkit, like the Handy Tools.
> But first, I need some advice from users of these toolkits. These are
> my questions:

> Is there a toolkit which provides enough functionality that I can do
> all my email processing without resorting to Outlook/Outlook Express
> or any other email client?

> If not, then is there a toolkit which replaces 80% of the
> functionality of a full email client? Like, can it get email, manage
> OE's identities, manage OE's folders, etc.

> If a general purpose toolkit is not available which can do these
> things, is there an email-only product which will?

> Is the toolkit well designed and easy to work with?

> I'm not looking for testimonials, and I'd prefer not to hear from
> developers, only users. I want my application to at least be able to
> send bulk email from my database info, but I'd also like to do more
> management type things of my Outlook Express mail client.

> Any feedback on the state of the art in email tools for CW55 would be
> highly welcome.

> Thanks in advance!
> Grady Bradley

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:15:16 GMT
 Outlook/Outlook Express replacement
I'm a HandyUser and I can vote for it but I've had plenty of trouble -
though not because of deficiencies with the tools - I'm a novice.  But your
enemy will be Microsoft.  I do batch email via MAPI using HandyTools but
Outlook and OE behave quite differently.  For example, I have never been
able to add multiple attachments to an Outlook message but the same code
worked with OE.  Then there's the whole business of Working online vs
offline or of being connected vs. not.  These issues make automation
difficult because the end user is constantly seeing messages from these
applications.  It's a bit of a mess.  My preference would be to use SMTP
because it's the most reliable and does not interface with other apps but it
was just no good for my need.  Good luck.

Quote:
> I'm about to purchase a general-purpose toolkit, like the Handy Tools.
> But first, I need some advice from users of these toolkits. These are
> my questions:

> Is there a toolkit which provides enough functionality that I can do
> all my email processing without resorting to Outlook/Outlook Express
> or any other email client?

> If not, then is there a toolkit which replaces 80% of the
> functionality of a full email client? Like, can it get email, manage
> OE's identities, manage OE's folders, etc.

> If a general purpose toolkit is not available which can do these
> things, is there an email-only product which will?

> Is the toolkit well designed and easy to work with?

> I'm not looking for testimonials, and I'd prefer not to hear from
> developers, only users. I want my application to at least be able to
> send bulk email from my database info, but I'd also like to do more
> management type things of my Outlook Express mail client.

> Any feedback on the state of the art in email tools for CW55 would be
> highly welcome.

> Thanks in advance!
> Grady Bradley

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 04:44:53 GMT
 Outlook/Outlook Express replacement
Thanks for your advice, Kevin. Sounds like the Handytools are the way
to go.
Grady

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:15:16 -0700, "Kevin Erskine"

Quote:

>HandyTools can do all you want and even comes w/ demo source apps to copy
>and modify -- took me < 35mins to copy his email window into my apps w/
>cosmetic changes and gave to my user by end of the same day I bought it.

>> I'm about to purchase a general-purpose toolkit, like the Handy Tools.
>> But first, I need some advice from users of these toolkits. These are
>> my questions:

>> Is there a toolkit which provides enough functionality that I can do
>> all my email processing without resorting to Outlook/Outlook Express
>> or any other email client?

>> If not, then is there a toolkit which replaces 80% of the
>> functionality of a full email client? Like, can it get email, manage
>> OE's identities, manage OE's folders, etc.

>> If a general purpose toolkit is not available which can do these
>> things, is there an email-only product which will?

>> Is the toolkit well designed and easy to work with?

>> I'm not looking for testimonials, and I'd prefer not to hear from
>> developers, only users. I want my application to at least be able to
>> send bulk email from my database info, but I'd also like to do more
>> management type things of my Outlook Express mail client.

>> Any feedback on the state of the art in email tools for CW55 would be
>> highly welcome.

>> Thanks in advance!
>> Grady Bradley

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:57:10 GMT
 Outlook/Outlook Express replacement
Thanks for your invaluable advice, Kingsley. Taking the time to
explain the issues deserves my gratitude. Sounds like Handytools is
the way to go, although I can see the problems with O/OE coming!
Grady

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:44:53 GMT, "Kingsley Klosson"

Quote:

>I'm a HandyUser and I can vote for it but I've had plenty of trouble -
>though not because of deficiencies with the tools - I'm a novice.  But your
>enemy will be Microsoft.  I do batch email via MAPI using HandyTools but
>Outlook and OE behave quite differently.  For example, I have never been
>able to add multiple attachments to an Outlook message but the same code
>worked with OE.  Then there's the whole business of Working online vs
>offline or of being connected vs. not.  These issues make automation
>difficult because the end user is constantly seeing messages from these
>applications.  It's a bit of a mess.  My preference would be to use SMTP
>because it's the most reliable and does not interface with other apps but it
>was just no good for my need.  Good luck.

>> I'm about to purchase a general-purpose toolkit, like the Handy Tools.
>> But first, I need some advice from users of these toolkits. These are
>> my questions:

>> Is there a toolkit which provides enough functionality that I can do
>> all my email processing without resorting to Outlook/Outlook Express
>> or any other email client?

>> If not, then is there a toolkit which replaces 80% of the
>> functionality of a full email client? Like, can it get email, manage
>> OE's identities, manage OE's folders, etc.

>> If a general purpose toolkit is not available which can do these
>> things, is there an email-only product which will?

>> Is the toolkit well designed and easy to work with?

>> I'm not looking for testimonials, and I'd prefer not to hear from
>> developers, only users. I want my application to at least be able to
>> send bulk email from my database info, but I'd also like to do more
>> management type things of my Outlook Express mail client.

>> Any feedback on the state of the art in email tools for CW55 would be
>> highly welcome.

>> Thanks in advance!
>> Grady Bradley

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:58:39 GMT

1. import contact list from Outlook or Outlook Express

2. How do I trigger a send/receive in Outlook or Outlook Express

3. Test to debug Outlook Express Problem

4. Exporting from Outlook Express

5. Ole and Outlook express

6. IE40 Outlook Express Mail

7. Offtopic: Losing ng messages in Outlook Express

8. Replacing adressbook ms outlook express

9. Not Clarion Related - Outlook Express

10. Off Topic - Outlook Express Question

11. Outlook Express

12. Outlook Express Address Book??