Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Author Message
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC

Is it possible to connect to a TPS file using Soft Velocity's ODBC driver?
If yes, how!

Thanks for your help
Sukhendu Barua

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:46:30 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Sukhendu,

You can purchase the TPS ODBC driver from SV sales.  Contact them at

Michael Gould

Quote:
> Is it possible to connect to a TPS file using Soft Velocity's ODBC driver?
> If yes, how!

> Thanks for your help
> Sukhendu Barua

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:45:51 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
You didn't answer his question, Michael.

The answer is Yes, you can connect to Topspeed databases with the ODBC
client from SoftVelocity.
You have to set up your data source name just like any other ODBC DSN.

--
Ben E. Brady
http://www.clariondeveloper.com/diabetes/

Quote:
> Sukhendu,

> You can purchase the TPS ODBC driver from SV sales.  Contact them at

> Michael Gould

> > Is it possible to connect to a TPS file using Soft Velocity's ODBC
driver?
> > If yes, how!

> > Thanks for your help
> > Sukhendu Barua

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:16:22 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Thanks Michael and Ben,

I have the TopSpeed Developer version of ODBC driver and set that up for tps
files (I chose the directory for tps files).  When trying to connect, get
the error: (Expected lexical element not found: [(37000)] creating
dbo.MyFilename.

Any help is appreciated.
Sukhendu Barua

Quote:
> You didn't answer his question, Michael.

> The answer is Yes, you can connect to Topspeed databases with the ODBC
> client from SoftVelocity.
> You have to set up your data source name just like any other ODBC DSN.

> --
> Ben E. Brady
> http://www.clariondeveloper.com/diabetes/
> Read the article... don't wait for the movie...

> > Sukhendu,

> > You can purchase the TPS ODBC driver from SV sales.  Contact them at

> > Michael Gould

> > > Is it possible to connect to a TPS file using Soft Velocity's ODBC
> driver?
> > > If yes, how!

> > > Thanks for your help
> > > Sukhendu Barua

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:59:04 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Remove the 'dbo.' from the table filename in the DCT.

Ben Kim

Quote:
> Thanks Michael and Ben,

> I have the TopSpeed Developer version of ODBC driver and set that up for
tps
> files (I chose the directory for tps files).  When trying to connect, get
> the error: (Expected lexical element not found: [(37000)] creating
> dbo.MyFilename.

> Any help is appreciated.
> Sukhendu Barua

> > You didn't answer his question, Michael.

> > The answer is Yes, you can connect to Topspeed databases with the ODBC
> > client from SoftVelocity.
> > You have to set up your data source name just like any other ODBC DSN.

> > --
> > Ben E. Brady
> > http://www.clariondeveloper.com/diabetes/
> > Read the article... don't wait for the movie...

> > > Sukhendu,

> > > You can purchase the TPS ODBC driver from SV sales.  Contact them at

> > > Michael Gould

> > driver?

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:51:37 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Removed dbo, same problem.  Removed the
filename also from the Fullpathname field in the dictionary, same error.
Have no problem connecting to MSSQL-ODBC.

Sukhendu Barua

Quote:
> Remove the 'dbo.' from the table filename in the DCT.

> Ben Kim

> > Thanks Michael and Ben,

> > I have the TopSpeed Developer version of ODBC driver and set that up for
> tps
> > files (I chose the directory for tps files).  When trying to connect,
get
> > the error: (Expected lexical element not found: [(37000)] creating
> > dbo.MyFilename.

> > Any help is appreciated.
> > Sukhendu Barua

> > > You didn't answer his question, Michael.

> > > The answer is Yes, you can connect to Topspeed databases with the ODBC
> > > client from SoftVelocity.
> > > You have to set up your data source name just like any other ODBC DSN.

> > > --
> > > Ben E. Brady
> > > http://www.clariondeveloper.com/diabetes/
> > > Read the article... don't wait for the movie...

> > > driver?

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:20:58 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Could you post the DCT?  I can try it here and see if I get the same errors.
In the mean time, check ClarionFoundry for date/time issues that the TPS
driver has; I believe you need to specify which fields are date and times (I
have seen this lexical error before when trying to access tables with
Date/Times and I did not have the appropriate parameters set).

Ben Kim

Quote:
> Hi Ben,

> Thanks for your suggestion.  Removed dbo, same problem.  Removed the
> filename also from the Fullpathname field in the dictionary, same error.
> Have no problem connecting to MSSQL-ODBC.

> Sukhendu Barua

> > Remove the 'dbo.' from the table filename in the DCT.

> > Ben Kim

> > > Thanks Michael and Ben,

> > > I have the TopSpeed Developer version of ODBC driver and set that up
for
> > tps
> > > files (I chose the directory for tps files).  When trying to connect,
> get
> > > the error: (Expected lexical element not found: [(37000)] creating
> > > dbo.MyFilename.

> > > Any help is appreciated.
> > > Sukhendu Barua

ODBC
DSN.

at

ODBC

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:57:50 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Sukhendu,

Quote:
> I have the TopSpeed Developer version of ODBC driver and set that up for tps
> files (I chose the directory for tps files).  When trying to connect, get

Try selecting one file only.
I've had strange connection errors too when selecting "directory".

Those started with the ODBC V3.
The DSN's I made with V2 are working perfect.
New one's, made with V3, don't work.

Never found a solution:(

--

Best regards,
Maarten

"I know what I know but I do not know what you don't know"

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:14:45 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Thanks Maarten,

I tried with file and it did not work either.  With file option, the file
must exists.  In this case I want ODBC drive to create the file if it does
not exists since the dictionary has the create attribute.

Cheers,
Sukhendu Barua

Quote:
> Sukhendu,

> > I have the TopSpeed Developer version of ODBC driver and set that up for
tps
> > files (I chose the directory for tps files).  When trying to connect,
get
> Try selecting one file only.
> I've had strange connection errors too when selecting "directory".

> Those started with the ODBC V3.
> The DSN's I made with V2 are working perfect.
> New one's, made with V3, don't work.

> Never found a solution:(

> --

> Best regards,
> Maarten
> CDD3.1, C5EEb - ABC & C5.5.08EE
> Certainly Clarion Developer

> "I know what I know but I do not know what you don't know"

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 06:14:08 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Hi Ben,

This is fantastic!  Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your
persistency in finding the solution to my problem.

I wish clarion ODBC could behave like other ODBC drivers such as Sybase or
MSSQL.
My main reason for connecting to TPS files via ODBC is to use Prop:SQL
statements.  Goal is to write an app that will work with any backend.
Having the limitation to clarion ODBC driver as you pointed out, I have to
change the dictionary to make this work.

Once again, thank you Ben.

Cheers,
Sukhendu

Quote:
> Here is the test app in C55  - read the source module for comments about
> CREATE

> Ben Kim

> > Thanks Maarten,

> > I tried with file and it did not work either.  With file option, the
file
> > must exists.  In this case I want ODBC drive to create the file if it
does
> > not exists since the dictionary has the create attribute.

> > Cheers,
> > Sukhendu Barua

> > > Sukhendu,

> for
> > tps
> > get
> > > Try selecting one file only.
> > > I've had strange connection errors too when selecting "directory".

> > > Those started with the ODBC V3.
> > > The DSN's I made with V2 are working perfect.
> > > New one's, made with V3, don't work.

> > > Never found a solution:(

> > > --

> > > Best regards,
> > > Maarten
> > > CDD3.1, C5EEb - ABC & C5.5.08EE
> > > Certainly Clarion Developer

> > > "I know what I know but I do not know what you don't know"

Mon, 19 Dec 2005 06:50:11 GMT
 Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC
Ah I have been done that road (generic app that connects to almost any
backend)...  This is just the beginning of your problems ;-)

Anyways, good luck and if you have any more issues, just post and one of us
will answer <g>.  By the way you are quite welcome!

Ben Kim
C55EE Rev H
C60EE EA 4.5

P.S. In order to get around the 'name' issue create a global field and use
it in the table name instead.  That way depending on the driver, you can
change the name of the table before opening:

IE:

In your global data embed: GLO:MyTable    CSTRING(254)

In your DCT
File name:     !GLO:MyTable

Before opening your files for the first time (Depends on how your system is
designed where this goes!)

CASE MyTable{PROP:Driver}
OF 'MSSQL'
    GLO:MyTable = 'dbo.MyTable'
OF 'TOPSPEED' !I am not sure of the exact names here off the top of my
head - but you get the idea
    GLO:MyTable = '"MyTable.Tps"' !Notice double quotes are contained here
END

As far as your primary key issue - I can investigate that but I do not think
you can change a key's status to primary at runtime without additional 3rd
party tools (IE: XVIEW/XLIB)

Phew!  Here I go again!

Quote:
> Hi Ben,

> This is fantastic!  Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your
> persistency in finding the solution to my problem.

> I wish clarion ODBC could behave like other ODBC drivers such as Sybase or
> MSSQL.
> My main reason for connecting to TPS files via ODBC is to use Prop:SQL
> statements.  Goal is to write an app that will work with any backend.
> Having the limitation to clarion ODBC driver as you pointed out, I have to
> change the dictionary to make this work.

> Once again, thank you Ben.

> Cheers,
> Sukhendu

> > Here is the test app in C55  - read the source module for comments about
> > CREATE

> > Ben Kim

> > > Thanks Maarten,

> > > I tried with file and it did not work either.  With file option, the
> file
> > > must exists.  In this case I want ODBC drive to create the file if it
> does
> > > not exists since the dictionary has the create attribute.

> > > Cheers,
> > > Sukhendu Barua

> > for
> > > tps
> connect,
> > > get

Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:45:49 GMT

1. TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

2. DATE vs LONG in .tps files and ODBC

3. ODBC + TPS Files on Client Site

4. ODBC for TPS file format

5. ODBC interface for .tps files

6. Changing from TPS files to ODBC

7. ODBC connection to clarion database files (tps)

8. ODBC for TPS files

9. ODBC for TopSpeed (*.tps) files

10. ODBC and TPS files

11. Is there ans ODBC driver for .TPS files?

12. Connecting to a TopSpeed database file via ODBC from ASP (VBScript)