32bit vs 16bit
Author Message
 32bit vs 16bit

This is maby a stupid question, and not only clarion related, but I'll ask
it anyway.

What is the mainly differences between compiling in 16-bit and 32-bit ?

I notice that it is easier to multitask when I run the 32-bit program, but
what are the basic differences
in the way the programs are working ?

Thanks

Dag.

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 32bit vs 16bit
The main differences between 16bit and 32bit are in the following areas:

16bit applications can only access a maximum of 16Mb of ram. 32bit systems
can access 4Gb maximum.

A 16bit application has to manage it's memory in chunks (segments) no
greater than 64Kb. In fact, except with special data handling in software,
the maximum datum handled is 64Kb.
A 32bit application can actually treat it's 4G space as flat address
space(contiguous memory), or page it's memory. This is ofcause is O/S
dependant.

16bit applications share global heap memory between them. Therefore if one
is badly behaved it will bring down all the others. Each 32bit application
runs in it's own personal 4Gb virtual address space. A 32bit application is
not allowed to directly access another 32bit applications memory space.

16bit applications multi task co-operatively. If one misbehaved program hogs
the CPU, other applications are starved of CPU time. 32bit applications use
true pre-emptive multitasking. That is, applications running at the same
priority are scheduled CPU time in a round robin sequence. Higher priority
applications are scheduled more CPU time than lower priority applications.
While an application may give up some of it's time slice to the O/S to
re-scheduled to other applications, the application can never use more than
it's allocated time.

Owen Brunker

Quote:

>This is maby a stupid question, and not only clarion related, but I'll ask
>it anyway.

>What is the mainly differences between compiling in 16-bit and 32-bit ?

>I notice that it is easier to multitask when I run the 32-bit program, but
>what are the basic differences
>in the way the programs are working ?

>Thanks

>Dag.

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 32bit vs 16bit Protect Mode

2. 32bit vs 16bit code

3. 32bit menu vs 16bit

4. 16bit vs. 32bit

5. Problem: Changing from 16bit to 32bit

6. Going from 16bit to 32bit

7. 16bit to 32bit conversion

8. 32bit runtime errors - 16bit runs fim

9. Detecting 16bit or 32bit OS

10. Help: 16bit or 32bit-dll

11. Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit