Email Expert Advice Needed- Problems decoding email from Korea
Author Message
 Email Expert Advice Needed- Problems decoding email from Korea

Hello,

We recently ran across a problem with our own email inbox software.  We use
Catalyst Socket Tools library to receive and send email and have had no
complaints from our customers who send/receive email within the United
States.
However, one customer of ours communicates via email with a company in Korea
daily.  The Korean company sends an email in English using OE to my client,
but is received by our email client with the body of the email all
scrambled.  (Other email clients do not exhibit this problem)

The encoding format does not seem to be the problem (email source shows
base64 which is quite common and supported by our email program.)  We
strongly believe the issue lies in the charset="ks_c_5601-1987" tag in the
source of this email.  We are not doing anything with this tag and believe
we are supposed to do something with it in order for the message to be
legible.  The following is a piece of the email source coming from Korea.

If any email experts out there can tell me what is going wrong and point me
in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Doug

Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:27:36 GMT
 Email Expert Advice Needed- Problems decoding email from Korea
Doug, check the following MS support page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q287946

Briefly, MS states "IMPORTANT: Outlook supports sending and receiving mail
in these code pages only if the operating system has the appropriate
national language support (NLS) files for the code page conversion that is
installed."

The issue is just that, in order to read these messages (which are probably
in Korean) you would need to install language support for it at the OS
level.

Mike

Quote:
> Hello,

> We recently ran across a problem with our own email inbox software.  We
use
> Catalyst Socket Tools library to receive and send email and have had no
> complaints from our customers who send/receive email within the United
> States.
> However, one customer of ours communicates via email with a company in
Korea
> daily.  The Korean company sends an email in English using OE to my
client,
> but is received by our email client with the body of the email all
> scrambled.  (Other email clients do not exhibit this problem)

> The encoding format does not seem to be the problem (email source shows
> base64 which is quite common and supported by our email program.)  We
> strongly believe the issue lies in the charset="ks_c_5601-1987" tag in the
> source of this email.  We are not doing anything with this tag and believe
> we are supposed to do something with it in order for the message to be
> legible.  The following is a piece of the email source coming from Korea.

> If any email experts out there can tell me what is going wrong and point
me
> in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

> Thanks,
> Doug

Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:45:38 GMT
 Email Expert Advice Needed- Problems decoding email from Korea
Problem resolved.
Thanks anyway.

Doug

Quote:
> Hello,

> We recently ran across a problem with our own email inbox software.  We
use
> Catalyst Socket Tools library to receive and send email and have had no
> complaints from our customers who send/receive email within the United
> States.
> However, one customer of ours communicates via email with a company in
Korea
> daily.  The Korean company sends an email in English using OE to my
client,
> but is received by our email client with the body of the email all
> scrambled.  (Other email clients do not exhibit this problem)

> The encoding format does not seem to be the problem (email source shows
> base64 which is quite common and supported by our email program.)  We
> strongly believe the issue lies in the charset="ks_c_5601-1987" tag in the
> source of this email.  We are not doing anything with this tag and believe
> we are supposed to do something with it in order for the message to be
> legible.  The following is a piece of the email source coming from Korea.

> If any email experts out there can tell me what is going wrong and point
me
> in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

> Thanks,
> Doug

Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:23:28 GMT

1. decoding Email subjects?

2. decoding mime email in tcl

3. Launching the default email client with a specified email address

4. Topica Email List Directory A very active email list for Win32Forth

5. Lost email formatting Email !

6. 7/8 bit email (Was: Re: OT: Uitgelijnde email verzenden)

7. email.Message question. including email attachments

8. LCSI email address needed

9. Email status message needed

10. Digitalk email address needed

11. Need Expert Advice From All of You

12. NEED ADVICE - MACHINE FOR EXPERT SYS. Development