TPS to DBF format
Author Message
 TPS to DBF format

Hi All,

Can I convert the *.TPS file to *.DBF format , It seems that I can do it in
CCVT in CPD2.1 ? if it can be, what is the tools ?

thanks in advance !

William

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format

Quote:
>Hi All,

>Can I convert the *.TPS file to *.DBF format , It seems that I can do it in
>CCVT in CPD2.1 ? if it can be, what is the tools ?

>thanks in advance !

>William

Hi!
No, you can't use CCVT with TPS format. You have to import TPS into
the dictionary (any Clarion for Windows version will do), then create
second file with exact layout but with DBF driver and generate code
for conversion. Inside the dictionary you can copy/paste original file
to speed up the creation of DBF file. Compile and run the code. That's
it.

HTH

Miroslav

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
*** Miroslav Benak

*** Clarion Paranoid Home
*** www.open.hr/~mbenak
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format
Miroslav Benak,

Thanks for your advise. So that it can be done by programmer only, not by
end user , isn't it ? or it has a third party program to do it , so that the
end user can easily to convert the TPS to DBF or XLS.

William

Quote:

> >Hi All,

> >Can I convert the *.TPS file to *.DBF format , It seems that I can do it
in
> >CCVT in CPD2.1 ? if it can be, what is the tools ?

> >thanks in advance !

> >William

> Hi!
> No, you can't use CCVT with TPS format. You have to import TPS into
> the dictionary (any Clarion for Windows version will do), then create
> second file with exact layout but with DBF driver and generate code
> for conversion. Inside the dictionary you can copy/paste original file
> to speed up the creation of DBF file. Compile and run the code. That's
> it.

> HTH

> Miroslav

> *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
> *** Miroslav Benak

> *** Clarion Paranoid Home
> *** www.open.hr/~mbenak
> *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format

Quote:
>Miroslav Benak,

>Thanks for your advise. So that it can be done by programmer only, not by
>end user , isn't it ? or it has a third party program to do it , so that the
>end user can easily to convert the TPS to DBF or XLS.

>William

Well, there is a solution, but you have to buy ODBC driver for TPS
database. TopSpeed sells this. Once you have it installed, you can
access all data in your TPS database from Excel, Access or other
program which can use ODBC.
Visit www.topspeed.com and look for ODBC driver.

HTH

Miroslav

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
*** Miroslav Benak

*** Clarion Paranoid Home
*** www.open.hr/~mbenak
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format

Quote:
> Miroslav Benak,

> Thanks for your advise. So that it can be done by programmer only, not by
> end user , isn't it ? or it has a third party program to do it , so that the
> end user can easily to convert the TPS to DBF or XLS.

William, a different approach to this would be to use this commercial
Clarion add-on product.

Product Description - IMPEX Import Export Templates, MFG - Sterling Data
Internet Link - http://www.sterlingdata.com/impex.htm

IMPEX is designed to allow easy, user-controlled import and export of
data using templates which automatically read file format information
(such as Field Names, Field Types etc) from the Data Dictionary (export)
or from the file header (import).  Even the file structures are
constructed automatically.  The demo will import any dBase or ASCII file
so you can test it on your own data files.

EXPORT/IMPORT

dBASE III and IV and Comma Delimited ASCII formats supported

Many options available to the end user.

Dave
--
From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application,
Newsgroup - Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format
David,

IMPEX may be a great product for some and the concept is certainly
intriguing, but I found it way too "involved" to implement.

Al

Quote:

> William, a different approach to this would be to use this commercial
> Clarion add-on product.

> Product Description - IMPEX Import Export Templates, MFG - Sterling Data
> Internet Link - http://www.sterlingdata.com/impex.htm

> IMPEX is designed to allow easy, user-controlled import and export of
> data using templates which automatically read file format information
> (such as Field Names, Field Types etc) from the Data Dictionary (export)
> or from the file header (import).  Even the file structures are
> constructed automatically.  The demo will import any dBase or ASCII file
> so you can test it on your own data files.

> EXPORT/IMPORT

> dBASE III and IV and Comma Delimited ASCII formats supported

> Many options available to the end user.

> Dave
> --
> From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

> Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
> Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application,
> Newsgroup - Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
> http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format

Quote:
> David,

> IMPEX may be a great product for some and the concept is certainly
> intriguing, but I found it way too "involved" to implement.

Al, are you saying, it's not for the faint hearted! :-)

No, it's not as simple as the old CCVT.EXE, but much more powerful in the
long run. If you take the example app, substitute one of your own files
in place of the demodata.tps, you can have a useful app in a short time,
and adding more files is mostly a matter of copying and renaming some
procedures.

I agree that the docs could be re-written to simplify implementation, but
for those with the needs of the features of IMPEX, it is well worth any
extra time you may expend for such a very useful tool, IMHO! ;-)

Dave
--
From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application,
Newsgroup - Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format

Quote:
> David,

> IMPEX may be a great product for some and the concept is certainly
> intriguing, but I found it way too "involved" to implement.

Al, are you saying, it's not for the faint hearted! :-)

No, it's not as simple as the old CCVT.EXE, but much more powerful in the
long run. If you take the example app, substitute one of your own files
in place of the demodata.tps, you can have a useful app in a short time,
and adding more files is mostly a matter of copying and renaming some
procedures.

I agree that the docs could be re-written to simplify implementation, but
for those with the needs of the features of IMPEX, it is well worth any
extra time you may expend for such a very useful tool, IMHO! ;-)

Dave
--
From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application,
Newsgroup - Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Mon, 02 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format
David,

You're right, it's certainly not for the "faint hearted".  Having to
first import a _large_ number of "foreign" and therefore totally
mysterious files into my dictionary and then using a TXA to add
functionality isn't something I care to attempt with a production app.

After fooling around with it for a couple of hours in a test app, I
never did figure out how to make it do what I needed (simple CSV file;
no DBF) and finally threw it out as "more trouble than it's worth".
Frankly, had I known at the beginning what was required to use IMPEX,
I'd not have gone down that road.  I now simply write import/export
procedures myself by hand; easy enough to do.  But as they say "Your
mileage may vary" <g>.

Al

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS to DBF format

Quote:
> David,
> After fooling around with it for a couple of hours in a test app, I
> never did figure out how to make it do what I needed (simple CSV file;
> no DBF) and finally threw it out as "more trouble than it's worth".

Al, When I initially looked at IMPEX implementation, I felt the same way as you, too much work to start from scratch using Mike's methods, so I made my import/export option a separate program (which might not be suitable for others) from the beginning. So I took the IMPEX example, added my files to the DCT, and modified the app for a similar look of my main app. So I was able to get up and running in a short time. Also, it was only available in Legacy at the time as well,
and my main apps were ABC.

Since that beginning, I have found IMPEX extremely robust and useful, and Mike has been one of the premier third party people to work with - IMHO!

Dave
--
From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application,
Newsgroup - Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Does not work with TPS but works with DBF

2. Cannot find the right record using random read in TPS but can find in DBF

3. Updating a TPS file with DBF file

4. Convert dbf to tps

5. help w/file conversion: dbf to tps

6. TPS 2 DBF Please

7. Converting *.dbf to *.tps

8. Converting TPS file to DBF

9. DBF - TPS file conversion problem.

10. Export .tps to .xls or .dbf

11. How to convert simple .DAT files to .DBF format

12. Clipper DBF->DBV link format