XP to W2K - a couiple of questions
Author Message
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions

I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
2 questions:
1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need to do a
fresh install?
2) if I do a fresh install I am going to change the settings for my hard
drive. I want as much speed as possible for compiling purposes. Do achieve
this with the hardward I have would using FAT32 with 512 clusters be my best
bet?

Thank you - Ed Campbell

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:24:27 GMT
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions
Ed,

Why would you want to go backwards?  IMO XP is a much more stable
environment than W2K.

Just Curious!

Ben

Quote:
> I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
> 2 questions:
> 1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need to do
> fresh install?
> 2) if I do a fresh install I am going to change the settings for my hard
> drive. I want as much speed as possible for compiling purposes. Do achieve
> this with the hardward I have would using FAT32 with 512 clusters be my
best
> bet?

> Thank you - Ed Campbell

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:29:23 GMT
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions

Quote:
> I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
> 2 questions:
> 1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need
to do a
> fresh install?

Ed,
I don't know the answer to your question off the top of my head, but
if it were me I'd do a fresh install anyway
--
Paul Attryde
www.attryde.com/clarion

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:42:22 GMT
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions
Ed,

  I never do a upgrade or "upgrade" of a OS, only clean installs for me.. FAT32
vs NTFS has no difference in compiling Clarion applications from what I have
seen. I did find a big increase in speed of the OS in general in "upgrading"
from XP to W2K.

Ron

Quote:

> I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
> 2 questions:
> 1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need to do a
> fresh install?
> 2) if I do a fresh install I am going to change the settings for my hard
> drive. I want as much speed as possible for compiling purposes. Do achieve
> this with the hardward I have would using FAT32 with 512 clusters be my best
> bet?

> Thank you - Ed Campbell

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:42:59 GMT
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions
be sure to install xp service pack 1 - with out sp1 the ide is not stable.
jim kane

Quote:
> I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
> 2 questions:
> 1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need to do
> fresh install?
> 2) if I do a fresh install I am going to change the settings for my hard
> drive. I want as much speed as possible for compiling purposes. Do achieve
> this with the hardward I have would using FAT32 with 512 clusters be my
best
> bet?

> Thank you - Ed Campbell

Sun, 15 May 2005 11:52:41 GMT
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions
Ben,

See Ron's answer below. Mine is the same, my 2.4ghz with XP is only slightly
faster than my 800mhz with W2K.
I want speed, speed and more speed!!! XP just is too sluggish from what I've
seen.
I like it overall and have not had much problem with stability but it does
not give me the speed I want.

Ed

Quote:
> Ed,

> Why would you want to go backwards?  IMO XP is a much more stable
> environment than W2K.

> Just Curious!

> Ben

> > I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
> > 2 questions:
> > 1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need to
do
> > fresh install?
> > 2) if I do a fresh install I am going to change the settings for my hard
> > drive. I want as much speed as possible for compiling purposes. Do
achieve
> > this with the hardward I have would using FAT32 with 512 clusters be my
> best
> > bet?

> > Thank you - Ed Campbell

Mon, 16 May 2005 12:18:41 GMT
 XP to W2K - a couiple of questions
Thank you to everyone for their input.

Ed

Quote:
> I'm going to switch my new laptop from XP to W2K.
> 2 questions:
> 1) does anyone know if I can "upgrade" from XP to W2K, or do I need to do
> fresh install?
> 2) if I do a fresh install I am going to change the settings for my hard
> drive. I want as much speed as possible for compiling purposes. Do achieve
> this with the hardward I have would using FAT32 with 512 clusters be my
best
> bet?

> Thank you - Ed Campbell

Tue, 17 May 2005 05:24:11 GMT

1. app slow loading intermittently W2K & XP

2. idle time w2k & xp-pro

3. Clipper W2K, XP

4. ASCII File & W2K/XP

5. chain.com not working under W2k or XP...

6. problem: COPY statement under XP W2k

7. Blinker and Clipper app. on XP /w2K

8. GPF NT/W2K/XP

9. Tcl serial port under XP and W2k

10. Newbie question about Python & W2K Admin

11. To XP or not to XP?

12. XP Home vs XP Pro - switch ???