16 bits vs 32 bits apps
Author Message
 16 bits vs 32 bits apps

Can anybody tell me the difference between these to besides the number of
bits.

I have a client that would probably want to upgrade their application, but
they will need to invest money and the want to know what the difference is
to see if it's worth the money or not.

Speed, stability. security?

Thank you for your replies.

Mao

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 16 bits vs 32 bits apps

1. 16-bit apps will run under Windows 3.x while 32-bit apps will not.
2. 32-bit apps should run faster under Win95 and will run faster under NT
than 16-bit apps because NT can preemptively multitask 32-bit apps, but
regards all 16-bit apps as a single task for this purpose.
3. 32-bit apps are not limited to 64KB units. This is VERY important when
developing large systems and systems with very complex or large individual
procedures. I have systems which CANNOT compile as 16-bit apps, due to the
various 64K limits (in particular, 64K of data/control names referenced
globally and in the current procedure).
4. the Clarion de{*filter*} tends to work much more reliably with 32-bit apps
than 16-bit apps
5. At some stage (probably 2000 or 2001) Microsoft will pull the plug on
16-bit support in both operating systems.

Quote:

>Can anybody tell me the difference between these to besides the number of
>bits.

>I have a client that would probably want to upgrade their application, but
>they will need to invest money and the want to know what the difference is
>to see if it's worth the money or not.

>Speed, stability. security?

>Thank you for your replies.

>Mao

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16 bits Version faster than 32 bits ?????

2. 16 bits versus 32 bits instructions

3. String Instructions 16 bits or 32 bits ???

4. 16 bits versus 32 bits instructions

5. Machine Forth vs ANS : 20 bits vs 32 bits

6. 16/32 Bits apps speed.

7. 16 vs 32 bits Applications

8. Oracle accelerator and 16 bits vs 32 -- newby

9. 32-bits / 32-bits

10. CW2.003 Btrive 6.15 from 16 to 32 bits

11. 16-32 bits API to retrieve PNP modem Brand on W95/98

12. 16-32 bits