Using Variable Filenames and Paths
Author Message
 Using Variable Filenames and Paths

I have a C5a  application that currently resides on standalone PC, but now I
need to move the data files to a separate PC ( a server in this case) . How
do I specify the variable pathname(s) in the dictionary so multiple PC's can
access the data? Also, are there other steps I must take in the app
generator, etc?
Thanks for your help.  The TopSpeed documentation is weak in this area.
:)

Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:13:20 GMT
 Using Variable Filenames and Paths
The way that I do this is to specify varible files names in the FULL
PATHNAME in the dictionary properties for each data file (such as
!CUSTOMER).  Each file must have a unique name and it must start with an
"!".

Then in the program, I create a Global Variable for each of the above
(without the "!' - such as just CUSTOMER).

I then put the following statement in the setup embeds when opening the
program:
CUSTOMER = 'F:\PROG\' & CUST.TPS

I do the above for each file and it works great.

Ralph Bishop

Quote:
> I have a C5a  application that currently resides on standalone PC, but now
> need to move the data files to a separate PC ( a server in this case) .
How
> do I specify the variable pathname(s) in the dictionary so multiple PC's
can
> access the data? Also, are there other steps I must take in the app
> generator, etc?
> Thanks for your help.  The TopSpeed documentation is weak in this area.
> :)

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:58:21 GMT

1. Using variable filename(!FILENAME)

2. Library os.path.isfile(filename) - long filenames error.

3. How to Specify Variable FileName(!FileName)In Report

4. Expect script: using variable to represent filename?

5. variable used as filename

6. Define INI file path using a variable

7. CW2.003 Report Writer - Using variable for file path/name

8. Get Full Path from MacDirID or Filename?

9. Filename without path

10. determine path and filename

11. storing filenames ( including paths ) and executing them ( through Windows )

12. VX-REXX C/S 2.1A Make EXE Path/Filename Selection