C4 performance with large TPS files
Author Message
 C4 performance with large TPS files

Hi

I need some advice. My client has a 25 user NT4 / Win 95 network. At the
moment the data for all the files is about 41Mb. The master file contains
21,000 records and the transaction file 118,000 records.

When printing reports, some take up to 30 minutes. Obviously the more data,
the longer it will take.

What type of hardware should be implemented. At the moment the server is a
Pentium-II 350 with 128Mb Ram and a SCSI hard drive. Would it be better to
move to something like an AS400 / Compaq Server, etc?

I am making use of stream / flush where possible to speed up things. Is
there some send command I could send to the TPS driver (reports
automatically make use of QuickScan).

Any other ideas? Any body running network systems with data > 1 Gb?

Many thanks

Morne

Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 performance with large TPS files
If you are doing subsets of data then, use a dynamic index on the reports
"BUILD(INDEX, COMPONENTS, FILTER)"
Read up on the Filter property.  Take one of your reports and the conditions
i.e. IDNumber > 1000 and IDNumber < 2000 and TrxDate =

 and move them to the FILTER

i.e.
BIND('IDNumber', IDNumber)
BIND('TrxDate', TrxDate)
 BUILD(KeyName, '+field, +field2','IDNumber > 1000 and IDNumber < 2000 and

Hope this will help.

--
Rick Hoffmann

NotTheMamma,
Chief Elder of the WeSaySoCorporation.
Why? Because we say so.

http://r.hoffmann.home.mindspring.com/

Quote:
>Hi

>I need some advice. My client has a 25 user NT4 / Win 95 network. At the
>moment the data for all the files is about 41Mb. The master file contains
>21,000 records and the transaction file 118,000 records.

>When printing reports, some take up to 30 minutes. Obviously the more data,
>the longer it will take.

>What type of hardware should be implemented. At the moment the server is a
>Pentium-II 350 with 128Mb Ram and a SCSI hard drive. Would it be better to
>move to something like an AS400 / Compaq Server, etc?

>I am making use of stream / flush where possible to speed up things. Is
>there some send command I could send to the TPS driver (reports
>automatically make use of QuickScan).

>Any other ideas? Any body running network systems with data > 1 Gb?

>Many thanks

>Morne

Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 performance with large TPS files
Hi Morn!

Quote:
> Any other ideas?

Your problem probably stems from shuffling a tremendous amount of data
over that poor slow network connection, especially if you are using
Views with PROP:Order that doesn't quite fit your file keys!

Two possibilites:

1.  Switch to a SQL Client/Server system and let the Server
precondition the report data for you.

2.  Reengineer your app to use a Report Server running at the NT
Server.

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Prof Dev 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
CPCS CCS CLACom WinEvent CWA
JANUS/Ada 83 95 CLAW
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. TPS File driver C4 -- Corruption

2. Searching Large TPS Files

3. Large TPS files

4. TPS file performance problems & missing message thread

5. TPS files and 32bit performance takes a hit?

6. splitting a very large file based on characters in a record (performance)

7. Tcl performance with large files

8. Looking for TPS file W/O TPS Estention

9. TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

10. mySQL vs TPS performance

11. Win2K / *TPS Poor Performance

12. CLARION3.0 - poor performance with .TPS