Cross posting well done --> Cross post with follow-up!
Author Message
 Cross posting well done --> Cross post with follow-up!

[ cross posted, follow-up set to comp.lang.clarion and topspeed.topic.general]

Hi,

again: maybe you think it is a good idea to post your news, your message or your question in more then one news group? Then do it in
this way:

Write your new message, add at once ALL news group names to the
message address section AND set a "follow-up" news group.
It is always a good idea to mention in the first line "Cross posted, follow-up set to ..."

Pro: If your message is once read in one news group, it is also
     marked read in all other NGs. If readers reply, then only one
     message to the "follow-up" news group is generated.
     You can get max. audience and the whole subject is handled at one place
     ( one thread in one news group ).
     And no more waste of bandwidth!
Con: Don't know of any

===> Set "follow-up" in Netscape:

- Enter the newsgroups for your cross posting
- Click on the "Group" button of the free entry field,
  select from the popup "follow-up" and insert the most appropriate
  news group for your "Follow Up"

===> Set "follow-up" in Outlook Express:

- Select in Menu: View -> All Headers
- Enter the newsgroups for your cross posting
- In the "follow-up" entry field insert the most appropriate news group

( find a more detailed description with screen shots
  at http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

-------------------------------------------->>

Some more hints from the nonexistent Softvelocity news group FAQ (hint, hint!):

- post in plain text. HTML, excessive tag lines, VCF cards, etc. are
  a waste of bandwidth.

- Use a meaningful subject ( NOT "Help!!!! it does not work" )

- mention which version of Clarion, ABC/Legacy-templates, 16/32 bit target,
  used OS, file driver

- avoid large attachments

- if you think a small sample/app/dct is needed to describe the problem,
  then ZIP IT!

- if you think "An image is more worth the thousand words" and you should post
  a screen shot, then reduce resolution and colors to the minimum.
  Most times 1600*1200 pixels with 32 bit colors aren't better then 800*600 with
  256 colors, but it takes forever to download

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:58:22 GMT
 Cross posting well done --> Cross post with follow-up!
Wonderful. Thanks very much for the quick and very useful education.  I'll
do it this way from now on.

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:32:32 GMT
 Cross posting well done --> Cross post with follow-up!
Just a note on crossing posting. Many small ISP use contract servers and
many of them use news software that will reject any cross post that has more
than 3 groups in the list.

Bert

Quote:

> [ cross posted, follow-up set to comp.lang.clarion and

topspeed.topic.general]
Quote:

> Hi,

> again: maybe you think it is a good idea to post your news, your message

or your question in more then one news group? Then do it in
Quote:
> this way:

> Write your new message, add at once ALL news group names to the
> message address section AND set a "follow-up" news group.
> It is always a good idea to mention in the first line "Cross posted,

follow-up set to ..."
Quote:

> Pro: If your message is once read in one news group, it is also
>      marked read in all other NGs. If readers reply, then only one
>      message to the "follow-up" news group is generated.
>      You can get max. audience and the whole subject is handled at one
place
>      ( one thread in one news group ).
>      And no more waste of bandwidth!
> Con: Don't know of any

> ===> Set "follow-up" in Netscape:

> - Enter the newsgroups for your cross posting
> - Click on the "Group" button of the free entry field,
>   select from the popup "follow-up" and insert the most appropriate
>   news group for your "Follow Up"

> ===> Set "follow-up" in Outlook Express:

> - Select in Menu: View -> All Headers
> - Enter the newsgroups for your cross posting
> - In the "follow-up" entry field insert the most appropriate news group

> ( find a more detailed description with screen shots
>   at http://randysplayground.com/oe.html )

> -------------------------------------------->>

> Some more hints from the nonexistent Softvelocity news group FAQ (hint,
hint!):

> - post in plain text. HTML, excessive tag lines, VCF cards, etc. are
>   a waste of bandwidth.

> - Use a meaningful subject ( NOT "Help!!!! it does not work" )

> - mention which version of Clarion, ABC/Legacy-templates, 16/32 bit
target,
>   used OS, file driver

> - avoid large attachments

> - if you think a small sample/app/dct is needed to describe the problem,
>   then ZIP IT!

> - if you think "An image is more worth the thousand words" and you should
post
>   a screen shot, then reduce resolution and colors to the minimum.
>   Most times 1600*1200 pixels with 32 bit colors aren't better then
800*600 with
>   256 colors, but it takes forever to download

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:57:14 GMT
 Cross posting well done --> Cross post with follow-up!
Bert

Quote:
> Just a note on crossing posting. Many small ISP use contract servers and
> many of them use news software that will reject any cross post that has more
> than 3 groups in the list.

Softvelocity's news server news.softvelocity.com allows cross posting up to five
news groups. This may even fit for the Clarion Magazin announcements <g>

Regards

JB

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:23:39 GMT

1. cross memory post

2. CROSS MEMORY POST PERFORMANCE QUESTION

3. Smalltalk class definitions (cross-posted)

4. Smalltalk (cross-posted)

5. Laptop Question (cross post to Chat)

6. Cross post from topic.general

7. Strange behavior of CW ReportWriter-cross-posted from cw-talk

8. Pointer Function with TPS (Cross-post to language)

9. Print Preview Pukes after 5 Pages - Help - Cross Posted in Reports

10. CPCS report question (cross posted)

11. (PLEASE REPLY) Calling all Conversion Generator Experts - [Cross-Posted]

12. LinkSys Routers (Cross Post)