float, double format
Author Message
 float, double format

greetings,
  I checked the FAQ and found some references that I do not have
  ready access to...  concerning  float and double formats.

  can someone point to an online reference that will help in
  deciphering  intel  (486,  or any/all x86, IEEE or ??)
  formats for  real numbers??

  I teach a 'c' class and wanted to illustrate the location
  of the  mantissa, exponent, sign bits,  explain
  normalization, base and any bias...
  I found that I did not have references that documented this
  on the typical  intel cpu.

  If I print a  float or double in  hex, I just wanted to
  show some simple examples and format.

  thanks in advance,
     Arlin Collins

Sun, 26 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 float, double format
Moderator: this is
           Subject: Re: [?] float, double format

Quote:

>IEEE for single precision floating point (or float in C):
>    22-0    mantissa (implicit first bit is always 0, not stored)
>IEEE for double precition floating point (or double in C):
>    51-0    mantissa (implicit first bit is always 0, not stored)

The implicit first bit is *1*, unless the number is 0 (or, I suppose,
NaN or +/-infinity).

--
                             Tim McDaniel

Wed, 29 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Convert double to D-float format

2. Need function to convert float/double/long to string using a specified format

3. FORMAT OF FLOAT & DOUBLE

4. epsilon for float, double long double

5. Microsoft Float to IEEE float format

6. Formatting a Double to a string with Double.Format()?

7. Single Verses Double Percision Floats

8. Double Float

9. float and double: # significant bits

10. float to double ?

11. how to round a float or double in C++

12. difference between a float and double?