Pointers...What good are they?
Author Message
 Pointers...What good are they?

Hi Peter,

I am sending this to you in case you can forward it to clcm.  I am
at a machine that will not let me reply to newsgroups.

There is a good on-line tutorial to pointers compiled by Ted Jensen.
I found it quite helpful in getting a *little* more of a grip on
pointers.  He includes one or two code snippets for exploring the
behavior of pointers in a number of contexts.  The url is:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~tjensen/ptr/pointers.htm

The pointers thread in itself is a good tutorial as well.

I agree with the comment that they tend to be obscure until the light
comes on -- unfortunately, there's no telling whether the lightbulb is
a 25 watt or 250 watt bulb. :)  (I fear my own is still closer to the
former than the latter).  Thanks to all the contributors for an
interesting lesson.

ciao!
greg.

Gregory Haley
Electronic Data Service
Columbia University
--

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

2. HELP, I am having problems with pointer...

3. Am I being paranoid about vector pointers?

4. I am new to programming and am lost

5. Any pointers to a good component-writing tutorial?

6. Pointers...What good are they?

7. pointers: which of these is better?

8. Good programming style: multidimensional arrays or pointer technique

9. pointers: which of these is better?

10. what r function pointers better for?

11. Better pointer reassignment method ??

12. Best book for learning pointers & reference book