GNU libavl 2.0 released
Author Message
 GNU libavl 2.0 released

libavl 2.0 is now available from its homepage at
        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~pfaffben/avl/
It should propagate to ftp.gnu.org in a few days.

libavl is a library in ANSI/ISO C for the manipulation of binary trees
and balanced binary trees.  libavl is written using a literate
programming system called TexiWEB.  By way of TexiWEB, libavl is as
much a textbook on binary trees and balanced binary trees as it is a
collection of code.

Version 2.0 is a complete rewrite of earlier versions.  It is not
binary or source compatible with libavl 1.x.  However, if libavl 2.0's
new features are unnecessary, there is no need to upgrade.  libavl
1.4.1 does not contain any bugs known to cause incorrect behavior.  It
is still supported in the sense that if any such bugs are reported,
they will be fixed.

The assistance of the community is requested in debugging and
improving libavl.  Your suggestions and bug reports are appreciated,
whether related to code or prose.  Exposition, style, spelling,
punctuation, and grammar are all fair game.  All the code in this
release has been carefully tested, but unknown bugs may still exist.
Please check out and proofread libavl and report back any bugs to me

This release supports the following kinds of trees:

    Plain binary trees:
        * Binary search trees
        * AVL trees
        * Red-black trees

    Threaded binary trees:
        * Threaded binary search trees
        * Threaded AVL trees
        * Threaded red-black trees

    Right-threaded binary trees:
        * Right-threaded binary search trees
        * Right-threaded AVL trees
        * Right-threaded red-black trees

    Binary trees with parent pointers:
        * Binary search trees with parent pointers
        * AVL trees with parent pointers
        * Red-black trees with parent pointers

--

Stanford PhD Student - MSU Alumnus - Debian Maintainer - GNU Developer
Personal webpage: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~pfaffben

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:42:13 GMT
 GNU libavl 2.0 released

Quote:

> libavl 2.0 is now available from its homepage at
>         http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/avl/

License?

Strangely, you indicate the license of all AVL source code *except* your
own!

Quote:

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent

Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:58:07 GMT
 GNU libavl 2.0 released
Es schrieb Michel Bardiaux:

Quote:

> > libavl 2.0 is now available from its homepage at
> >         http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/avl/

> License?

> Strangely, you indicate the license of all AVL source code *except* your
> own!

> > It should propagate to ftp.gnu.org in a few days.

from the README contained in the tar.gz:

Quote:
>libavl is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), which
>should be included in this directory in file COPYING.  This is not the
>GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).  The choice of the GPL
>instead of the LGPL is quite deliberate.  Please read the license and
>become familiar with its terms.

>Please send bug reports and enhancement requests for libavl to Ben

perhaps, someone could do a first request to put it under LGPL - otherwise
there are plenty of alternatives with licenses that are easier to handle.
I do not see a reason to look at code that I could easily use at home
for the bulk of my opensource software - but which would be problematic
to get integrated with the software on my job desk - a thing that pays
my daily expenses. Perhaps some students and academic people can benefit
from looking at the new ideas in the total rewrite of libavl.

[[ Anyway, it's a GNU project, so I am not surprised it is under
strict-GPL. And I had enough discussions about GPL vs. LGPL, so it is
not me to do a request to change the license - and it is partly off-topic
anyway. ]]

cheers,
-- guido                                    http://freespace.sf.net/guidod

--

Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:42:37 GMT
 GNU libavl 2.0 released

Quote:

> Es schrieb Michel Bardiaux:

> > > libavl 2.0 is now available from its homepage at
> > >         http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/avl/

> > License?

> > Strangely, you indicate the license of all AVL source code *except* your
> > own!

> > > It should propagate to ftp.gnu.org in a few days.

> from the README contained in the tar.gz:

> >libavl is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), which
> >should be included in this directory in file COPYING.  This is not the
> >GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).  The choice of the GPL
> >instead of the LGPL is quite deliberate.  Please read the license and
> >become familiar with its terms.

Too bad.

Quote:

> >Please send bug reports and enhancement requests for libavl to Ben

> perhaps, someone could do a first request to put it under LGPL - otherwise
> there are plenty of alternatives with licenses that are easier to handle.

Agreed.

Quote:
> I do not see a reason to look at code that I could easily use at home
> for the bulk of my opensource software - but which would be problematic
> to get integrated with the software on my job desk - a thing that pays
> my daily expenses.

Agreed.

Quote:
> Perhaps some students and academic people can benefit
> from looking at the new ideas in the total rewrite of libavl.

> [[ Anyway, it's a GNU project, so I am not surprised it is under
> strict-GPL. And I had enough discussions about GPL vs. LGPL, so it is
> not me to do a request to change the license - and it is partly off-topic
> anyway. ]]

Well, it passed clcm moderation...

Quote:

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10
--

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:08:59 GMT

1. GNU libavl 2.0 released

2. GNU libavl 2.0 pre-release 2001.11.10 now available

3. GNU libavl 2.0 pre-release 2001.11.10 now available

4. Announce: GNU libavl 2.0 ALPHA 2001.08.05 now available

5. GNU libavl 1.4.0, a library for balanced trees, released

6. Announce: libavl balanced tree library, version 2.0 ALPHA 2 released

7. libavl 2.0 ALPHA 2001.06.28 released [ignore]

8. Announce: libavl balanced tree library, version 2.0 ALPHA 2 released

9. ANNOUNCE: libavl 2.0 (binary tree library/tutorial) first public pre-release now available

10. libavl 2.0 ALPHA 2000.12.13 now available

11. libavl 2.0 ALPHA 3 now available

12. ANN: GNU Nana 2.2 released