ANNOUNCE: Bit::Vector 5.7
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: Bit::Vector 5.7

[Just out of curiousity:  I *think* this is sort-of topical, but I'm not
 sure.  Any complaints?  Note that the code is both a C library and a perl5
 module.  -mod]

I am glad to announce version 5.7 of my module "Bit::Vector":

                    =====================================
                      Package "Bit::Vector" Version 5.7
                    =====================================

    This package is available for download either from my web site at

                  http://www.*-*-*.com/

    or from any CPAN (= "Comprehensive Perl Archive Network") mirror server:

                  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Prerequisites:
--------------

    Perl version 5.000 or higher, and an ANSI C compiler (!).
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's new in version 5.7:
--------------------------

 +  Improved method "Div_Pos()": It now uses only one instead of the
    former two (very costly) "shift" operations in its main loop, and
    it now depends on the (variable) length of the numbers involved rather
    than the (constant) length of their respective bit vectors, making
    this method tremendously faster now. The methods "to_Dec()", "Divide()"
    and "GCD()" also profit from this change in the same way since they
    rely crucially on the "Div_Pos()" method, internally.
 +  Added a matrix multiplication method (for "Math::MatrixBool") named
    "Product()" which determines paths in matrices representing graphs.
 +  Fixed the problems with anchored error messages in the regression
    test suite under MacPerl.

Abstract:
---------

    Bit::Vector is a stand-alone C library and a sophisticated
    Perl module at the same time. It allows you to handle bit
    vectors, sets (of integers), "big integers" and boolean
    matrices of arbitrary size very efficiently. Over a 100
    methods for bit manipulation, shift operations, "big
    integer" arithmetic and matrix operations are available.
    Moreover, overloaded operators provided by the Perl module
    allow you to use this data type in expressions (almost)
    like any other ordinary Perl scalar.

Legal issues:
-------------

    This package with all its parts is

    Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 by Steffen Beyer.
    All rights reserved.

    This package is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, i.e., under the
    terms of the "Artistic License" or the "GNU General Public License".

    The C library at the core of this Perl module can additionally
    be redistributed and/or modified under the terms of the
    "GNU Library General Public License".

    Please refer to the files "Artistic.txt", "GNU_GPL.txt" and
    "GNU_LGPL.txt" in this distribution for details!

Author's note:
--------------

    I would be very pleased over *ANY* kind of feedback, questions,
    suggestions, donations ;-) and so on, since unfortunately none of
    you lazy bums ;-) (for exceptions to this see the "CREDITS.txt"
    file in this distribution!) hardly ever writes me.

    This feedback is essential for me in order to know wether this
    module is useful, to estimate how many people use it and for
    what (essential to assess the potential impact an incompatible
    change may have, for instance), where its problems and weak-
    nesses lie, what should be improved, what additional features
    would be useful, etc.

    Even e-mail with an empty body and just a subject line such as
    "I'm using Bit::Vector" would help!

    Thank you very much in advance!

    In any case, I hope you will find this module beneficial,
    share and enjoy!

Yours sincerely,
--

    http://www.*-*-*.com/
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: Math::MatrixBool 5.7

2. ANNOUNCE: Bit::Vector 5.3

3. ANNOUNCE: Bit::Vector 5.3

4. ANNOUNCE: "Bit::Vector" 5.2

5. ANNOUNCE: "Bit::Vector" 5.1 (final release)

6. K&R 5.7,5.8,5.9

7. Q. Syntax of const 2D array cast (FAQ 5.7)

8. ANNOUNCE 32 bit DOS project

9. ANNOUNCE: GDCTL 1.00 16-bit MFC Extensions - Tree View control

10. ANNOUNCE: GDCTL 1.00 16-bit MFC Extensions - Tree View control

11. Dealing with large bit vectors....

12. Where to find good bit vector stuff?