Getting a program to make a program
Author Message
 Getting a program to make a program

Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
what do I need?

Thankx,
Chocolatey :T

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

: Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
: You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
: what do I need?

Hmm let me think.... To create a C program you would need a Cbrush???
no... Try a C compiler. ;)

--
       Dan Nguyen          | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;

            25 2F 99 19 6C C9 19 D6  1B 9F F1 E0 E9 10 4C 16
--

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

Quote:
> Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
> You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
> what do I need?

A text editor is the usual tool.  There are various other programs the
generate programs in C, but most of them are relatively specialized
(e.g. lex and yacc produce C output for lexers and parsers
respectively).

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

Quote:

> Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
> You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
> what do I need?

> Thankx,
> Chocolatey :T

This will almost entirely depend on your operating system,
your budget, and personal preference. Basically all you need
is a text editor (something that will produce a plain ascii
text file, you wont get very far trying to compile HTML or a
Word document) and a compiler. On the other end of the scale,
you can get an integrated development environment with editor(s),
compiler(s), de{*filter*}(s), etc. all packaged together.

Your best bet is to post this question to a general programming
or application newsgroup that pertains to you particular
operating system.

For instance:

If you use some flavor of MSWindows you might try
comp.windows.ms.programmer

or for some flavor of Unix perhaps comp.unix.programmer

HTH
js

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

Quote:

> Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
> You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
> what do I need?

A text editor.

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program
[note to mod: I won't be mad at you if you reject this :-]
[To put an end to all editor wars it's time for a repost -- JS]

        [well, I guess I have to admit, it's a bit of a stretch,
         but it is a response to an article in a sorta topical thread. -mod]

# Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
# You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
# what do I need?

Quote:

>: Are there any good Editors for Unix.
>: Please no Emacs and no vi.
>What's left!?

ed.

Quote:

Subject: The True Path (long)
Date: 11 Jul 91 03:17:31 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.religion.emacs,alt.slack

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed, man!  !man ed

ED(1)               UNIX Programmer's Manual                ED(1)

NAME
     ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
     ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
     Ed is the standard text editor.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard.  Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair.  Just look:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root          24 Oct 29  1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t  4 root     1310720 Jan  1  1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  5.89824e37 Oct 22  1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage.  Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code!  I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor".  Not a "emacsitor".  Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi?  No.  Emacs?  Surely
you jest.  They chose the most karmic editor of all.  The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on.  If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs.  If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi.  If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION.  THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS.  DO NOT GIVE IN!!!  THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

--

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

------------
Get payed to surf the net:
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=EGY967

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program
Choc,

C programs are written in text. You can do that in any text editor you
choose. Just make sure the file produces pure ASCII text and does no
formatting of its own. (MS DOS edit does that except that it won't let
you type a tab. Instead it inserts spaces, which kills Makefiles). I
might suggest UltraEdit.

Once you have a program in a text file, say, proggie.c (.c is the
extension of convention for c source files and .cpp is for c++
source), you invoke a compiler, such as gcc or djgpp. Usually this is
done on a command line or with the Make utility. This makes object
code, which gets linked into executable files.

So, the answer to your question is that your fave text editor and a c
compiler and linker comprise your paintbursh.

Peace,
-J

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:00:44 GMT, Chocolatey

Quote:

>Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs in?
>You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C programs
>what do I need?

>Thankx,
>Chocolatey :T

>--

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program
What kind of text editor? Can you give any names?

Quote:

> > Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs
in?
> > You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C
programs
> > what do I need?

> A text editor is the usual tool.  There are various other programs the
> generate programs in C, but most of them are relatively specialized
> (e.g. lex and yacc produce C output for lexers and parsers
> respectively).

> --
>     Later,
>     Jerry.

> The universe is a figment of its own imagination.
> --

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

Quote:

> What kind of text editor? Can you give any names?

copy con: hellowld.c

Richard
--

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

[ had asked about tools to create programs in C ]

Quote:
> What kind of text editor? Can you give any names?

Sure, though you may not like most of them.

The obvious starting point would be things like ed, edlin, etc.  These
are command-oriented line editors.  A few people still use them, and
nearly the entire rest of the world pronounces those few insane.

The next group are the first "visual" editors, with vi as the prime
example.  Here you get something in the way of a full-screen display,
but editing is still basically giving a command to modify the current
line.  At least IMO, the primary improvement here isn't the visual
orientation as much as the fact that you can pretty much depend on
these to support regular expressions, or something along that line.

After that, we get into what I'd title the big editors.  The prime
example here is gnu emacs.  These are distinguished by essentially
complete flexibility in key assignments, nearly always having at least
one (and sometimes more) Turing-complete macro language, and so on.
Heavy users of these editors typically use the editor not only to edit
code, but as their primary interface to the OS in general -- when they
need to use a command shell, they typically start it from the editor
rather than the reverse.  In addition, a big editor will often have
many features essentially unrelated to editing, such as the ability to
read email, tell you your horoscope or give you advice about how to
remove stains from clothing.  IOW, the editor has basically become the
UI for anything else that needs or wants a UI.  As mentioned above,
the prime example here is emacs.  It's available for almost anything
(as long as "anything" has lots of memory, a big disk, etc.)  There
are platform-specific examples as well, such as Codewright on Windows.
Trying to name lots of names gets difficult because the majority of
these are platform-specific to at least some degree.

The IDEs in most development environments are typically about the same
size as a big editor, but have a somewhat different orientation.
Instead of acquiring functions that deal with display, but not
necessarily with coding, these have acquired functions related to
coding but not necessarily display.  Many of the current ones include
a make facility, source management features, etc.  These built-in
capabilities are often (usually?) more limited than those of separate
tools, but are also often adequate for many people's needs, and in
many cases enough easier to use that people actually use them instead
of talking about how powerful they are.  Naming names is only barely
worthwhile here, because most of these are included with the compiler.
If you're working on a Solaris box, you get Sun's; if you use a
Microsoft compiler, you get Microsoft's, and so on.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:45:08 GMT, Chocolatey

Quote:

>> > Does anyone know any program which I can use to create my C programs
>in?
>> > You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush. So to create my C
>programs
>> > what do I need?

>> A text editor is the usual tool.  There are various other programs the
>> generate programs in C, but most of them are relatively specialized
>> (e.g. lex and yacc produce C output for lexers and parsers
>> respectively).
[snip]
>What kind of text editor? Can you give any names?

Basically any text editor will do fine. C compilers read source code
from plain text files so any text editor or even wordprocessor which
can output plain text will do.

At home I play with C on an MSDOS PC. So I can use the standard DOS
EDIT.COM. It works fine but I find C code, even mine, a bit hard to
read so I normally use an editor called FED which highlights the
different bits of C syntax in different colours. I also sometimes use
a C compiler - Pacific or DJGPP - which have 'integrated development
enviroments" which include syntax highlighting text editors of their
own.

Sometimes I work on MS Windows (where I'd use Windows Notepad or PFE)
and Unix systems (where I use vi.)

So what text editor is best for you depends on what computer operating
system you're using, what C compiler you use and, in the end, on
personal taste!

URLs for products mentioned (all freeware) ....
MSDOS
FED -  http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
Pacific C - http://www.hitech.com.au/products/pacific.html
DJGPP C - http://www.delorie.com/
MS Windows
PFE - oh no disaster! I just checked the URL and saw "Development and
distribution of Programmer's File Editor has come to an end. The PFE
Web Site is now closed." - how sad! (But you can fine many other
Windows text editors with a websearch.)

"Text Editor Compendium" - a website listing many editors for
different OS's
http://www.bsyse.wsu.edu/~rnelson/editors/editors.htm

--
 SteveG
 (Please remove erroneous word from address if emailing a reply)

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting a program to make a program

Quote:

> You know like to paint, you need Paintbrush.

No, you don't.  You're being misled by MS Windows' habit of
associating (filename extensions, actions) with applications
in contexts such as the Explorer.  You can actually use many
different programs to create, view, etc. files in bitmap
format, and you can use many different programs to create C
source files.  Even Notepad will do.  There are fancy
"integrated development systems" that link together a source
editor, project file manager, de{*filter*}, etc. but you don't
have to use such an app.
--

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting a program to make a program

2. Getting a C program to work with a Java program

3. Making a program display it's source code

4. Making .dll file through C programming

5. making sounds in a C program

6. wierd program i made

7. wierd program i made

8. Programming On-line: Made Easy

9. NEED making isam file program source in UNIX

10. making my own UNIX2DOS program: questions

11. Making program expire

12. What makes a program efficient?