Perhaps it's time the C community *did* something about b
Author Message
 Perhaps it's time the C community *did* something about b

Quote:

> Lars,

> I saw Feather's review. I'm looking for a copy of the standard. It's
> quoted here quite a bit, but I don't want to pay hundreds for it from
> the only legal source. I read that Schildt's "The Annotated ANSI C
> Standard" contains nearly the entire standard, word for word.

> Isn't this the best bargain for obtaining a copy of the standard?
> One can always ignore the annotations by Schildt.

That's true. It is just unfortunate the Schildt get rewarded for
shoddy work.

Thu, 16 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Perhaps it's time the C community *did* something about b

 > > I saw Feather's review. I'm looking for a copy of the standard. It's
 > > quoted here quite a bit, but I don't want to pay hundreds for it from
 > > the only legal source. I read that Schildt's "The Annotated ANSI C
 > > Standard" contains nearly the entire standard, word for word.
 > > Isn't this the best bargain for obtaining a copy of the standard?
 > > One can always ignore the annotations by Schildt.
 >
 > That's true. It is just unfortunate the Schildt get rewarded for
 > shoddy work.

Did anyone ever figure out why Schildt seems to be the only author
that has permission from ANSI to reprint ISO/IEC 9899 ?

[Has anyone else ever asked?  If I ever get back to my C book, I plan
 to. -mod]

Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Perhaps it's time the C community *did* something about b

Quote:

> Did anyone ever figure out why Schildt seems to be the only author
> that has permission from ANSI to reprint ISO/IEC 9899 ?

> [Has anyone else ever asked?  If I ever get back to my C book, I plan
>  to. -mod]

As far as I know, noone else has.  I understand that there was also some
sort of squabble between ISO and ANSI at the time over reproduction
rights which may have predisposed ANSI to grant permission to reproduce
an ISO standard.  I have no information on the terms or whether ANSI
considers it to have been a good or bad deal.
----
Larry Jones, SDRC, 2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH  45150-2789  513-576-2070

I stand FIRM in my belief of what's right!  I REFUSE to
compromise my principles! -- Calvin

Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perhaps it's time the C community *did* something about bad books.

2. Perhaps it's time the C community *did* something about bad books.

3. Threading problem. I'm doing something wrong

4. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, but restricted pointers

5. C Community's Cavalier Attitude On Software Reliability

6. Doing something and still having the GUI go

7. OnInitDialog and doing something after the window is shown

8. doing something with an icon resource

9. can something like this be done...

10. I'm obviously doing something stupid with 'cout'

12. Can't retrieve cookies in .cs file, but works in aspx page