fwrite(), fread() portability.
Author Message
 fwrite(), fread() portability.

Quote:
>My question concerns the fread and fwrite function calls. Basically i am
>trying to write a set of storage routines, and the application probably
>requires, files created on one machine to be used on another.

This isn't portable.

The C standard doesn't specify the external ordering, appearance and
other details of files; it is only concerned with how they appear
to a conforming implementation.

If you want a machine - independent external format for data, I'd recommend
that you look at the XDR standard, RFC 1014.
--

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
logarithmic diagram.

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Structures, padding, fwrite() and portability?

2. fread, fwrite probs

3. Please Help (fread, fwrite)

4. problem with fwrite / fread

5. fopen() fseek() fread() fwrite()

6. Problem with struct/array inside a struct using fread/fwrite

7. Strange byte order using fread() and fwrite()

8. fread and fwrite

9. fread and fwrite sync

10. microsoft endian problem with fread/fwrite

11. fwrite + fread problem

12. fread/fwrite guarantees