Complete Newbie-Thanx for help
Author Message
 Complete Newbie-Thanx for help

Thanks to  everyone who replied to my earlier post - it is very much
appreciated!

I actually do have some books to work from, althought the K&H book has been
stolen from the local library:
C for Dummies - Gookin
C Programming Guide - Purdum
Programming in C - Kochan
and I am working thru them. But I have seen several people recommend getting
some real source code and analyzing it as being a very good way to learn about
the language, and the only other source files I have right now are for Netscape
and Linux - both way too massive for me to even look at!

I knew to search for the main() function, I guess my question was "Is there a
convention for naming the file that contains the main function so that you
don't have to read every file to find it?" I am assuming not, at this point.
However, the suggestion to use "grep" was excellent, I found that it is indeed
included with TurboC.

I will now go to Sourceforge (recommended by Ed Cashin in a different thread)
to see if I can find something more suitable to explore.

And Francis, thank you for the input, although it was rather non-helpful and
condescending. I guess that when you achieve the lofty perches of academia, you
can look down at those of us who are too poor to attend university yet still
wish to exercise our minds and learn new things. I've spent 47 years doing
"other" things in my leisure time, mostly to no advantage. When you encounter
someone as new as I am to all of this, some encouragement would be nice, rather
than "Give Up!".

Thanks again to all who replied, now I'm off to learn some code!

JohnS

"My friends tell me to stay away from the glue,
But how am I gonna keep it together?"
Roy A. Loney, The Flamin' Groovies
--

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:17:44 GMT
 Complete Newbie-Thanx for help

Quote:
>And Francis, thank you for the input, although it was rather non-helpful and
>condescending. I guess that when you achieve the lofty perches of academia, you
>can look down at those of us who are too poor to attend university yet still
>wish to exercise our minds and learn new things.

Well you can only judge me by my words, and those are often hurried. I
do not know where you get the academia from (actually considering my
published comments on academics, that might be meant as an insult:)  All
I was intending was that you should

1) Spend your money wisely and get a decent book (check www.accu.org for
ideas)

2) Set yourself a realistic objective rather than really arcane code
that does all kinds of weird things that would bewilder experts unless
they were familiar with the program domain.

Francis Glassborow      Association of C & C++ Users
64 Southfield Rd
Oxford OX4 1PA          +44(0)1865 246490

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:14:09 GMT
 Complete Newbie-Thanx for help
Boognish Rising schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:

- David.Thompson 1 now at worldnet.att.net
--

Tue, 13 May 2003 12:11:58 GMT

1. ***COMPLETE PROGRAMMING NEWBIE: PLEASE HELP!!!***

2. complete MFC newbie needs help...

3. Thanx for SQL help

4. Need help w/ interview question for C programming job.(thanx)

5. Help-Assignment2// This time I am posting the code!!!Thanx

6. Complete Newbie Where to start?

7. complete newbie question

8. Complete newbie, trouble with unsigned ints.

9. Complete C newbie here...

10. Complete Newbie Question

11. Complete Newbie Quest

12. newbie, can't complete statements