Off Topic _But_ Please Read
Author Message
 Off Topic _But_ Please Read

This has nothing to do with C, directly.

Mod, please slide this one ;-)

Indirectly, it has everything to do with C! ;-)

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Happy New Years to all the
helpful respondents here in c.l.c.m and c.l.c. ...

particularly, those _I_ personally have learned the most from ...

    Tanmoy Bhattacharya
    Dan Pop
    Steve Summit
    Peter Seebach
    Chris Torek
    Lawrence Kirby
    Jos A. Horsmeier
    John R Buchan
    James Robinson
    Jonas J. Schlein

Thanks for sharing your time, energy, and knowledge of C so that we
can make the computer do what we need and/or want it to do <mostly ;-)>

C'ya ...

gary /* the Sorcerer's Apprentice */

"Why do we have to hide from the police, Daddy?" | Truth:
"Because we use vi, honey. They use emacs."      | This .sig is pirated

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic _But_ Please Read

Quote:
>Mod, please slide this one ;-)

Okay. :)

Quote:
>Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Happy New Years to all the
>helpful respondents here in c.l.c.m and c.l.c. ...

[list deleted.]

Quote:
>Thanks for sharing your time, energy, and knowledge of C so that we
>can make the computer do what we need and/or want it to do <mostly ;-)>

:)  Glad to help.

Y'know, I've been doing this for ages, and I still don't know why.  I
learn very little about C from this newsgroup, and I can't believe
that many of the other people on your list are learning much of anything
from this...

Oh, well.  Happy {day}.  :)

ObC:
Anyone think it'd be worth trying to get ANSI to mandate
        tm_ishday
which would indicate whether or not a given day was a holiday?

It could trivially be set to 1.  :)

-s
--

C/Unix proto-wizard -- C/Unix questions? Send mail for help.  No, really!

The *other* C FAQ - ftp taniemarie.solon.com /pub/c/afq - Not A Flying Toy

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic _But_ Please Read

Quote:

>Anyone think it'd be worth trying to get ANSI to mandate
>    tm_ishday
>which would indicate whether or not a given day was a holiday?

>It could trivially be set to 1.  :)

I don't think we'll be able to slide that one past the committee;
after all, just about every religion and every country has a
different set of holidays (and can you imagine the nuisance
factor of trying to quickly figure out conversions from the
Jewish lunar calendar (or the Islamic definition of day?)).

On the other hand, I think it'd be a wonderful addition to
Nethack. :-)

- Alex

Sun, 14 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic _But_ Please Read

|> >Anyone think it'd be worth trying to get ANSI to mandate
|> >      tm_ishday
|> >which would indicate whether or not a given day was a holiday?
|> >
|> >It could trivially be set to 1.  :)

|> I don't think we'll be able to slide that one past the committee;
|> after all, just about every religion and every country has a
|> different set of holidays (and can you imagine the nuisance
|> factor of trying to quickly figure out conversions from the
|> Jewish lunar calendar (or the Islamic definition of day?)).

Which means, in fact, that his solution (set the value to 1) is totally
correct.  Everyday is a holiday somewhere.

Of course, to be useful, it should respect the locale, and only return
local holidays.  In "C" locale, it could be trivially set to 0; real C
programmers love their work, and don't take holidays:-).

[I resemble that remark. -mod]

--

GABI Software, Sarl., 8 rue des Francs Bourgeois, 67000 Strasbourg, France
Conseils, tudes et ralisations en logiciel orient objet --

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Off Topic _But_ Please Read

:
:>Anyone think it'd be worth trying to get ANSI to mandate
:>   tm_ishday
:>which would indicate whether or not a given day was a holiday?
:>
:>It could trivially be set to 1.  :)
:
:I don't think we'll be able to slide that one past the committee;
:after all, just about every religion and every country has a
:different set of holidays (and can you imagine the nuisance
:factor of trying to quickly figure out conversions from the
:Jewish lunar calendar (or the Islamic definition of day?)).
:
:On the other hand, I think it'd be a wonderful addition to
:Nethack. :-)
:
:- Alex
I thought the locale-stuff was intended to solve that :-]
so it's no good after all ...
Adriaan van Kessel.

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Off Topic _But_ Please Read

2. off-topic (comp.lang.c.off-topic)

3. Off Topic || Please Point Towards Help

4. Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

5. off topic stuff: please advise

6. Please forgive the off-topic post

7. Grossly Off-Topic, nothing to do with C (Was: PLEASE READ!!!)

8. Off topic - but who'll notice?

9. C++ Standard Availability (off topic)

10. Off Topic Searching NDoc Alternative for generating Documentation

11. Off topic [4X AGP and 1X Motherborad]

12. Off-topic: Pronunciation of 'Kernighan'