Troubleshooting Resources
Author Message
 Troubleshooting Resources

Hi all,

I often encountered some error messages when compiling the programs and
because I am a newbie, just wondering when I can find an excellent website
covering the Troubleshooting section relating to compilation.
For example, I encountered this error message "blah.c.87: parser error at
end of input.and wondering where to start troubleshooting it

Any suggestions? Thanks
--

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 04:41:26 GMT
 Troubleshooting Resources

Quote:

> Hi all,
> I often encountered some error messages when compiling the programs and
> because I am a newbie, just wondering when I can find an excellent website
> covering the Troubleshooting section relating to compilation.
> For example, I encountered this error message "blah.c.87: parser error at
> end of input.and wondering where to start troubleshooting it

Line 87 would be a great start :)

Compilers are general pretty smart. Start at the line which the compiler is
complaining about and slowly walk backwards in the file. You'll learn what
the different messages mean over time.

Alex
--

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:45:32 GMT
 Troubleshooting Resources

Occasionally, the line number will be the end of the file.  It usually
indicates a missing closing punctuation mark such as }]) or ".

IMHO, the best way to find these is to use a C aware editor such as
emacs, which will color the code and indent correctly.  If the colors
are wrong, or the editor indents to the wrong place, it shows you the
error before you even run the compiler.

Quote:

> I often encountered some error messages when compiling the programs and
> because I am a newbie, just wondering when I can find an excellent website
> covering the Troubleshooting section relating to compilation.
> For example, I encountered this error message "blah.c.87: parser error at
> end of input.and wondering where to start troubleshooting it

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:45:42 GMT
 Troubleshooting Resources
You are missing a ; or a } somewhere before line 87

Quote:

--

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:45:44 GMT
 Troubleshooting Resources

Quote:

> For example, I encountered this error message "blah.c.87: parser error at
> end of input.and wondering where to start troubleshooting it

There is no easy way to learn troubleshooting/debugging.
As to syntactic errors detected only at end of file,
there are several useful tricks.  One is to preprocess
(only) and examine the result, to see whether a macro
or comment has caused the problem.  Another is to
subdivide the file with #if 0 ... #endif to narrow
the range of code that one needs to examine more
carefully.  Eventually you should find the extra { or (
or whatever.
--

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:20:49 GMT

1. Debugging C++: Troubleshooting for programmers

2. Troubleshooting the VS6 "New Projects" List

3. Troubleshooting memory leaks

4. How to find out amount of free resources (gdi resources, handles, system resources)

5. Use of Resource file versus embedding a resource

6. Still a problem with resource .rc files resource identifier

7. Manual mod of string resource ids causes failed resource load

8. Resources and resource symbols

9. Resources and resource symbols

10. Problem inlcuding a multi language resource in another resource

11. Borland style resource to VC++ resource converter

12. resource.h and resource workshop