IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!
Author Message
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

I can't believe the number of delays we've had, but who cares?  It's done now.
These are the *2001* results.  Yes, there was a year of delay in there.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Slashdotted?  Try the mirrors:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

We haven't worked out plans for the next contest yet; while this one didn't
have quite the problems of Terry Gilliam's recent attempt at a movie, it was
pretty spectacular.  There should be an announcement in a while of what we're
doing this year, and when it'll be done.

We thank you all for your patience.

-s
--

   $ chmod a+x /bin/laden      Please do not feed or harbor the terrorists.
     C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:13:49 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:
> I can't believe the number of delays we've had, but who cares?  It's done
now.
> These are the *2001* results.  Yes, there was a year of delay in there.

> http://www.ioccc.org/

> Slashdotted?  Try the mirrors:

> http://www0.us.ioccc.org/
> http://www1.us.ioccc.org/
> http://www.de.ioccc.org/
> http://www.es.ioccc.org/
> http://www.au.ioccc.org/
> http://www.tw.ioccc.org/
> http://www.gr.ioccc.org/

> We haven't worked out plans for the next contest yet; while this one
didn't
> have quite the problems of Terry Gilliam's recent attempt at a movie, it
was
> pretty spectacular.  There should be an announcement in a while of what
we're
> doing this year, and when it'll be done.

> We thank you all for your patience.

> -s

Pretty much a big dissapointment for the 2001 results.

Only 9 out of 19 compile using 3 different compilers at my disposal.

Of those that compile, most issue copious warnings.

Of those that link, most crash on execution.

Not up to the standards of  the past, I would say.
--
C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
 "The C-FAQ Book" ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:35:48 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> I can't believe the number of delays we've had, but who cares?  It's done now.
> These are the *2001* results.  Yes, there was a year of delay in there.

Yay and phhffft. :-P These code snippets NEVER compile for me, on MSVC
under Windows 2000. They're all very interesting, but they're all very
UNIX oriented, and worthless to me. All I can do is poke at the {*filter*}y
fragments, and wonder what they'd look like when they're alive.

First one I tried, by 'anonymous', wouldn't compile - 9 errors, 7
warnings.

--Kamilche
--

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:36:13 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> I can't believe the number of delays we've had, but who cares?  It's done
> now.
> These are the *2001* results.  Yes, there was a year of delay in there.

Neat, but by no means a record. :-)

Quote:
> http://www.ioccc.org/

> Slashdotted?  Try the mirrors:

> http://www0.us.ioccc.org/
> http://www1.us.ioccc.org/
> http://www.de.ioccc.org/
> http://www.es.ioccc.org/
> http://www.au.ioccc.org/
> http://www.tw.ioccc.org/
> http://www.gr.ioccc.org/

Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c

This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen. I would post
it here were it not for the two facts that (a) the line length marginally
exceeds recommended Usenet article line length and (b) the line length
matters to the program.

Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
different ways!

<snip>

Quote:
> We thank you all for your patience.

Well worth the wait!

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:37:09 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

on comp.lang.c:

Quote:
> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
> http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c
> This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen. I would post
> it here were it not for the two facts that (a) the line length marginally
> exceeds recommended Usenet article line length and (b) the line length
> matters to the program.
> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
> different ways!

That code is downright evil. I stared at it for over five minutes and
all I could understand from it was that it declared the same global
variables over and over again. Is that even allowed in standard-
compliant C?
Then I built it using the Makefile and ran it giving it the input that
the hint file recommended. It dumped a meaningless bunch of seemingly
random characters at me. What's the big deal?

"Products like that make me wish I could menstruate."
   - Andy Richter
--

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:33:07 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
> http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c
> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
> different ways!

Pretty cool. I hadn't thought about doing that with text.
Non-proportional font needed, of course.

Brian Rodenborn
--

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:33:13 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!
--

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:33:19 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen.

Too bad it doesn't compile. However, it *is* truly amazing. In fact, I got
so e{*filter*}d when I saw it that I accidentally reposted Richard's post with
the lame subject line "(no subject)". For some odd reason, I just wasn't
thinking straight.

--
Tim Hagan
--

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:33:40 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> on comp.lang.c:
>> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
>> http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c

>> This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen. I would post
>> it here were it not for the two facts that (a) the line length marginally
>> exceeds recommended Usenet article line length and (b) the line length
>> matters to the program.

>> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
>> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
>> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
>> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
>> different ways!

> That code is downright evil. I stared at it for over five minutes and
> all I could understand from it was that it declared the same global
> variables over and over again. Is that even allowed in standard-
> compliant C?

You are looking too close. There are only five characters that matter
and they will leap out at you.

Quote:
> Then I built it using the Makefile and ran it giving it the input that
> the hint file recommended. It dumped a meaningless bunch of seemingly
> random characters at me. What's the big deal?

It is a meaningless bunch of random characters (unless you run it with the
input that generates the program). However it has hidden depths and
is a truely awesome piece of code which must have taken months to produce.

Tim.

--

and there was light.

     http://tjw.hn.org/      http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/
--

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:03 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!
On 07 Feb 2003 17:33:07 GMT,

Quote:

> on comp.lang.c:
>> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
>> http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c

>> This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen. I would post
>> it here were it not for the two facts that (a) the line length marginally
>> exceeds recommended Usenet article line length and (b) the line length
>> matters to the program.

>> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
>> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
>> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
>> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
>> different ways!

> That code is downright evil. I stared at it for over five minutes and
> all I could understand from it was that it declared the same global
> variables over and over again. Is that even allowed in standard-
> compliant C?

You are looking too close. There are only five characters that matter
and they will leap out at you.

Quote:
> Then I built it using the Makefile and ran it giving it the input that
> the hint file recommended. It dumped a meaningless bunch of seemingly
> random characters at me. What's the big deal?

It is a meaningless bunch of random characters (unless you run it with the
input that generates the program). However it has hidden depths and
is a truely awesome piece of code which must have taken months to produce.

Tim.

--

and there was light.

     http://tjw.hn.org/      http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/
--

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:05 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
> different ways!

Ew. I had to read the hints to see what you were talking about. I have
never once in my life been able to make out those 'amazing 3d noise
pictures', no matter how long I stare at them. I think it's due to my
lack of depth perception. So give a blind person a clue! :-D What's it
a picture of?
--

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:13 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> Then I built it using the Makefile and ran it giving it the input that
> the hint file recommended. It dumped a meaningless bunch of seemingly
> random characters at me. What's the big deal?

I don't think you got the full (3-D) effect then.

Brian Rodenborn
--

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:14 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
> http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c

> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
> different ways!

Except for those of us who can't see this kind of picture. But indeed a
brilliant idea (or as my GF would say: "Some people have far too much
time at their hands.").
--

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:18 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> on comp.lang.c:
>> Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
>> http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c

>> This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen. I would post
>> it here were it not for the two facts that (a) the line length marginally
>> exceeds recommended Usenet article line length and (b) the line length
>> matters to the program.

>> Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical IOCCC
>> unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
>> stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
>> comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two very
>> different ways!

> That code is downright evil. I stared at it for over five minutes and
> all I could understand from it was that it declared the same global
> variables over and over again. Is that even allowed in standard-
> compliant C?
> Then I built it using the Makefile and ran it giving it the input that
> the hint file recommended. It dumped a meaningless bunch of seemingly
> random characters at me. What's the big deal?

You haven't stared at it for long enough.  (It is really, really cool).

        - Kevin.
--

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:54 GMT
 IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

Quote:

> on comp.lang.c:
> > Folks, you *must* *please* go and check out
> > http://www.de.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann2.c

> > This is the most insanely brilliant program I have ever seen. I would
post
> > it here were it not for the two facts that (a) the line length
marginally
> > exceeds recommended Usenet article line length and (b) the line length
> > matters to the program.

> > Get the program. Look at the source code, and think "yeh yeh typical
IOCCC
> > unreadable junk". Then *look* at the source code. Really look. Stare and
> > stare and stare at the source code until your eyes go funny. Suddenly,
> > comprehension will dawn. This code is /truly/ self-documenting, in two
very
> > different ways!

> That code is downright evil. I stared at it for over five minutes and
> all I could understand from it was that it declared the same global
> variables over and over again. Is that even allowed in standard-
> compliant C?
> Then I built it using the Makefile and ran it giving it the input that
> the hint file recommended. It dumped a meaningless bunch of seemingly
> random characters at me. What's the big deal?

I added a correct prototype for main() at the top, so that diagnostic tools
would see that error.
Lots of headers missing.
Some diagnostics from that file:

herrmann2.c
herrmann2.c(3): warning #77: this declaration has no storage class or type
specifier
  e;b;*ad,a,c;  te;b;*ad,a,c;  te;*ad,a,c;  w,te;*ad,a,  w,te;*ad,and,
w,te;*ad,
    ^

[...]

herrmann2.c(4): warning #77: this declaration has no storage class or type
specifier
  r,T; wri; ;*h; r,T; wri; ;*h; r; wri; ;*h;_, r; wri;*h;_, r; wri;*har;_,
r; wri
  ^

herrmann2.c(4): warning #77: this declaration has no storage class or type
specifier
  r,T; wri; ;*h; r,T; wri; ;*h; r; wri; ;*h;_, r; wri;*h;_, r; wri;*har;_,
r; wri
    ^

herrmann2.c(4): warning #77: this declaration has no storage class or type
specifier
  r,T; wri; ;*h; r,T; wri; ;*h; r; wri; ;*h;_, r; wri;*h;_, r; wri;*har;_,
r; wri
       ^

herrmann2.c(4): remark #424: extra ";" ignored
[...]

read more »

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23:52 GMT

 [ 69 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

 Relevant Pages

1. IOCCC 2001 FINALLY FINISHED - Winners up on web site!

2. IOCCC winners are posted!

3. IOCCC Winners announced!

4. IOCCC Winners????

5. Have the 1991 IOCCC winners been announced?

6. Redirect web request to diffrent web site from an ISAPI filter

7. Integration of C++ 6 with Platform SDK Nov 2001

8. LCTES 2001 (ACM SIGPLAN Workshop)

9. CFP: Parallel Tools Meeting May 16-18, 2001

10. *Linux@work Europe 2001

11. WOMPAT 2001 Call For Papers

12. Call for Papers: LCTES 2001 (ACM SIGPLAN Workshop)