Are there std. Floating Pt. Exts.?
Author Message
 Are there std. Floating Pt. Exts.?

(Sorry about the abbreviated headline; it should have read "Standard
Floating Point Extensions")

There are a number of useful math functions which are not included in the
standard ANSI C math library, but seem to have a fairly standard usage
across many different implementations of the C language.  Some examples:

inf(), nan(): generate representations of infinity and not-a-number values
isinf(), isnan(): tests for infinity and not-a-number values
asinh(), atanh(): inverse hyperbolic sine and tangent

I've been doing a lot of Mac programming lately, and Apple provides this
header file called <fp.h> which contains definitions for these and other
such routines.  Interestingly, this header contains the following comment:

/*******************************************************************************
*                                                                              *
*      File fp.h   -   PowerPC and 68K Macintosh                               *
*                                                                              *
*      A collection of numerical functions designed to facilitate a wide       *
*      range of numerical programming. It is modeled after the Floating-Point  *
*      C Extensions (FPCE) proposed technical draft of the Numerical C         *
*      Extensions Group's requirements (NCEG / X3J11.1).                       *

This leads me to believe that there -is- actually a somewhat standard set
of floating-point extensions.  Does anybody know where I could obtain the
standard?  or, better yet, obtain a draft copy of the new floating-point
extensions header file?  Or, even better yet, obtain a
reasonably-portable source code implementation of those new functions?
(I've written all of the above examples myself!)

Thanks in advance,

-Tim DeBenedictis

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Are there std. Floating Pt. Exts.?

Quote:

>There are a number of useful math functions which are not included in the
>standard ANSI C math library, but seem to have a fairly standard usage
>across many different implementations of the C language.  Some examples:

>inf(), nan(): generate representations of infinity and not-a-number values
>isinf(), isnan(): tests for infinity and not-a-number values
>asinh(), atanh(): inverse hyperbolic sine and tangent

The Numerical C Extensions Group defined a set of these, but I moved
into other areas and lost track of their progress.

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.

Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Are there std Floating Pt. Exts.?

2. Are there std. Floating Pt. Exts.?

3. Minus Sign and Float. Pt. Edit Control

4. floating pt. cast as int

5. floating pt.: roundoff or truncate?

6. floating pt errors..

7. Intel Floating Pt Error

8. floating pt in TC

9. turbo C floating pt error quetion

10. MFC Floating Pt Error

11. Hide Taskbar Programmatically Pt. II

12. Show AutoHide Taskbar Programmatically Pt. I