learning c
Author Message
 learning c

I have just finished reading a book on c programming and I am very much
interested in being involved in c programming but my current job and
experience ( one book ) is limiting me from doing that.  I was wondering
if their is someway for me to be involved in projects (online) for just
the experience (no money).  I know that their is allot of open source
stuff out there but they probably want experience while I am seeking to
work along with experienced programmers.

any ideas?

thanks
anthonyc
--

Sun, 20 Apr 2003 08:33:39 GMT
 learning c

Quote:

> I have just finished reading a book on c programming and I am very
> much interested in being involved in c programming but my current
> job and experience ( one book ) is limiting me from doing that.  I
> was wondering if their is someway for me to be involved in projects
> (online) for just the experience (no money).  I know that their is
> allot of open source stuff out there but they probably want
> experience while I am seeking to work along with experienced
> programmers.

> any ideas?

Sourceforge is a major host of open source projects.  They have a
directory that you can browse at this URL:

    http://sourceforge.net/people/

I'd think, though, that it might be better to get your feet wet on
some projects of your own.  Think of a program that might be fun to
write, and write it.

C is the kind of language where having a couple of programs under your
belt makes it easier to work with and understand other people's code.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:

Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:07:14 GMT
 learning c

Quote:
>I have just finished reading a book on c programming and I am very much
>interested in being involved in c programming but my current job and
>experience ( one book ) is limiting me from doing that.  I was wondering
>if their is someway for me to be involved in projects (online) for just
>the experience (no money).  I know that their is allot of open source
>stuff out there but they probably want experience while I am seeking to
>work along with
>programmers.

>any ideas?

Well, it would be a start if you told us which book you read. That will
give us some idea as to how much you might know and how much false
information you will have to forget.

Francis Glassborow      Association of C & C++ Users
64 Southfield Rd
Oxford OX4 1PA          +44(0)1865 246490

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:16:47 GMT
 learning c

Quote:

>I have just finished reading a book on c programming and I am very much
>interested in being involved in c programming but my current job and
>experience ( one book ) is limiting me from doing that.  I was wondering
>if their is someway for me to be involved in projects (online) for just
>the experience (no money).  I know that their is allot of open source
>stuff out there but they probably want experience while I am seeking to
>work along with experienced programmers.

Get a copy of Linux/FreeBSD complete with a source code CD.

Tweak the source code of your favourite programs, starting with little ones.

Once you have familiarity with the way things work, take a look
at some of the alpha projects on Sourceforge or similar.

I suggest alpha stuff because they're the projects that would find
a competent (rather than guru) pair of hands/eyes useful in
getting broken code to a usable state.

The person who wrote the Enlightenment window manager
had never even seen C code two years ago.

I can't think of a better thing to put on your CV than

"Part of product development team for Apache"  :)

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:17:21 GMT

1. Learn C first or learn C later?

2. You just learned $#it (Re: I just learned NNTP)

3. Learn C first or learn C later?

4. Should I learn C before learning C++?

5. HELP!: Where shall I start to learn C to then learn C++???

6. What's the best language to learn? [was Re: Should I learn C

7. learn

8. Coming from Perl background, where to learn from?

9. Is it worth learning Visual C++ 6.0 ?

10. just learning - how to create a program in c++

11. Learning to use an API

12. Learning .NET