Topic question
Author Message
 Topic question

Hello all,
        I have a question about the nature of this newsgroup. I've been reading
comp.lang.c for a while now, and well, it's gotten crowded with garbage. Once
in a while a good question of two comes around, but nothing really dramatic.
While reading this newsgroup, I read a posting someone did(sorry, forgot
the name) that had in it that this newsgroup was for people who knew C very
well and that this group was for people to be fruitful with that knowledge.
I don't really have very many questions at all about C. I've programmed in it
extensively for 4 years and could probably do some damage in an obfuscated C
contest. But, I want to talk about C in the sense of an artform. Such as
multiple ways to solve a problem(simple, or complex), code that does something
extraordinary(but not obfuscated in the sense of unreadable), different ways
of expressing various concepts like: heterogeneous lists, doing c++ classes
purely in ansi C(minus the private section), uses of function pointers beyond
normal comprehension, "You did what with how many casts?". Of course, some
of the things discussed might not be wholly correct or actually done that way
in practice, but still for people who know right from wrong, it would give
more experiences down the road, so that more and better code can be written.
I've looked around for something like "comp.lang.c.artform" but I didn't
find anything that would be anywhere near it. I need a place where everyone
cares more about how to express very high level concepts in C and less about
whether or not EMACS or vi is the best editor or spend time debating the
'void main(void)' issue. Posting the actual source code of our endevours would
be nice too, it would force us to squeeze the code into doing the task at hand,
and no more.  Do you think there might be a home for me in this newsgroup?
Thanks for your time.

-Peter Keller

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Topic question

|>   I have a question about the nature of this newsgroup. I've been reading
|> comp.lang.c for a while now, and well, it's gotten crowded with garbage. Once
|> in a while a good question of two comes around, but nothing really dramatic.
|> While reading this newsgroup, I read a posting someone did(sorry, forgot
|> the name) that had in it that this newsgroup was for people who knew C very
|> well and that this group was for people to be fruitful with that knowledge.

I'd say that's more or less true. Beginners are welcome here, but they
tend to gravitate to the free-for-all across the hall.

|> I've looked around for something like "comp.lang.c.artform" but I didn't
|> find anything that would be anywhere near it. I need a place where everyone
|> cares more about how to express very high level concepts in C and less about
|> whether or not EMACS or vi is the best editor or spend time debating the
|> 'void main(void)' issue.

Don't we all! ;)

|> and no more.  Do you think there might be a home for me in this newsgroup?
|> Thanks for your time.

Personally, I'd love to see more of that kind of discussion. Post away!

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Topic question

Quote:
> Hello all,
>    I have a question about the nature of this newsgroup. I've been reading
> comp.lang.c for a while now, and well, it's gotten crowded with garbage.
Once
> in a while a good question of two comes around, but nothing really
dramatic.
> While reading this newsgroup, I read a posting someone did(sorry, forgot
> the name) that had in it that this newsgroup was for people who knew C
very
> well and that this group was for people to be fruitful with that

knowledge...etc....

Along those lines, why not a groupd that welcomes the questions, insights
and experiences of new programmers?   Why the scorn toward those who are
new to anything on the net?  Being someone who has had an intense interest
in computers for years, I finally decided at the ripe old age of 26 to take
my knowledge to the next level and learn to program.  The Internet/USENET
is the perfect place for the exchange of ideas and knowledge (which should
be free to those who will ask for it).
People like Mr. Keller would make a great resident 'coach' for such a
group.  Think of the reward of watching the efforts of individuals who are
hungry to learn come to fruition through the sharing of ideas, struggles,
questions and triumphs....

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Topic question

Quote:
>Hello all,
>    I have a question about the nature of this newsgroup. I've been
reading
>comp.lang.c for a while now, and well, it's gotten crowded with

garbage.

That exactly why I no longer read it too.

But let's think of the reasons why it's so full of garbage; my thoughts
include
the notion that partly it is because there are too many students of C
for the
number of ( competent ) teachers available. So I would very much like to
hear
from others as to how they think this situation should and could be
rectified
- my, now rather dated, and first effort is mentioned in the .sig box.
Assuming that we all want to have well designed and properly written
code to execute,
imho a rare commodity at the moment, perhaps we should examine the
teaching paradigm
( promise I won't use that word again :-) for training competent
programmers and
system designers. So, please could I request the indulgence of the
moderator(s) to
allow a more wide-ranging discussion than strictly C language issues to
develop.

[ ... for the sake of bandwidth ... ]

Quote:
>But, I want to talk about C in the sense of an artform.

Yes; indeed!
How many programs does one read which use the pre-processor properly in
order
to make reading of the program text easier?

[ ... for the sake of bandwidth ... ]

Quote:
>I've looked around for something like "comp.lang.c.artform" but I
didn't
>find anything that would be anywhere near it. I need a place where
everyone
>cares more about how to express very high level concepts in C and less
about
>whether or not EMACS or vi is the best editor or spend time debating
the
>'void main(void)' issue.

Another Indeed!

Quote:
>Posting the actual source code of our endevours would
>be nice too,

Or making it available from a ftp or www server. I'm not keen on
_masses_
of raw C program texts in a newsgroup.

Quote:
>Do you think there might be a home for me in this newsgroup?

I think and hope so. You are welcome as far as I am concerned.

Sincerely etc.,

--
 +-------------PLEASE, PLEASE, NO ADVERTISING E-MAIL!!!----------------+
 | NAME  Christopher Sawtell                                           |

 |                   The Notes for C Programmers                       |
 |       - The most widely distributed C tutorial in the world -       |
 |                      are available from:-                           |
 |         ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.uk/pub/misc/sawtell_C.shar            |
 |      ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz  |
 +---------PLEASE NOTE THAT LOCAL TIME IS GMT PLUS 13 HOURS------------+

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Off Topic Question: Please don't SPAM

2. OFF TOPIC: Questions about Open Source Development.

3. my off-topic question

4. <Off Topic Question> Procedural Languages?

5. off-topic (comp.lang.c.off-topic)

6. Several questions on varying topics

7. Off-topic: gdb questions

8. On topic newbie pointer question.

9. On Topic Pointer Question

10. Off-topic (FTP question)

11. Are questions about coding in an __asm block off topic here

12. Off topic: A question about web pages.