Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)
Author Message
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)

Fellow Bit-flippers:

This old C programmer is moving off DEC/VAX C and into a new
programming/debugging environment (for me, that is); C on
Sun Solaris 2.4 (on a SPARC server 1000, I believe).

Can anyone recommend any books to help me make my shift?  I've
thought about purchasing O'Reilly's books on C for Unix as well
as "make" but have not yet done so.  Thought I might get some
advice from you folks first.

Any and all advice is most appreciated.

-Mike Schmidt

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)

Quote:
Schmidt) writes:
> This old C programmer is moving off DEC/VAX C and into a new
> programming/debugging environment (for me, that is); C on
> Sun Solaris 2.4 (on a SPARC server 1000, I believe).

> Can anyone recommend any books to help me make my shift?  I've
> thought about purchasing O'Reilly's books on C for Unix as well
> as "make" but have not yet done so.  Thought I might get some
> advice from you folks first.

It's old, and doesn't cover things like sockets (or X-Windows), but the
best book on this is still Kernighan and Pike's _The_Unix_Programming_
_Environment_.

[Approved because the book is largely, though not entirely, a C book, Unix
 oriented though it may be, and because it's one of the best books on
 programming.  The design discussions would benefit programmers on any
 system. -mod]
--

GABI Software, Sarl., 8 rue des Francs Bourgeois, 67000 Strasbourg, France
Conseils, tudes et ralisations en logiciel orient objet --

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)
[This is about the practical limit to what's on topic in a C newsgroup, and
 honestly, goes beyond it a bit.  But we're inclined to err on the side of
 excess articles over here. -mod]

Quote:

>Fellow Bit-flippers:
>Can anyone recommend any books to help me make my shift?  I've
>thought about purchasing O'Reilly's books on C for Unix as well
>as "make" but have not yet done so.  Thought I might get some
>advice from you folks first.

Hi Mike,

i learned more than a lot from

  Marc J. Rochkind: Advanced UNIX programming (Prentice Hall ...)

and

 W. Richerd Stevens: UNIX Network Programming (Prentice Hall)

any better sugestions?
see u later

"Never check for errors you don't know how to handle"

Bernhard Vogeler c/o FernUniversitaet GHS in Hagen

smail:  FernUniversitaet GHS
        Postfach 940
D 58084 Hagen

Tel  (49) 2331 987 2871   /   Fax  (49) 2331 987 313

Sat, 11 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)
: Fellow Bit-flippers:

: This old C programmer is moving off DEC/VAX C and into a new
: programming/debugging environment (for me, that is); C on
: Sun Solaris 2.4 (on a SPARC server 1000, I believe).

: Can anyone recommend any books to help me make my shift?  I've
: thought about purchasing O'Reilly's books on C for Unix as well
: as "make" but have not yet done so.  Thought I might get some
: advice from you folks first.

: Any and all advice is most appreciated.

The best UNIX book for all platforms including solaris since it cover
SVR4 is:

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Richard Stevens
Addison-Wesley, 1992, 744pp, ISBN: 0-201-56317-7

Everything is there and its up to date unlike other UNIX books that
were published in the '80's.

Another book someone mentioned is also good and discusses other topics
in addition to networking is:

UNIX Network programming by Richard Stevens ( same author )
Prentice-Hall, 1990, 772pp, ISBN: 0-13-949876-1

There is a Nutshell book called Using C on the UNIX system.  It says
this is a book for intermdiate to experienced C programmers who want to
become UNIX system programmers.  IT explains systems calls and special
library routines on the UNIX system.  250pp.

I have not read the above but you might make a good 3rd book in addition
to the Steven's books.  can never have enough reference books :-):w

Good luck, and welcome to UNIX...

Sun, 12 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)

Quote:
>This old C programmer is moving off DEC/VAX C and into a new
>programming/debugging environment (for me, that is); C on
>Sun Solaris 2.4 (on a SPARC server 1000, I believe).

>Can anyone recommend any books to help me make my shift?  I've
>thought about purchasing O'Reilly's books on C for Unix as well
>as "make" but have not yet done so.  Thought I might get some
>advice from you folks first.

Take a look at "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" by W. Richard
Stevens.  Not Sun-centric, but a great all-around UNIX & C reference.

David Deatherage
DST Systems, Inc.

Sun, 12 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)
: Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Richard Stevens
: Addison-Wesley, 1992, 744pp, ISBN: 0-201-56317-7

This is a great book - it covers all the standards from POSIX & ANSI to
XPG{2,3}, FIPS et al.

A great book for individuals very fluent in C, especially various UNIX
flavors - is the following:

Posix Programmers Guide:  Writing Portable UNIX Programs by Donald Lewine
(An ORA book)  March 1994, ~600pp, ISBN: 0-937175-73-0

Sat, 18 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)
: Fellow Bit-flippers:

: This old C programmer is moving off DEC/VAX C and into a new
: programming/debugging environment (for me, that is); C on
: Sun Solaris 2.4 (on a SPARC server 1000, I believe).

: Can anyone recommend any books to help me make my shift?  I've
: thought about purchasing O'Reilly's books on C for Unix as well
: as "make" but have not yet done so.  Thought I might get some
: advice from you folks first.

Coming from DOS/a little unix into a major unix shop, I have found
Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" a godsend.

It is part of the Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series.
ISBN: 0-201-56317-7

Good Luck,

Dave

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Frascone                                      Phone: (770) 623-2450

Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Advice - C Programming Books for Unix (Solaris 2.x)

2. FS: Programming and CS Books --- CHEAP

3. Book advice: Any text-book like books?

5. Help!!! Novice CS Advice

6. BOOKS HOW TO UNIX/PERL/C-SHELL PROGRAMMING???

7. WTD: Good book for beginner on UNIX/C Programming

8. Good Books on C programming on unix

9. good books on unix programming

10. Q: C/Solaris/Unix: Where has usleep() gone?