MS stance on setup wiz problem (VB 3.0 /Win 95 distrib to earlier Wins)
Author Message
 MS stance on setup wiz problem (VB 3.0 /Win 95 distrib to earlier Wins)

I appreciate the newsgroup, because I get a heads-up on problems that exist. I
was particularly concerned about one that has shown up a few times in this
newsgroup;  that setup wizard in VB 3.0 picks the wrong versions of some files
for distribution, if you are using VB 3.0 on Win 95.   I still don't know what
to do about this (how will I know which files are wrong, and what are the
correct files?), so I searched the June 1996 TechNet CD for the problem. This
is all I found (in PSS Q100003, written on March 3 of this year, announcing a
new version of the setup wizard and the bug/fix list associated with the
product).

Quoting now from Q100003:

- Install disks created on the M8 Beta release of Win95 do not work
   properly on earlier versions of Windows and may cause significant
   problems with Windows versions 3.x systems. This problem has been
   handled in later versions of Windows 95. Note that creating production
   files on Beta operating systems is discouraged.

I am assuming from your remarks in the newsgroup that later versions of Windows
95 did NOT solve the problem.  True?

So, I'm left with my question.  I use Wise Installation software for my actual
installation program, but I use VB's set up wizard to tell me which files to
distribute for my project.   How will I know which ones are false?

Any help would be appreciated.

Carolyn Plette

Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MS stance on setup wiz problem (VB 3.0 /Win 95 distrib to earlier Wins)

 I use Wise Installation software for my actual installation program, but
I use
VB's set up wizard to tell me which files to distribute for my project.
<<<

Have you tried using the Run Application button in the Installation Expert
to have Wise determine which files to include in your installation? We
designed that feature specifically to get the exact list of support files
required by VB4 applications (both Win16 and Win32).

John McMillan
GLBS Inc.

Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. JOB: US Visual Basic Developers (2) - VB/MS-Access/Win-NT/Win 95/OLE/MFC

2. Win 3.1, Win 95, VB3 and Setup !!!

3. Problem with winexec using VB 3.0 app on Win 95

4. Setup for Win 3.1x and Win 95

5. Common Dialog Problem (Win '95 VB 3.0)

6. Problems using VB 3.0 on Win 95 ???

7. Problems using VB 3.0 on Win 95 ???

8. Problems using VB 3.0 on Win 95 ???

9. Problems using VB 3.0 on Win 95 ???