I need help reading a data base
Author Message
 I need help reading a data base

I havent programed anything in the last 3 years, however i have this
large data base of customers in a cd rom.  I can extract them and read
them indevidually form Ms Word but that will take a million years.

All I want to do with the data is get the first names, last names the
name of the bussiness and how much they owe. And i want to be able to
use thier fisr name, last name or thier busseness to find out how much
they owe.  I just want to know whats the best way of extracting this
info individually, or extraxting them in groups of 10 or 20 that are
simular in spelling? I know its a simple code to write b/c there is no
arithmatic or anything involved. I havent programed anything in so
long I Just dont know where to start.  I wold like to know what
program i should use and  how to begin on wrting the code.  If there
is a software that could do this let me know? A software wont be as
fun but it sure will be easier but hey all suggestions are are welcome.

TIA
Ambesa

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:25:26 GMT
 I need help reading a data base

Quote:
> I havent programed anything in the last 3 years, however i have this
> large data base of customers in a cd rom.  I can extract them and read
> them indevidually form Ms Word but that will take a million years.

> All I want to do with the data is get the first names, last names the
> name of the bussiness and how much they owe. And i want to be able to
> use thier fisr name, last name or thier busseness to find out how much
> they owe.  I just want to know whats the best way of extracting this
> info individually, or extraxting them in groups of 10 or 20 that are
> simular in spelling? I know its a simple code to write b/c there is no
> arithmatic or anything involved. I havent programed anything in so
> long I Just dont know where to start.  I wold like to know what
> program i should use and  how to begin on wrting the code.  If there
> is a software that could do this let me know? A software wont be as
> fun but it sure will be easier but hey all suggestions are are welcome.

> TIA
> Ambesa

If you are trying to get data out of a database by using Word then I don't
think you have "programmed" ever. Could you give us a small hint as to what
type of database you are trying to extract data from?

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:34:47 GMT
 I need help reading a data base
ambesaking,

I take it you're using the word "database" loosely in that you have a bunch
of Word documents?  Invoices, perhaps?

If that's the case, what you could do is write a Word "macro" that opens
each document, reads the information you want and, say, writes it to a text
file, an Excel spreadsheet, etc.

If you want to do this the pedantic way, I believe O'Reilly publishing has
books on "automating" Word.  Alternatively, start Word, start macro
recording, then open and read a document.  Stop recording the macro, and
look at generated code.

--A

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:35:49 GMT
 I need help reading a data base

Quote:

> > I havent programed anything in the last 3 years, however i have this
> > large data base of customers in a cd rom.  I can extract them and read
> > them indevidually form Ms Word but that will take a million years.

> > All I want to do with the data is get the first names, last names the
> > name of the bussiness and how much they owe. And i want to be able to
> > use thier fisr name, last name or thier busseness to find out how much
> > they owe.  I just want to know whats the best way of extracting this
> > info individually, or extraxting them in groups of 10 or 20 that are
> > simular in spelling? I know its a simple code to write b/c there is no
> > arithmatic or anything involved. I havent programed anything in so
> > long I Just dont know where to start.  I wold like to know what
> > program i should use and  how to begin on wrting the code.  If there
> > is a software that could do this let me know? A software wont be as
> > fun but it sure will be easier but hey all suggestions are are welcome.

> > TIA
> > Ambesa

> If you are trying to get data out of a database by using Word then I don't
> think you have "programmed" ever. Could you give us a small hint as to what
> type of database you are trying to extract data from?

I recied a data of business, names and phone number and the data is
.txt file and its like 144 million bytes. all I want to do is be able
to read this info seperatly.  The only programing I did was COBOL and
I havent touched a program in three years, needless to say I am out of
date. Any sugestions

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:29:20 GMT
 I need help reading a data base

 > I recied a data of business, names and
 > phone number and the data is .TXT file
 > and its like 144 million bytes. all I want to
 > do is be able to read this info seperatly.
 > The only programing I did was COBOL
 > and I havent touched a program in three
 > years, needless to say I am out of
 > date. Any sugestions

You need to determine how the data is arranged in that text file, and then
you can come up with a strategy for reading it. Figuring out how it's
arranged so you can read it may be more trouble than writing it to records
in a database. It's _possible_, but not for certain, that you might be able
to use Fixed Text, or perhaps Delimited Text import in Access to get it into
an Access database that you can then use from VB.

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:49:06 GMT
 I need help reading a data base

Quote:

> > > I havent programed anything in the last 3 years, however i have this
> > > large data base of customers in a cd rom.  I can extract them and read
> > > them indevidually form Ms Word but that will take a million years.

> > > All I want to do with the data is get the first names, last names the
> > > name of the bussiness and how much they owe. And i want to be able to
> > > use thier fisr name, last name or thier busseness to find out how much
> > > they owe.  I just want to know whats the best way of extracting this
> > > info individually, or extraxting them in groups of 10 or 20 that are
> > > simular in spelling? I know its a simple code to write b/c there is no
> > > arithmatic or anything involved. I havent programed anything in so
> > > long I Just dont know where to start.  I wold like to know what
> > > program i should use and  how to begin on wrting the code.  If there
> > > is a software that could do this let me know? A software wont be as
> > > fun but it sure will be easier but hey all suggestions are are welcome.

> > > TIA
> > > Ambesa

> > If you are trying to get data out of a database by using Word then I don't
> > think you have "programmed" ever. Could you give us a small hint as to what
> > type of database you are trying to extract data from?

> I recied a data of business, names and phone number and the data is
> .txt file and its like 144 million bytes. all I want to do is be able
> to read this info seperatly.  The only programing I did was COBOL and
> I havent touched a program in three years, needless to say I am out of
> date. Any sugestions

From your description you have one very large file which you are
opening in WORD because you have word available.

What you want is a program that will read your text file, perhaps only
use specific fields, and put it in a format you can easily use.

WHAT do you want to do with the data.

** If you can post a few lines of the text file to show its layout you
will get better help.

To convert it I would create a VB program that created a database with
the fields you want to keep.

I would write another program to read your text file, extract the
fields, and write it to the database.

Two programs to keep each as simple as possible.

I would create a form with one command button and put all the code in
the command_click subroutine.

a print "done!" statement to show the program is done.

Once the data is in a database the program to extract the information
you want is fairly simple since you can use an sql query to extract
records.

If you can afford it something like microsoft access or excel will get
you going faster than coding it in basic.

for access or excel use the import function (get external data) and
follow the prompt screen to split the text into fields.

If you need it fast I would approach a contracting agency in your
area.

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 02:48:03 GMT

1. Need help to create a Data base work

2. need help for v3...working with data bases

3. Need help to create a Data base work(Toronto)

4. Help - Simply Getting Data from Extrenal Data Files (not from Access Data Base)

5. Reading Works Data Base

6. Need help reading data from comm port

7. Please, I need information on data base recordset..

8. PLEASE, NEED INFORMATION ON DATA BASES

9. vb code need for my first data base in vb5 from carl

10. Web based form feeding a vb data base

11. Need an Algorithm for Converting Decimals (Base 10) to Binary (base 2)

12. HELP: Connect to Ingres Data Base from Visual Basic .NET