US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
Author Message
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted

Interocity Development, a Manhattan-based web and broadband development
firm, seeks a *local* Visual Basic programmer for a very short-term
contract project.  The project involves creating a VB front end for a
simple custom streaming media application.  Familiarity with Real
Networks' SMIL file format is a big plus.  Project would start
immediately and last approximately two weeks.

Copley directly at 212-965-9840, extension 212.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
 > Interocity Development, a Manhattan-based web and broadband
development
 > firm, seeks a *local* Visual Basic programmer for a very short-term
 > contract project.

Employment solicitations (and responses thereto) are off-topic (and
unwelcome to serious technical Q&A participants) in technical
discussion newsgroups. Since most of the _experienced_ regular
participants view these posts as unwelcome and will not respond, it is
also not a particularly fertile field for finding _qualified_
candidates.

In fact, most ISPs post information on Newsgroup Netiquette and explain
that adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited by
USENET newsgroup rules in all newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter
specifically allows them. The charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
does not allow either.

By the way, there are quite a number of jobs newsgroups and job sites
which are likely to be more productive than this newsgroup. Using any
of the major search engines with search words of "jobs" and "computers"
will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the newsgroups
they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of the jobs
newsgroups are identified by locality there is likely one for yours.

When you do, it would be a good idea not to use an international
newsgroup (as comp.lang.basic.visual.misc is, by the way) to search for
a candidate for a local job. (ISPs around the world have to move that
message and it clutters the newsgroups for thousands of users to whom
it does not apply).

We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding qualified
candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for
your future consideration.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
 > Interocity Development, a Manhattan-based web and broadband
development
 > firm, seeks a *local* Visual Basic programmer for a very short-term
 > contract project.

Employment solicitations (and responses thereto) are off-topic (and
unwelcome to serious technical Q&A participants) in technical
discussion newsgroups. Since most of the _experienced_ regular
participants view these posts as unwelcome and will not respond, it is
also not a particularly fertile field for finding _qualified_
candidates.

In fact, most ISPs post information on Newsgroup Netiquette and explain
that adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited by
USENET newsgroup rules in all newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter
specifically allows them. The charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
does not allow either.

By the way, there are quite a number of jobs newsgroups and job sites
which are likely to be more productive than this newsgroup. Using any
of the major search engines with search words of "jobs" and "computers"
will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the newsgroups
they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of the jobs
newsgroups are identified by locality there is likely one for yours.

When you do, it would be a good idea not to use an international
newsgroup (as comp.lang.basic.visual.misc is, by the way) to search for
a candidate for a local job. (ISPs around the world have to move that
message and it clutters the newsgroups for thousands of users to whom
it does not apply).

We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding qualified
candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for
your future consideration.

cc: original poster

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
Especially inappropriate as Telecommuting should ALWAYS be an option.
Why would I ever want to go to NYC except to see my Sister or Sasha/Digweed?
If this were a position generally available to all participants in this ng,
then
it would still be inappropriate and we would still see Larry's ng-job-cop
missive,
but I would not otherwise post this little dooger...(responding from clbvm).
Neila
Quote:

> > Interocity Development, a Manhattan-based web and broadband
>development
> > firm, seeks a *local* Visual Basic programmer for a very short-term
> > contract project.

>Employment solicitations (and responses thereto) are off-topic (and
>unwelcome to serious technical Q&A participants) in technical
>discussion newsgroups. Since most of the _experienced_ regular
>participants view these posts as unwelcome and will not respond, it is
>also not a particularly fertile field for finding _qualified_
>candidates.

>In fact, most ISPs post information on Newsgroup Netiquette and explain
>that adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited by
>USENET newsgroup rules in all newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter
>specifically allows them. The charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>does not allow either.

>By the way, there are quite a number of jobs newsgroups and job sites
>which are likely to be more productive than this newsgroup. Using any
>of the major search engines with search words of "jobs" and "computers"
>will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
>posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the newsgroups
>they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of the jobs
>newsgroups are identified by locality there is likely one for yours.

>When you do, it would be a good idea not to use an international
>newsgroup (as comp.lang.basic.visual.misc is, by the way) to search for
>a candidate for a local job. (ISPs around the world have to move that
>message and it clutters the newsgroups for thousands of users to whom
>it does not apply).

>We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
>just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
>bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
>answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding qualified
>candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for
>your future consideration.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
>Before you buy.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
Larry,

Is this aginst the charter of Comp.lang.basic.visual.misc?

Frank G. Haymes

Quote:

> > Interocity Development, a Manhattan-based web and broadband
>development
> > firm, seeks a *local* Visual Basic programmer for a very short-term
> > contract project.

>Employment solicitations (and responses thereto) are off-topic (and
>unwelcome to serious technical Q&A participants) in technical
>discussion newsgroups. Since most of the _experienced_ regular
>participants view these posts as unwelcome and will not respond, it is
>also not a particularly fertile field for finding _qualified_
>candidates.

>In fact, most ISPs post information on Newsgroup Netiquette and explain
>that adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited by
>USENET newsgroup rules in all newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter
>specifically allows them. The charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>does not allow either.

>By the way, there are quite a number of jobs newsgroups and job sites
>which are likely to be more productive than this newsgroup. Using any
>of the major search engines with search words of "jobs" and "computers"
>will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
>posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the newsgroups
>they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of the jobs
>newsgroups are identified by locality there is likely one for yours.

>When you do, it would be a good idea not to use an international
>newsgroup (as comp.lang.basic.visual.misc is, by the way) to search for
>a candidate for a local job. (ISPs around the world have to move that
>message and it clutters the newsgroups for thousands of users to whom
>it does not apply).

>We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
>just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
>bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
>answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding qualified
>candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for
>your future consideration.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
>Before you buy.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted

 > Is this aginst the charter of Comp.lang.basic.visual.misc?

As included in the response to the job poster,

 > >adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited by
 > >USENET newsgroup rules in all newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter
 > >specifically allows them. The charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
 > >does not allow either.

If a newsgroup's charter is silent on the issue, then they are
prohibited. I haven't seen the charter of this newsgroup for some time.
I do recall that it did not have a statement specifically allowing
them, but I don't remember if it, like the Access newsgroup charter,
restated the prohibition. There's a comp.lang.basic.visual.announce
that is chartered for product announcements (which are a type of ad),
but I've never participated there, and don't know if it also allows job
postings.

Years ago, when traffic was not so high and job posts not so frequent,
we could take a more "relaxed" view, and we did, in this newsgroup and
its predecessor comp.lang.basic.visual. But both have increased to the
point that we can no longer ignore them. There's still a more relaxed
view here toward non-commercial and free-stuff "ads" than there is, for
example, in comp.databases.ms-access.

BTW, apologies to all for posting that response twice. I didn't _think_
I clicked the Send button twice, but www.deja.com works too well for me
to think they did it, so I guess I must have done so.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
Larry,
I have just started reading this newsgroup the last 2 months.  I see less
that 5 or 6 job postings a week.
We are generating more noise that the job postings.

If you want to not see job posting be more pro-active.

Think of some way to post a message daily to direct job posters to the
proper newsgroup.

Frank G. Haymes

Quote:

>Years ago, when traffic was not so high and job posts not so frequent,
>we could take a more "relaxed" view, and we did, in this newsgroup and
>its predecessor comp.lang.basic.visual. But both have increased to the
>point that we can no longer ignore them. There's still a more relaxed
>view here toward non-commercial and free-stuff "ads" than there is, for
>example, in comp.databases.ms-access.

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 US-NYC - VB Contract Programmer Wanted
The reason you don't see more is that we have discouraged _legions_ of
them in the past. Most of them do not, in fact, read the newsgroup
before posting, so the only way we can get the message to them is by
responding. The copies of that e-mail response posted here are just to
let people who _do_ read the newsgroup know that we are aggressively
discouraging it.

I've been here since the original comp.lang.basic.visual was formed,
the parent of this and other newsgroups -- that was back in, er, 1992,
I think. In that time, we've found this approach works well and no
other approach that appeared to work at all.

There is, indeed, a daily "FAQ post" in comp.databases.ms-access, and a
FAQ with a netiquette section to which we can refer offenders. I'm not
able to participate every day, and don't know how to set up some kind
of "bot" somewhere that would post it. But, it probably wouldn't
matter, because what recruiter actually reads technical newsgroups?

Quote:
> Larry,
> I have just started reading this newsgroup the last 2 months.  I see
less
> that 5 or 6 job postings a week.
> We are generating more noise that the job postings.

> If you want to not see job posting be more pro-active.

> Think of some way to post a message daily to direct job posters to the
> proper newsgroup.

> Frank G. Haymes

> >Years ago, when traffic was not so high and job posts not so
frequent,
> >we could take a more "relaxed" view, and we did, in this newsgroup
and
> >its predecessor comp.lang.basic.visual. But both have increased to
the
> >point that we can no longer ignore them. There's still a more relaxed
> >view here toward non-commercial and free-stuff "ads" than there is,
for
> >example, in comp.databases.ms-access.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 04 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Wanted: US-NY-NYC Consulting Contract(s)

2. US-NY-NYC-VB Contract 6+ mths $$$

3. US-NY-NYC - VB/MS-SQL Server - Snr.programmer analyst - major bank

4. US-NY-NYC - VB/MS-SQL Server - Snr.Programmer Analyst - Major Bank

5. VB PROGRAMMER WANTED IN NYC

6. Contract VB Programmer Wanted - Orange, Calif.

7. US-NY-NYC - Visual Basic/Sybase - senior programmer analyst - major investment bank

8. US-NC-VB Programmers Wanted

9. VISUAL BASIC programmer wanted in NYC

10. US-ADVANCED REVELATIONS PROGRAMMER NEEDED-CONTRACT OR PERM

11. (ANN) Wanted .NET Contract Programmers

12. CONTRACT PROGRAMMER WANTED