Wanted: VB5 Learning Version
Author Message
 Wanted: VB5 Learning Version

Having now got my appetite whetted and toes wetted with the free CCE
version of Visual Basic which I downloaded last weekend, I feel ready to
commit myself to spending some money on buying the "Learning" Version.

But I've heard glowing reports about Visual Basic 5, claiming that its
help facilities are better than in VB6, so I'd like first to know if
there are any good internet sources where VB5 is still available.

All helpful advice is warmly welcomed,

Regards,

Colin Johnson

--

Tue, 02 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanted: VB5 Learning Version

Quote:
>Having now got my appetite whetted and toes wetted with the free CCE
>version of Visual Basic which I downloaded last weekend, I feel ready to
>commit myself to spending some money on buying the "Learning" Version.

>But I've heard glowing reports about Visual Basic 5, claiming that its
>help facilities are better than in VB6, so I'd like first to know if
>there are any good internet sources where VB5 is still available.

Better help in 5.0 than in 6.0? Hmmm...

I have VB5 and VB6 (as part of VS) and I think that the difference in help is
in it's accessiblity rather than its quality. VB5 has regular 'hlp' files which
are loaded on to your PC at install and are therefore easy to access while
working. This is ( like most MS online help in my opinion ) adequate at best.

I much prefer a book I can refer to while still seeing my code on screen rather
than have the on line help hiding the thing I'm looking for help on!

VB6 comes with a two CD pack of MDSN help which covers the whole VS package

need help you need one or the other of the blasted CD's in the drive... Now if
you have a HUGE amount of spare hard drive capacity you can install this and
solve that issue - but you still the overhead of loads of Visual C++ etc
documentation to wade through. You can limit the searches of help to just VB
docs of course - but it is obviously a slower thing to use than the VB only
help that comes with VB5.

Quality wise though, I find little difference between the help offered in VB5
and VB6, both are riddled with links that take you round in circles without
ever giving easy to follow help. :-(   If someone doesn't understand what an
integer variable is, an explanation that assumes an understanding of variable
scope is a bit dumb no?

My advice, Get VB6 ( it's a little better than 5 as one would hope ) and put up
with the poorer help access - then get a book on VB6 from your library!

Fortunately VB is relatively easy to learn, so once over the initial learning
hump (for which the library book will do nicely) the help is more a reference
for syntax anyway.

With VB and 'autocomplete' it's suprising how quickly the need to 'refer to the
manuals' goes away

Al

If you can keep calm when all around you are losing their heads,
then you don't understand the gravity of the situation....

Tue, 02 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Professional Versions suddenly became Learning Version

2. IE5 turns VB5 Pro into VB5 Learning Edition

3. VB5 learning edition vs VB5 professional edition

4. Newbie wants to Learning VBA

5. Wanting to learn VB 6?

6. Testers for multilanguage learning program wanted!

7. Can you help a 16 yr old Wanting to learn VB 4

8. Newbie--Wants to learn about RTF

9. Begginer wants to learn

10. Wanting to learn Visual Basic

11. Wanting to learn VB...