Distributing True Type Fonts?
Author Message
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

How do I distribute the True Type Fonts I have been
using in my app. with my app?
Will just copying 'em to the windows system dir do,
or do they have to be installed?

TIA

Tommy Nordvik

Thu, 02 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

Nordvik) threw this at us:

Quote:
>How do I distribute the True Type Fonts I have been
>using in my app. with my app?
>Will just copying 'em to the windows system dir do,
>or do they have to be installed?

They have to be installed. Take a look at Control Panel - Font -
Install.

I _think_ that the only thing that happens is that it is
registered in WIN.INI, under [fonts]. Maybe a .FOT file is
created; you'd have to check that.

Jens
--
* Everything I said are the opinions of someone else.   *
* I just cut-and-pasted.                                *

Jens Balchen jr.       http://www.sn.no/~balchen

Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

You'll need to install it.  In Win31, this entails a .fot file and an
entry in either win.ini or system.ini (I'm not sure which exactly).

George

Quote:
>How do I distribute the True Type Fonts I have been
>using in my app. with my app?
>Will just copying 'em to the windows system dir do,
>or do they have to be installed?
>TIA
>Tommy Nordvik

 George R. Torralba              xxxxxxxxxxxx                  Batang Cebu!!!
 Seattle, Washington             206.241.2801              MIME mail accepted

Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

writes:

Quote:

>How do I distribute the True Type Fonts I have been
>using in my app. with my app?
>Will just copying 'em to the windows system dir do,
>or do they have to be installed?

THey have to be registered.  You need to 'register' the font using
AddFontResource.  THe other thing you might need to do is issue a
BROADCAST SendMessage to notify other entitied that soemthing has changed
systemically.

C Calls:
AddFontResource("fontres.fon");
SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_FONTCHANGE, 0, 0);

- Mike

Sun, 05 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

Quote:

> How do I distribute the True Type Fonts I have been
> using in my app. with my app?

Do not assume that you have the legal right to distribute those fonts.
There is an API call (GetFontInfo or something like that) that returns
information about the font including whether or not it is a copyrighted
font.  If you do not check into this, you are risking a lawsuit.

-chris

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

: > How do I distribute the True Type Fonts I have been
: > using in my app. with my app?

Check the MS Softlib program library (or elsewhere) for EMBEDDIN.EXE.
It's an MS document that deals with how to embed True Type fonts in your
app. Full details on the whole deal.....

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?
Not meaning to change the original question of this thread, but the
Subject is the same.

What about distributing a font that I want to use with my app that was
installed by another app (such as WordPerfect, MS Word, etc.)?

Thanks
Robert Jones
SK Computer Solutions
Internet:

Fido-Net:
 Robert Jones
 1:213/742

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Distributing True Type Fonts?

Quote:
>Not meaning to change the original question of this thread, but the
>Subject is the same.
>What about distributing a font that I want to use with my app that was
>installed by another app (such as WordPerfect, MS Word, etc.)?
>Thanks
>Robert Jones
>SK Computer Solutions
>Internet:

>Fido-Net:
> Robert Jones
> 1:213/742

illegal.

Thu, 16 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. GDI - Text Bounding Box - True Type Fonts

2. Accessing special characters in True Type fonts

3. Installing True Type Fonts

4. How to install True Type Fonts In Win 3.1 with VB3

5. HOW CAN I VIEW A FONT FILE (TRUE TYPE)

6. DOS FONTS TO TRUE TYPE

7. Can't print symbol true type fonts.

8. How to view/print fonts true type?

9. Printing aligned columns with True Type fonts, how?

10. VIEW A TTF FILE (True Type Font) with VB 3/4/5

11. Problem with printing true-type fonts with VB4.0

12. Rotated True Type Fonts