OLE: Excel worksheet without using Excel
Author Message
 OLE: Excel worksheet without using Excel

Does Anyone know if this is possible?

I wish to write a simple VB program that uses an Excel spreadsheet
but, I want to copy this program onto workstations that do not have
Excel.  Is it possible for these workstations to update the
spreadsheet within the program without having Excel on their machines?

Thanks in Advance

Marc Gordon

Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OLE: Excel worksheet without using Excel

Hi Brian

The easiest way is to use the Jet engine that ships with all versions of
vb3 upwards.  You can use the spreasheet as a datasource and even bind
controls to it.

You could also use:
i)      DAO - Faster but pro & enterprise only
ii)     RDO using the Excel ODBC driver shipped gratis by MS
iii)    ADO using the Excel ODBC driver and the ADO driver shipped with NT4
iv)     API using the Excel ODBC driver

All of which are reportedly faster than the Jet engine.

Take your pick!

Alban

Quote:

> Does Anyone know if this is possible?

> I wish to write a simple VB program that uses an Excel spreadsheet
> but, I want to copy this program onto workstations that do not have
> Excel.  Is it possible for these workstations to update the
> spreadsheet within the program without having Excel on their machines?

> Thanks in Advance

> Marc Gordon

Fri, 21 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How can I open Excel workbook without using Excel.Worksheet

2. Worksheet delete using Excel as OLE server

3. Saving an Excel file without using Excel

4. Saving an Excel file without using Excel

5. Using an Excel file without having Microsoft Excel installed

6. Using Excel object without installing Excel?

7. Saving Excel Worksheet in DB as OLE Object

8. OLE Access Excel (Datenimport von Excel in Access - muss nicht OLE sein)

9. Excel Worksheet Via OLE - Problem

10. Problem sizing Excel worksheet in OLE Container on VB form

11. OLE linking with Excel worksheet - HELP

12. OLE Automation with Excel Worksheet Insertable Objects