Which is the best language to learn?
Author Message
 Which is the best language to learn?

I would like to learn how to program! However, I'm not sure the best
way to start. These are some questions that I have concerning my new
career.

1. I have been involved with computers for several years, working with
an assortment of packages from search engines like Folio Views 3.1 to
building home pages with HTML. I realize that this does not much, but
I have to start somewhere. So the question is this: If you were
starting to learn how to program, would you start off learning C++,
Visual Basic or what?. I am also very interested in learning to
program for the Internet. Will these help or should I s{*filter*}these and
try to learn Peal first?

2. Is programing something that can be learned from a book, or is this
something I will need to take classes in for a couple of years.

3. What are some good resources for learning this programing -
Community Colleges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael A. Ward

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which is the best language to learn?

Quote:

>Subject: Which is the best language to learn?
>Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 17:26:35 GMT
>I would like to learn how to program! However, I'm not sure the best
>way to start. These are some questions that I have concerning my new
>career.
>1. I have been involved with computers for several years, working with
>an assortment of packages from search engines like Folio Views 3.1 to
>building home pages with HTML. I realize that this does not much, but
>I have to start somewhere. So the question is this: If you were
>starting to learn how to program, would you start off learning C++,
>Visual Basic or what?. I am also very interested in learning to
>program for the Internet. Will these help or should I s{*filter*}these and
>try to learn Peal first?

If you want to learn to program well, I would start with C or C++.  If you
want to learn to program quickly, I would learn VB.  C/C++ is a more
structured language.  You might want to learn the C++ over the C since objects
are really taking over programming.  VB and C/C++ will allow you to do all
kinds of Internet programming.  PERL is only for scripting, where as VB and
C/C++ may be used for various applications.

Quote:
>2. Is programing something that can be learned from a book, or is this
>something I will need to take classes in for a couple of years.

I would take two courses ( level one, level two ) in what ever you are
learning.  This will help you to get a better foundation.  The real learning
will only come through lots and lots of coding and lots of mistakes.

Quote:
>3. What are some good resources for learning this programing -
>Community Colleges?

Community colleges, universities, anything like that.  Read books on the
language you are trying to learn.  One advantage of pc programming languages
is that many third party books are available on the various languages.

Hope this helps.

John M. Berg

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which is the best language to learn?

Quote:

>I would like to learn how to program! However, I'm not sure the best
>way to start. These are some questions that I have concerning my new
>career.

>1. I have been involved with computers for several years, working with
>an assortment of packages from search engines like Folio Views 3.1 to
>building home pages with HTML. I realise that this does not much, but
>I have to start somewhere. So the question is this: If you were
>starting to learn how to program, would you start off learning C++,
>Visual Basic or what?. I am also very interested in learning to
>program for the Internet. Will these help or should I s{*filter*}these and
>try to learn Peal first?

>2. Is programing something that can be learned from a book, or is this
>something I will need to take classes in for a couple of years.

>3. What are some good resources for learning this programing -
>Community Colleges?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,

>Michael A. Ward

I would recommend that you check out Java. Although it is very young
it seems that Sun, the language developers, are getting it right.  The
syntax is easy for C++ programmers to change to and it eliminates
those features of C++ which make C++ so difficult to learn and prone
to error. It has been designed to be portable to the extent that the
latest beta of Netscape for several hardware/software platforms can
execute a Java program which resides on a remote machine.  Although it
is currently being used to replace Perl scripts as an "Internet
language" it seems like an ideal teaching language. This, together
with Sun's liberal licensing policy, should ensure it's academic
success.  Microsoft has announced that they are negotiating a license
and other companies are enthusiastic in the hope that it's platform
independence will allow them to compete with Microsoft. An Overview
and an 80 page White Paper are available from
www.blackdown.org:/pub/Java/docs.  A free (not shareware!) beta
version of the language is available there for Windows 95 and various
Unix flavours. The bad news is that there is no Windows 3.x version
and that most of the books describing the language refer to a
superseded version. The "definitive" books from Sun are not due till
March 1996.

Profectus Pty Ltd                 Compuserve: 100241,1211
25 Myrtle Road                    Telephone: +61 3 9830 5026
Canterbury, VIC, 3126 AUSTRALIA         Fax: +61 3 9830 0959

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which is the best language to learn?

Quote:

>I have to start somewhere. So the question is this: If you were
>starting to learn how to program, would you start off learning C++,
>Visual Basic or what?. I am also very interested in learning to
>program for the Internet. Will these help or should I s{*filter*}these and
>try to learn Peal first?

  Some kind of UNIX script programming might be a good idea if you
want to work exclusively with the internet.
  BASIC is very easy to learn.  I started off with BASIC, learned
Pascal in about three days, then OOP in Pascal, now am starting on C++
and will probably be competent in about a month or two.

Quote:
>2. Is programing something that can be learned from a book, or is this
>something I will need to take classes in for a couple of years.

  Programming is something you learn by experience.  Learning from a
book only works if you tear apart the code and really learn why it
works.  I learned QuickBASIC using the online help examples.  It took
a while, but I wasn't in any hurry.

Quote:
>3. What are some good resources for learning this programing -
>Community Colleges?

  I've found that computer science has little to do with programming.
Learn on your own, or go to specialized classes for programming- not
computer science classes.  Most programming aren't immediately
concerned with issues that a computer scientist faces.

Tim

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am looking for the best book for learning VB.

2. Which is the best language to learn?

3. Which is the best language to learn?

4. Wondering if VB is a good language to learn

5. best language to learn directX

6. Is VB a good language to learn?

8. Best learning strategy for learning web database prog.

9. Wan'a learn another programing language.

10. trying to pick my frist language to learn

11. Learning new language

12. Learning new language