Visual Basic IRC channel?
Author Message
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Greetings all,
        A while ago I saw a posting regarding a IRC channel for
Visual Basic. Does anyone have more info on this ?
Many thanks,
Matthew.

Wed, 06 Aug 1997 19:00:41 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:
>A while ago I saw a posting regarding a IRC channel for
>Visual Basic. Does anyone have more info on this ?

Matthew, on Friday, 2/10, there was an IRC discussion held on VB.  The channel
was #VBTALK.  It was held between 7 and 8 p.m. US Central time.  It was a small
group, but we had some very interesting discussions on OLE, OCX, client/server,
etc.  It was the first time I had ever used IRC.  Interesting experience.

I don't know of any ongoing IRC channels dedicated to VB.
--

Systems Analyst         WWW:    http://www.phoenix.net/USERS/getj

Fri, 08 Aug 1997 10:33:34 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>>A while ago I saw a posting regarding a IRC channel for
>>Visual Basic. Does anyone have more info on this ?

>Matthew, on Friday, 2/10, there was an IRC discussion held on VB.  The channel
>was #VBTALK.  It was held between 7 and 8 p.m. US Central time.  It was a small
>group, but we had some very interesting discussions on OLE, OCX, client/server,
>etc.  It was the first time I had ever used IRC.  Interesting experience.

>I don't know of any ongoing IRC channels dedicated to VB.

I have uploaded the trascript to ftp.apexsc.com, it is in the
/pub/cgvb/uploads directory file:  irc_001.zip.  It contains the
trans, in a help file PLUS a PRIMER ON USING TH INTERNET RELAY
CHAT (IRC),

Mr. Wisniewski said there would be a link to it in there VB page.

"Request VB talk IRC #1" in the SUBJECT line.

| Legend Software            | 515-478-7458               |
| Moderator, VB talk IRC     | Box 262, Zearing, IA 50278 |
 Remember...
 A GPF is a SPECIAL application feature...NOT a bug!

Fri, 08 Aug 1997 21:13:44 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>I have uploaded the trascript to ftp.apexsc.com, it is in the
>/pub/cgvb/uploads directory file:  irc_001.zip.  It contains the
>trans, in a help file PLUS a PRIMER ON USING TH INTERNET RELAY
>CHAT (IRC),

Ryan, thanks again for your efforts here.

For those curious about IRC, you can get a decent freeware/shareware client here:

cs-ftp.bu.edu/irc/clients/pc/windows/wsirc14e.zip

The online help also shows the various commands available.
--

Systems Analyst         WWW:    http://www.phoenix.net/USERS/getj

Sat, 09 Aug 1997 11:46:06 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>I have uploaded the trascript to ftp.apexsc.com, it is in the
>/pub/cgvb/uploads directory file:  irc_001.zip.  It contains the
>trans, in a help file PLUS a PRIMER ON USING TH INTERNET RELAY
>CHAT (IRC),

Has anyone else had trouble with this file?  I downloaded it today
but was unable to unzip it (yes, I used binary mode:)

Jason
Jason Simmons               Author of VBScript - a scripting language

                (ftp.cica.indiana.edu : programr/vbasic/vbscript.zip)

Mon, 11 Aug 1997 01:12:56 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

JS>writes: >I have uploaded the trascript to ftp.apexsc.com, it is in
JS>the >/pub/cgvb/uploads directory file:  irc_001.zip.  It contains the
JS>>trans, in a help file PLUS a PRIMER ON USING TH INTERNET RELAY
JS>>CHAT (IRC),

JS>Has anyone else had trouble with this file?  I downloaded it today
JS>but was unable to unzip it (yes, I used binary mode:)

Perhaps the person who uploaded didn't.

Ian C.    CIS: 100435,3040   Tel/Fax: (+44)(0)1909-773689
---
 * POW 1.2  0028 * Error in Alaska; problem in FLOW CONTROL -EXXon\EXXoff.

Tue, 12 Aug 1997 00:30:00 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>>I have uploaded the trascript to ftp.apexsc.com, it is in the
>>/pub/cgvb/uploads directory file:  irc_001.zip.  It contains the
>>trans, in a help file PLUS a PRIMER ON USING TH INTERNET RELAY
>>CHAT (IRC),

>Has anyone else had trouble with this file?  I downloaded it today
>but was unable to unzip it (yes, I used binary mode.)

What version of PKUNZIP are you using.  I used PKZIP 2.04g
to archive the files.  So try using PKUNZIP 2.04g or later
to extract the files,

If the problem continues, I will re-upload it.

| Legend Software            | 515-478-7458               |
| Moderator, VB talk IRC     | Box 262, Zearing, IA 50278 |
 Remember...
 A GPF is a SPECIAL application feature...NOT a bug!

Tue, 12 Aug 1997 07:39:48 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>What version of PKUNZIP are you using.  I used PKZIP 2.04g
>to archive the files.  So try using PKUNZIP 2.04g or later
>to extract the files,

>If the problem continues, I will re-upload it.

I tried it with PKUNZIP 2.04g and Info-ZIP unzip 5.0.  Neither
one extracted it correctly.

Jason Simmons               Author of VBScript - a scripting language

                (ftp.cica.indiana.edu : programr/vbasic/vbscript.zip)

Wed, 13 Aug 1997 01:25:13 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>>What version of PKUNZIP are you using.  I used PKZIP 2.04g
>>to archive the files.  So try using PKUNZIP 2.04g or later
>>to extract the files,

>>If the problem continues, I will re-upload it.

>I tried it with PKUNZIP 2.04g and Info-ZIP unzip 5.0.  Neither
>one extracted it correctly.

I have found the problem.  It's not that I used ASCII mode to
upload the file, it has something to do with how I uploaded
the file to my host computer (I have dial-up access, no direct
connection).  I need some sort of conversion program, and am
waiting for a reply from INS (Iowa Netword Services) Tech
Support so I can do this.  Here's the funny thing - through
out the process, my PC -> Hose System -> ftp.apexsc.com the
file size has remained the same.

I'll get the mess figured out, and post when the new file
is ready.

BTW, does anybody know where I could get an UUCODE utility
for DOS or Windows.  I am thinking if I UUCODE the file,
then upload to my host, and then UUUNCODE it there, it may
aviod the whole process of converting the zip file.

Sorry for any troubles my faulty zip file has caused.
IF you want the text version, send me mail wiht "Request
VB talk #1" in the subject line.

| Legend Software            | 515-478-7458               |
| Moderator, VB talk IRC     | Box 262, Zearing, IA 50278 |
 Remember...
 A GPF is a SPECIAL application feature...NOT a bug!

Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:39:15 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>BTW, does anybody know where I could get an UUCODE utility
>for DOS or Windows.  I am thinking if I UUCODE the file,
>then upload to my host, and then UUUNCODE it there, it may
>aviod the whole process of converting the zip file.

DOS - look in the starter or decode directories on oak.oakland.edu

Windows - ftp.cica.indiana.edu : win3/util/uucode20.zip or
win3/util/wincode.zip

Jason Simmons               Author of VBScript - a scripting language

                (ftp.cica.indiana.edu : programr/vbasic/vbscript.zip)

Fri, 15 Aug 1997 00:18:23 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>JS>writes: >I have uploaded the trascript to ftp.apexsc.com, it is in
>JS>the >/pub/cgvb/uploads directory file:  irc_001.zip.  It contains the
>JS>Has anyone else had trouble with this file?  I downloaded it today
>JS>but was unable to unzip it (yes, I used binary mode:)
>Perhaps the person who uploaded didn't.

It looks like the file was uploaded in text mode, not binary mode.
I'll contact rheldt and assure that he puts a new one out there.
I'll delete the current one so nobody gets the wrong one.
--
Gary Wisniewski

Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:29:17 GMT
 Visual Basic IRC channel?

Quote:

>It looks like the file was uploaded in text mode, not binary mode.
>I'll contact rheldt and assure that he puts a new one out there.
>I'll delete the current one so nobody gets the wrong one.

This problem has been fixed.  The proper IRC file is now in
        ftp://ftp.apexsc.com/pub/cgvb/uploads

It will be moved to another directory (where it will stay) in
a few days.
--
Gary Wisniewski

Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:37:25 GMT

1. Dedicated IRC channel to Visual Basic

2. QBasic/QuickBasic IRC channel

3. ---IRC CHANNEL---

4. New Channel on IRC (#c)

5. QBasic/QuickBasic IRC channel

6. QBasic/QuickBasic IRC Channel : Update

7. hot new IRC channel

8. IRC Channel for VB programmers?

9. IRC Channel NOW open!

10. New Channel on IRC (#c)