Finding functions in DLL's..
Author Message
 Finding functions in DLL's..

I've been taking some classes on VB5 (and regretably..) my teachers mention
using DLLs to get functions and such like to be called from VB.

Here's the problem..  How do I know what's in the DLL's that I could use?
If VB can open DLLs to use, surely it can let us get a peek at what's being
called and what the proper syntaxes are..

I've been trying to program a poker game for my brother-in-law before his
family moves, and there's this CARDS.DLL, which a textbook mentioned at
school, only the damn text book doesn't mention where, when and how I could
collect needed functions and other calls from these DLL's..

Any suggestions or tips?

Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Finding functions in DLL's..

Under NT 4.0 Explorer, you can right-click on a file and look at it with "Quick
View" (Under DOS, use the debug command).  This will show you the names of
functions that are exported from that dll or exe.  Unfortunately, you have no
way of knowing the parameters the are required or what return values you'll
get.  To get this type of information, I think you have to look at the C
declaration for the function (does anyone know of any other way????)  For the
Windows dll's and exe's, this information is available from Microsoft as part
of a subscription to the Microsoft Developer's Network (MSDN), but I don't know
what all is covered or how many VB declarations are included.  If you want to
use files supplied by some other vendor, you'd have to contact them for a copy
of the API calls.  A good source for the most common Windows API functions are
in Daniel Appleman's "Visual Basic Programmers Guide to the Win32 API".
Excellent book even for beginners like me!!!!
cdf

Quote:

> I've been taking some classes on VB5 (and regretably..) my teachers mention
> using DLLs to get functions and such like to be called from VB.

> Here's the problem..  How do I know what's in the DLL's that I could use?
> If VB can open DLLs to use, surely it can let us get a peek at what's being
> called and what the proper syntaxes are..

> I've been trying to program a poker game for my brother-in-law before his
> family moves, and there's this CARDS.DLL, which a textbook mentioned at
> school, only the damn text book doesn't mention where, when and how I could
> collect needed functions and other calls from these DLL's..

> Any suggestions or tips?

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Finding functions in DLL's..

Quote:

> I've been taking some classes on VB5 (and regretably..) my teachers mention
> using DLLs to get functions and such like to be called from VB.

> Here's the problem..  How do I know what's in the DLL's that I could use?
> If VB can open DLLs to use, surely it can let us get a peek at what's being
> called and what the proper syntaxes are..

> I've been trying to program a poker game for my brother-in-law before his
> family moves, and there's this CARDS.DLL, which a textbook mentioned at
> school, only the damn text book doesn't mention where, when and how I could
> collect needed functions and other calls from these DLL's..

> Any suggestions or tips?

 VC++5  has an .exe called dumpbin.  Run this on any DLL and you get not only
function names and parameters but also MANGLED names which may need to be
aliased if you want to gain access to DLL entry points.

Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Finding functions inside DLL's?

2. VB5 DLL function / Can't find DLL entry point

3. DLL -Can't find Functions

4. Find function in dll;Trouver une fonction dans une dll

5. error 'can't find *.dll'

6. dll creation problem: can't find dll entry point

7. can't find PDBDAO.DLL, PDIRDAO.DLL

8. VB5 DLL Error - Can't Find Entry Point in ...dll

9. dll creation problem: can't find dll entry point

10. VB5 DLL Error - Can't Find Entry Point in ...dll

11. Can't find DLL entry point OpenEventLog in advapi32.dll

12. Can't find DLL entry point NetGetDCName in netapi32.dll