Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro
Author Message
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

We're considering to buy either Visual Basic 4.0 or Visual FoxPro 3.0 for
Windows 3.x development. ( In the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998
we'll be upgrading to 32-bits development! )

We've tested both products, but there's one thing we don't know for sure:

What is Microsoft up to in the future with Visual FoxPro ? If we go to a
bookstore, we find tons of books about VBasic and only 3 or 4 books about
VFoxPro !!!!

Can anyone tell us why we should or shouldn't buy VFoxPro instead of VBasic
??

Thanx,

Octavie van Haaften
ZAO Zorgverzekeringen.

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

We're considering to buy either Visual Basic 4.0 or Visual FoxPro 3.0 for
Windows 3.x development. ( In the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998
we'll be upgrading to 32-bits development! )

We've tested both products, but there's one thing we don't know for sure:

What is Microsoft up to in the future with Visual FoxPro ? If we go to a
bookstore, we find tons of books about VBasic and only 3 or 4 books about
VFoxPro !!!!

Can anyone tell us why we should or shouldn't buy VFoxPro instead of VBasic
??

Thanx,

Octavie van Haaften
ZAO Zorgverzekeringen.

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Deciding which to buy depends alot on what you will be doing.  If all you
are planning to do is to design programs that are front-ends for databases
based on dBase, Fox pro might be the product you want.  However, if you
want a tool that can do this (though not as easily or straightforwardly) as
well as non-database programs, then vb might be the right tool.

My impression of where foxpro is going is limited because I have never used
it.  However, from an Access/SQL Server point of view i can see foxpro
fading in importance to a product that MS supports aonly so long as there
is demand, with little if any work on new versions beyond 5.0.  This may
not be true, but my impression is that MS bought foxpro for two reasons,
first was to capture an existing share of technology and ensure that a
dbase based database would get to Windows quickly and well since borland
was not getting there at all.  The second was to migrate the technology to
their other database products. the "Rushmore" query technology went
straight to Access almost as soon as the deal was closed, and is now shared
between the two products.

Anyhow, FoxPro, like Access has controls and forms that are inherently
data-aware, whereas in vb you have to add things like a data control to
make the form data aware.  It's a small difference, but a noticeable one.

Hope these assorted ramblings helped.

Peter Stambaugh

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

In San Francisco California we had a FoxPro users group that typically
attracted 50 to 80 users per month. It is now barely surviving. I
programmed in dBase II, III, Clipper, FoxBase, FoxPro and have now switched
to VB almost 3 years ago. Why? Because that is where the work is! I stuck
with FoxPro after the merger with MS as long as I could. MS kept saying
that they were committed to Fox but in the end did things that destroyed
its market share. A good percentage of the developers that I knew that
developed in xBase are now in VB.

If I were to start development now I would go with VB 5.0. Knowing that the
project would not roll out untill your conversion to 32 bit. Developing
16/32 bit apps is a fair amount of work. There would be no justification to
do this if you are phasing 16 bit out. If your supervisors complaine get
them to put into writing that they authorize a minimum of 30% more
expenditure to do the 16 bit work and knowing that that work will have to
be ripped out when you are totally 32 bit.

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

If your programmers are already skilled XBase programmers, you may want to go
with VFP -- although I suspect that M$ will eventually drop it.

I have experience with both -- IMHO you will be better off with VB PLUS Access.
Why both? Well, VB is a lot more flexible than VFP, but it is far easier to
build your intital database in Access than in VB

If you are looking at enterprise development, VB5-Ent has capabilities that are
not in VFP and probably never will be. .

  >We're considering to buy either Visual Basic 4.0 or Visual FoxPro 3.0 for
  >Windows 3.x development. ( In the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998
  >we'll be upgrading to 32-bits development! )
  >
  >We've tested both products, but there's one thing we don't know for sure:
  >
  >What is Microsoft up to in the future with Visual FoxPro ? If we go to a
  >bookstore, we find tons of books about VBasic and only 3 or 4 books about
  >VFoxPro !!!!
  >
  >Can anyone tell us why we should or shouldn't buy VFoxPro instead of VBasic
  >??
  >
  >Thanx,
  >
  >Octavie van Haaften
  >ZAO Zorgverzekeringen.

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

I recently wrote a program in Visual FoxPro and all I have to say is

        DO NOT USE FOXPRO

Visual basic is infinitely easier to use, has better support, is faster,
easier to write, and most importantly it is easier to find programmers.

There is only one reason to use forpro (the reason i used it):

        Foxpro is source compatible on Mac

Now it is incredibly slow but it runs.

I plead with you for your developers sake use VB. with a jet database.

Dain Sundstrom
Software Engineer
Abaton.com, Inc.

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Quote:
> If your programmers are already skilled XBase programmers, you may want
to go
> with VFP -- although I suspect that M$ will eventually drop it.

> I have experience with both -- IMHO you will be better off with VB PLUS
Access.
> Why both? Well, VB is a lot more flexible than VFP, but it is far easier
> build your intital database in Access than in VB

> If you are looking at enterprise development, VB5-Ent has capabilities
that are
> not in VFP and probably never will be. .

>   >We're considering to buy either Visual Basic 4.0 or Visual FoxPro 3.0
for
>   >Windows 3.x development. ( In the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998
>   >we'll be upgrading to 32-bits development! )

>   >We've tested both products, but there's one thing we don't know for
sure:

>   >What is Microsoft up to in the future with Visual FoxPro ? If we go to
>   >bookstore, we find tons of books about VBasic and only 3 or 4 books
about
>   >VFoxPro !!!!

>   >Can anyone tell us why we should or shouldn't buy VFoxPro instead of
VBasic
>   >??

>   >Thanx,

>   >Octavie van Haaften
>   >ZAO Zorgverzekeringen.

There are many extensions for VB such as VBX's and OCX's, I haven't seen
many for VFP.

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Quote:

> There are many extensions for VB such as VBX's and OCX's, I haven't seen
> many for VFP.

Visual FoxPro 5 supports OCX controls.

Bill House
--

http://www.dazsi.com

Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Quote:
>I recently wrote a program in Visual FoxPro and all I have to say is

>        DO NOT USE FOXPRO

Ok, so you wrote one program in FoxPro, and now you're a genius.  Wow, let
us bow at your feet.

Quote:
>Visual basic is infinitely easier to use, has better support, is faster,

- Baby food is easier to eat than steak.  Does that mean we should all eat
baby food?
- Is faster?  On which planet did you take these tests?

Quote:
>easier to write, and most importantly it is easier to find programmers.

1) It is easier to find someone with an IQ of 100 than with an IQ of 130.
Does this mean that people with IQ's of 100 or better?

Quote:
>I plead with you for your developers sake use VB. with a jet database.

Let me quote, directly from Microsoft, regarding the use of a Jet database:

...We recommend that Microsoft Access be used solely for development
purposes and not for production. Microsoft Access was designed as a
single-user desktop database, and not for server use. When multiple,
concurrent users make requests of a Microsoft Access database,
unpredictable results may occur.

Ok, now let me make some points about Visual FoxPro:

1) Visual FoxPro is a *true* object-oriented system.  Visual Basic is
*not*.
2) Visual FoxPro is the only development langauage that Microsoft has that
has a data-centric language.
3) Visual FoxPro can use every OCX that Visual Basic can use.

Quote:
>Dain Sundstrom
>Software Engineer
>Abaton.com, Inc.

I hope your clients aren't listening.

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Quote:

> Ok, now let me make some points about Visual FoxPro:

> 1) Visual FoxPro is a *true* object-oriented system.  Visual Basic is
> *not*.

VB is not? Since when? Do you use VB?

Quote:
> 2) Visual FoxPro is the only development langauage that Microsoft has that
> has a data-centric language.

If you want to talk to DBF files, it's probably reasonable, although
fairly inflexible in terms of allowing the developer to deal directly
with the controls. I'll admit, I haven't used the development
environment in a few years, but this is certainly not a leading edge
Microsoft product. Do the advertise it?

Data awareness is not necessarily a benefit. For the most part, data
awareness means that the tool controls the development, rather than the
developer. This means that the developer can do little to speed up the
application, in the long run.

With VB, because it is open and flexible, it is much easier to revert to
code, which is infinitely faster than most datacontrols. I liked
datacontrols when I started, because they seemed to be easier to work
with. Then I found out what kind of overhead they generated and I got
rid of them.

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

: > 1) Visual FoxPro is a *true* object-oriented system.  Visual Basic is
: > *not*.

: VB is not? Since when? Do you use VB?

VB is object-like but it isn't true OOP.  Anyone who's used Pascal with
objects or C++ knows this.  And yes, I use VB.  But really, this doesn't
particularly matter, I never found true OOP to be really useful anyway. :)

--

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~behrensm/          | adverti{*filter*}ts sent to these

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~zigg/              | fee, pursuant to US Code Title
 Custom PC's - Consulting - Web Design    | 47, Sec. 227(b)(3)(C).

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Matt -
        One quick question, does that silly little "NOTICE:" warning really
scare anyone off?  If so, maybe I'll try it too.

Bob

Quote:

> : > 1) Visual FoxPro is a *true* object-oriented system.  Visual Basic is
> : > *not*.

> : VB is not? Since when? Do you use VB?

> VB is object-like but it isn't true OOP.  Anyone who's used Pascal with
> objects or C++ knows this.  And yes, I use VB.  But really, this doesn't
> particularly matter, I never found true OOP to be really useful anyway. :)

> --

>   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~behrensm/          | adverti{*filter*}ts sent to these

>   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~zigg/              | fee, pursuant to US Code Title
>  Custom PC's - Consulting - Web Design    | 47, Sec. 227(b)(3)(C).

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

: Matt -
:       One quick question, does that silly little "NOTICE:" warning really
: scare anyone off?  If so, maybe I'll try it too.

: Bob

Not usually, sadly. :(  Most e-mailers have automatic Usenet scanners that
will never even see it.  However, it's fun to ttry to claim $500 from the
little...*cough* :)

--

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~behrensm/          | adverti{*filter*}ts sent to these

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~zigg/              | fee, pursuant to US Code Title
 Custom PC's - Consulting - Web Design    | 47, Sec. 227(b)(3)(C).

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

Quote:

>[snip]
> VB is object oriented, at least VB5 is, and VB4 was a very good attempt.

Delegation is not inheritance. Therefore, VB5 is not yet a full-fledged OOPL. The
reason is that public inheritance is supposed to enforce substituteability in the
derived class. Delegation, like function libraries, is purely for code reuse.

Inheritance extends existing abtractions by implementing the IS-A relationship, which
has the side-effect of code reuse. However, inheritance carries the extra constraint of
substituteability. This is a very important (even a key) feature of supporting OOP.

Don't worry -- we'll probably see real inheritance in a future version of VB5. If it's
anything like I've heard, it will be _way_ cleaner than delegation.

BTW, comparing VB5 to C++ while extolling its virtues is a waste of time. To get a real
taste of how a language measures up as an OOPL, compare it to CLOS or Eiffel. Nobody
complains about their object models. <g>

Bill House
--
http://www.dazsi.com
Note: my e-mail address has been altered to

Tue, 26 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

2. visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

3. visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

4. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

5. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

6. Visual Basic vs. Visual Foxpro

7. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

8. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

9. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

10. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

11. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

12. Visual Baisc vs Visual Foxpro