VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver
Author Message
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

Hi,

Has anyone successfully developed a windows application which makes
use of the InterSolv Informix ODBC Driver.  If so I would apprecaite
some comments as to how realiable the drivers was and what problems
you may have encountered.  My primary interest is for a Visual Basic
application but any comments about the driver will help.

Please either repost to these news groups or email me on

TIA
Chris

| --> It's life Jim but no as we know it.
| Mail sent via Demon Internet - Full IP for 10/Month Tel:0181 371 1234

Wed, 04 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver
I have used VB with Q+E INFORMIX 5.0. Have not found any problems
but I have not found any ODBC driver to be particularly fast.
I have written simple add-on apps, but wouldn't recommend it for
industrial strength apps!

Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

Quote:
> I have used VB with Q+E INFORMIX 5.0. Have not found any problems
> but I have not found any ODBC driver to be particularly fast.
> I have written simple add-on apps, but wouldn't recommend it for
> industrial strength apps!

I have also used VB with Q+E Informix 5.0 but for non-trivial applications.
They were all for banks in the UK and Scandinavia and operated over LANs or
WANs.  Speed is an issue if you attempt to fetch large numbers of records but
executing SQL statements on the server is obviously as fast as if they were
executed locally.  One system is now 40% through its take-up of 3.5 million
rows and could perhaps qualify as a real app?

NB there is a serious bug getting BLOBs > 64K that Intersolv tech support
in the UK have ignored since Feb95 - anyone else had poblems with BLOBs?
(Not the 1950s B-movie kind.)

--
Steve Lewis, Smartware Ltd., UK

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

Quote:

>Hi,

>Has anyone successfully developed a windows application which makes
>use of the InterSolv Informix ODBC Driver.  If so I would apprecaite
>some comments as to how realiable the drivers was and what problems
>you may have encountered.  My primary interest is for a Visual Basic
>application but any comments about the driver will help.

>Please either repost to these news groups or email me on

I've had no problems as long as everything I needed to do could be
passed through as an SQL statement through the CreateDynaset method
(and using Intersolv's ODBC).

In other words, I can't damn well figure out how to update BLOBS.  I
can READ them successfully, but I can't put data back into them.

Anyone else have any other experience?

Will Johnson.
--
Copyright (C) 1995 by:  | http://www.access.digex.net/~adric

1255 Knoll Mist Lane,   | Maryland/Delaware A Capella Society Representative
Gaithersburg, MD  20879 | MD/DE CASA Home Page: See above Plus ~adric/casa.html

Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

Quote:

>>Hi,

>>Has anyone successfully developed a windows application which makes
>>use of the InterSolv Informix ODBC Driver.  If so I would apprecaite
>>some comments as to how realiable the drivers was and what problems
>>you may have encountered.  My primary interest is for a Visual Basic
>>application but any comments about the driver will help.

>>Please either repost to these news groups or email me on

I had problems with registering the database.  It did not seem to
update the ODBC.INI file.  Intersolv eventually sent me an updated
driver.  It does not seem to very quick.  I have had problems using
the UPPER (there isn't one) on an Informix database although that is a
database problem and not a driver problem.  Ensure you use
DB_SQLPASSTHROUGH as Informix handles SQL statements different to VB.

Dean Hobbs

Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

Quote:
>I've had no problems as long as everything I needed to do could be
>passed through as an SQL statement through the CreateDynaset method
>(and using Intersolv's ODBC).
>In other words, I can't damn well figure out how to update BLOBS.  I
>can READ them successfully, but I can't put data back into them.
>Anyone else have any other experience?

Yeah, their sybase drivers are rilly tuff man.. I THOUGHT they were
broken for a long time, but MSACCESS manages to write long chars to
it... I'm not sure what it's doing tho... I'm finding myself wishing
Intersolv would test their driver with MFC, or provide some sort of
docs on MFC, or mebby a custom rfx routine...

In the meantime, I switched over to the OpenLink drivers (they really
kick {*filter*}on intersolv... ) They dont require any dblib interpreters
on your local pc for any of the DBs they run under... you just install
one interpreter on the DB server... Alot faster too :)

Dan

Wed, 15 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

Quote:

>In the meantime, I switched over to the OpenLink drivers (they really
>kick {*filter*}on intersolv... ) They dont require any dblib interpreters
>on your local pc for any of the DBs they run under... you just install
>one interpreter on the DB server... Alot faster too :)

We've had the same experience, the OpenLink drivers wipe the floor
with the Intersolv Driver/Client Lib solution. It was a real relief to
be able to remove all the code-arounds that we'd had tyo do for the
Intersolv drivers. Another valuable bonus with OpenLink is that their
Tech support actually understand the issues that you call them about,
unlike Intersolv's staff who seem to have only one response to any
problems - "It must be the database vendors fault"

ChrisD
Opinions all my own etc etc ...

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

2. VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

3. QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application

4. QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application

5. Connect Informix database thru ODBC driver using Visual Basic

6. Page Fault error accessing Informix tables using Intersolv ODBC Driver

7. Informix ODBC Drivers

8. ODBC driver to Trim Informix SE Char Fields

9. informix ODBC driver for I-Connect cannot support the RDO

10. Q: Is there an usable ODBC driver for Informix 5

11. ODBC driver to Trim Informix SE Char Fields

12. ODBC Drivers for Informix?