Using 256 color Palettes in High/True Color
Author Message
 Using 256 color Palettes in High/True Color

Greetings:
I'm converting a Dos based (QB4.5) draw/paint program into
Visual Basic code. I'm currently trying to wade through
how best to use color palettes under Windows 95 and above.
A sample program I have demonstrating use of palette animation
will not work when my display is in high or true color mode--it
says my card does not support palettes. However, when I put my
display in 256 color depth, the program works.

I would like to avoid having a user have to change their display
settings and reboot in order to run my program. Is there any way
around this? (I don't quite understand why 256 color palettes cannot
be used in high color modes-what happens to the logical palette?)

I've heard that the DirectDraw component of DirectX offers a
256 color palette display surface in exclusive mode. Would this
be my alternative or does this apply only to 256 color depths also?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks and kindest regards, Bob

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. choose a color in a 256 color palette ?

2. Change Screen Color Palette from 256 to hi-color in VB

3. Bitmap Color Palette editing-VB4 16 bit 256 color

4. Coloring a control from a 256-Color palette

5. Coloring a control from a 256-Color palette

6. color palette not accessible in 256+ color settings

7. Bitmap Color Palette editing-VB4 16 bit 256 color

8. How to change True color pixel to 256 color pixel, @Thanks

9. Q: using and changing the 256 color palette...

10. 256 Color Palette

11. halftone palette/256 colors

12. Custom 256-color palettes - how??