Cartoon Balloons ?
Author Message
 Cartoon Balloons ?

By the way... most demos of software and help files are done in Director.
(it's awesome for animations).

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Cartoon Balloons ?
I know not of a way to do this in Basic as I am very new to it.  But... I do
know of a wonderful app out there that would do what you wanted and more...
Macromedia Director...  It is alot like Basic in the way it works... only it
is Multimedia.  (it's what Shockwave is created in)
Macromedia has fully fuctional demo versons available... Give it a try.

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Cartoon Balloons ?
I need to create a demo version of some software that I write. I would
like to use "balloons" like one sees in cartoons to point to and
explain various aspects of the screen displays. I would "pop up" and
hide these balloons as the user mouses around the screen. (Microsoft
Word and Excell have this kind of thing in them.) From my view point
these would be simply fancy text boxes.

Does anyone know of a control (activex, whatever) that provides this
kind of functionality? That is, a round/oval/cloud shape, with a text
property, a transparent background, and a pointer that I can drop into
my program?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Cartoon Balloons ?

Quote:
>I need to create a demo version of some software that I write. I would
>like to use "balloons" like one sees in cartoons to point to and
>explain various aspects of the screen displays. I would "pop up" and
>hide these balloons as the user mouses around the screen. (Microsoft
>Word and Excell have this kind of thing in them.) From my view point
>these would be simply fancy text boxes.

>Does anyone know of a control (activex, whatever) that provides this
>kind of functionality? That is, a round/oval/cloud shape, with a text
>property, a transparent background, and a pointer that I can drop into
>my program?

When I purchased ButtonMaker from FarPoint Technologies (I think they call it
ButtonOCX now) to make fancy buttons, they included a Balloon control, which
does almost exactly what you want, except for the transparent background.  You
set a property which attaches them to another control on the form and they pop
up when the mouse passes over the attached control, like a fancy tooltip.
They're cute, but I never used them in a commercial app.  They might be cool
for a demo, though.  ButtonOCX costs about $50 or $60 US.

Lee Weiner
weiner AT fuse DOT net
http://home.fuse.net/lweiner

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Cartoon Balloons ?
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded their demo version of ButtonOCX - the
included Balloon control is exactly what I was looking for.

Martin

Quote:

>>I need to create a demo version of some software that I write. I would
>>like to use "balloons" like one sees in cartoons to point to and
>>explain various aspects of the screen displays. I would "pop up" and
>>hide these balloons as the user mouses around the screen. (Microsoft
>>Word and Excell have this kind of thing in them.) From my view point
>>these would be simply fancy text boxes.

>>Does anyone know of a control (activex, whatever) that provides this
>>kind of functionality? That is, a round/oval/cloud shape, with a text
>>property, a transparent background, and a pointer that I can drop into
>>my program?

>When I purchased ButtonMaker from FarPoint Technologies (I think they call it
>ButtonOCX now) to make fancy buttons, they included a Balloon control, which
>does almost exactly what you want, except for the transparent background.  You
>set a property which attaches them to another control on the form and they pop
>up when the mouse passes over the attached control, like a fancy tooltip.
>They're cute, but I never used them in a commercial app.  They might be cool
>for a demo, though.  ButtonOCX costs about $50 or $60 US.

>Lee Weiner
>weiner AT fuse DOT net
>http://home.fuse.net/lweiner

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Cartoon Balloons ?

>I would like to use "balloons" like one sees in cartoons to point to and
> explain various aspects of the screen displays

Sounds like a job for a MS Agent character. The main site can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/msagent
As you will be pointing at objects, you might like to see the HandyAndy
character at my Agent LaunchPad programming site at
http://www.agent-launchpad.co.uk
To see some more MS Agent related sites, you could take a look at
AgentVision: http://www.agentvision.co.uk

I hope you find what you are looking for,

Ed Ross
http://www.agent-launchpad.co.uk -- The Agent LaunchPad.
Microsoft Agent tutorials for Visual Basic programmers.
http://www.agentvision.co.uk -- AgentVision.
The AgentVision Show, downloads, polls and more!

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Cartoon Balloons ?
Hey Martin,
Good thing for you I never forget where ANYTHING is (as far as Code
goes!!)...
http://www.zonecorp.com/VB5/Assistant.htm may be what you need ;-)
Neila

Quote:
> I need to create a demo version of some software that I write. I would
> like to use "balloons" like one sees in cartoons to point to and
> explain various aspects of the screen displays. I would "pop up" and
> hide these balloons as the user mouses around the screen. (Microsoft
> Word and Excell have this kind of thing in them.) From my view point
> these would be simply fancy text boxes.

> Does anyone know of a control (activex, whatever) that provides this
> kind of functionality? That is, a round/oval/cloud shape, with a text
> property, a transparent background, and a pointer that I can drop into
> my program?

> Suggestions?

> Thanks

> Martin

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Eztoons, online creation of interactive cartoons 7637

2. Cartoons For Engineers

3. cartoon-type help

4. Using Talking Cartoon in VB ?

5. Show ico or bmp in assistant balloon

6. Ballooning Database???

7. Assistant Balloon Object

8. MS Agent balloon

9. Add a textbox in balloon of the office assistant

10. mousepointer/balloon with text?

11. Balloon ...

12. Office Assistant Balloons for F1 Help