simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt 
Author Message
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt

A colleague of mine recently developed a small app for one of our customers
which simply ftp's a file from a given directory on the same machine to a
given directory on a remote machine. It works beautifully in win 98, but
won't work on an NT machine unless you first install VB6 itself. It doesn't
work just with the VB6 runtimes, but it works fine when the actual full
development environment is installed. If you uninstall VB6 again, it stops
working.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work? Compiling on an NT
machine also doesn't help. It still fails on a machine that doesn't have
VB6 installed.

--
Adam Short

Expand your vocabulary:

FROSSES (pl.n.)

The lecherous looks exchanged between six{*filter*}-year-olds at a party given by
someone's parents.



Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:21:02 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt


Quote:
> Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work? Compiling on an NT
> machine also doesn't help. It still fails on a machine that doesn't have
> VB6 installed.

You must create a "software package", which includes
ALL the components needed to run your application in
another computer.

--
Er Roscio.



Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:55:48 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt
Roscio's bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

Quote:


>> Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work? Compiling on an NT
>> machine also doesn't help. It still fails on a machine that doesn't have
>> VB6 installed.

> You must create a "software package", which includes
> ALL the components needed to run your application in
> another computer.

I've done this, sorry I thought that would be self-explanatory. When I say
the program doesn't work, I mean even with the complete package installed,
everything that should be there (according to the P&D wizard and to every
dependency checker I've found) is there. I can install it on a brand new
install of win98 and it will work. If I install it on NT, regardless of
what I put on with it, it won't.

--
Adam Short

Expand your vocabulary:

FROSSES (pl.n.)

The lecherous looks exchanged between six{*filter*}-year-olds at a party given by
someone's parents.



Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:58:47 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt


Quote:
> Roscio's bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel



> >> Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work? Compiling on an NT
> >> machine also doesn't help. It still fails on a machine that doesn't have
> >> VB6 installed.

> > You must create a "software package", which includes
> > ALL the components needed to run your application in
> > another computer.

> I've done this, sorry I thought that would be self-explanatory. When I say
> the program doesn't work, I mean even with the complete package installed,
> everything that should be there (according to the P&D wizard and to every
> dependency checker I've found) is there. I can install it on a brand new
> install of win98 and it will work. If I install it on NT, regardless of
> what I put on with it, it won't.

NT family (NT, Win2k, XP) doesn't accept straight reading/writing access
to communication port.
In VB u can use ex. MsComm -control to access hardware port.

--
o?o? Timppa



Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:36:56 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt
Timo Jokinen's bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of
steel

Quote:
>> I've done this, sorry I thought that would be self-explanatory. When I
>> say the program doesn't work, I mean even with the complete package
>> installed, everything that should be there (according to the P&D
>> wizard and to every dependency checker I've found) is there. I can
>> install it on a brand new install of win98 and it will work. If I
>> install it on NT, regardless of what I put on with it, it won't.

> NT family (NT, Win2k, XP) doesn't accept straight reading/writing
> access to communication port.
> In VB u can use ex. MsComm -control to access hardware port.

Thanks, but how come it works fine when VB6 is installed and not otherwise?

--
Adam Short

Expand your vocabulary:

FROSSES (pl.n.)

The lecherous looks exchanged between six{*filter*}-year-olds at a party given by
someone's parents.



Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:55:40 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt
Orinoco's bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

Quote:
> Timo Jokinen's bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of
> steel

>>> I've done this, sorry I thought that would be self-explanatory. When
>>> I say the program doesn't work, I mean even with the complete package
>>> installed, everything that should be there (according to the P&D
>>> wizard and to every dependency checker I've found) is there. I can
>>> install it on a brand new install of win98 and it will work. If I
>>> install it on NT, regardless of what I put on with it, it won't.

>> NT family (NT, Win2k, XP) doesn't accept straight reading/writing
>> access to communication port.
>> In VB u can use ex. MsComm -control to access hardware port.

> Thanks, but how come it works fine when VB6 is installed and not
> otherwise?

Ok, this problem is now officially solved. I ditched VB, rewrote the entire
thing in Tcl in less than two hours and it worked flawlessly, regardless of
the platform, first time. I think my VB cds may be going in the bin.

--
Adam Short

Expand your vocabulary:

IPSWICH (n.)

The sound at the other end of the telephone which tells you that the
automatic exchange is working very hard but is intending not actually to
connect you this time, merely to let you know how difficult it is.



Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:03:56 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt

Quote:

> A colleague of mine recently developed a small app for one of our customers
> which simply ftp's a file from a given directory on the same machine to a
> given directory on a remote machine. It works beautifully in win 98, but
> won't work on an NT machine unless you first install VB6 itself. It doesn't
> work just with the VB6 runtimes, but it works fine when the actual full
> development environment is installed. If you uninstall VB6 again, it stops
> working.

> Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work? Compiling on an NT
> machine also doesn't help. It still fails on a machine that doesn't have
> VB6 installed.

When the app compiles, maybe it's "bound" to an OS-specific component.
Did it reference the FileSystemAbomination or SCRRUN.DLL in any way?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans? <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!



Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:46:10 GMT  
 simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt
Joe "Nuke Me Xemu" Foster's bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a
shield of steel

Quote:


>> A colleague of mine recently developed a small app for one of our
>> customers which simply ftp's a file from a given directory on the same
>> machine to a given directory on a remote machine. It works beautifully
>> in win 98, but won't work on an NT machine unless you first install
>> VB6 itself. It doesn't work just with the VB6 runtimes, but it works
>> fine when the actual full development environment is installed. If you
>> uninstall VB6 again, it stops working.

>> Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work? Compiling on an
>> NT machine also doesn't help. It still fails on a machine that doesn't
>> have VB6 installed.

> When the app compiles, maybe it's "bound" to an OS-specific component.
> Did it reference the FileSystemAbomination or SCRRUN.DLL in any way?

No, and thanks for the tip, but I've solved the problem another way. I
decided all the messing about resolving dependency issues in VB wasn't
worth it and rewrote it in Tcl. No dependencies, took me less than two
hours to write and it can be used on just about any platform.

--
Adam Short

Expand your vocabulary:

SHANKLIN (n.)

The hoop of skin around a single slice of salami.



Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:56:47 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. please help: VB app with ADODC won't work at Win98

2. Compiled in Win ME won't run in Win98

3. Developing VB3 Apps Under Win '95

4. Developing VB3 Apps Under Win '95

5. OCX Created w/VB5 SP3 Work Only on Win NT - Not Win 95

6. OCX Created w/VB5 SP3 Work Only on Win NT - Not Win 95

7. Win API Call not working in vb.net app distributed to WIn 98

8. Moving from Win 3.11 to Win NT ?'s

9. Q: Config of Win '95/Win NT Task Bar via VB4

10. HELP - Error 50003 - VB5, Win 95, Win 98, Win NT

11. HELP - Error 50003 - VB5, Win 95, Win 98, Win NT

12. HELP - Error 50003 - VB5, Win 95, Win 98, Win NT

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software