Please help for charity! VBasic help
Author Message
 Please help for charity! VBasic help

Hi Friends
I am writing application for research purposes for people with disabilities
which is going to be used by these people as well (free of charge).
I am in need of an either professional or shareware VBXs which let you
control a Switch connected to COM1 or COM2. It would be nice to have the
Mouse active at the same time as well. Otherwise the mouse swithches can
already simulate the situation.
Any help which points me to the write direction or any piece of code which
could help to implement this requirement in house is greatly appreciated and
recognised.
Regards
Reza Oskouie

--
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------+
|  Reza Oskouie   Tel: (+44)  0114-22 22412       E-mail:

|  Address: Dept. of Human Communication Sciences, The University  of
Sheffield
|                 18 Claremont Crescent   Sheffield    S10 2TA
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------+

Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please help for charity! VBasic help

Quote:

> Hi Friends
> I am writing application for research purposes for people with disabilities
> which is going to be used by these people as well (free of charge).
> I am in need of an either professional or shareware VBXs which let you
> control a Switch connected to COM1 or COM2. It would be nice to have the
> Mouse active at the same time as well. Otherwise the mouse swithches can
> already simulate the situation.
> Any help which points me to the write direction or any piece of code which
> could help to implement this requirement in house is greatly appreciated and
> recognised.
> Regards
> Reza Oskouie

> --
> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------+
> |  Reza Oskouie   Tel: (+44)  0114-22 22412       E-mail:

> |  Address: Dept. of Human Communication Sciences, The University  of
> Sheffield
> |                 18 Claremont Crescent   Sheffield    S10 2TA

Reza;

I found this one day when I was wondering around.  I know NOTHING ELSE
about the company our it's products.  But, I thought of it when I read
your question.  see
http://www.capitalnet.com/~unusualp/

--
Regards
/Don Ames

Please visit our web site at...
http://www.access.digex.net/~guu_sftw

Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please help for charity! VBasic help

Jan 1997 15:01:45 GMT):

Quote:
>Hi Friends
>I am writing application for research purposes for people with disabilities
>which is going to be used by these people as well (free of charge).
>I am in need of an either professional or shareware VBXs which let you
>control a Switch connected to COM1 or COM2. It would be nice to have the
>Mouse active at the same time as well. Otherwise the mouse swithches can
>already simulate the situation.

You need an extra hardware connected to your COM-Ports to be
able to communicate with external switches. It's not much
hardware, but it is - if you can't find any cheap product
try something different:

Use a gameport, it's able to directly measure electronic
resistors without much hardware. So you might use some
switches with different resistances when they are activated.

The topic is not too easy for a programmer, I know. We tried
hard over here when we would try to build a dialup-system
for some sporting-clubs that automatically checked 120
positions and would use a voice-modem to tell "Court 1 is
free for use from 4:00 till 5:00"... it was tricky because
we had no idea how to do it (and hardware, oooohhhh....).
Well, we finally got it running, using multiplexers and all
such stuff (I had HEARD of such things before, but use them
for construction? We needed weeks, but it was fun).

So, try to either buy some hardware (should not be more than
10 - 15 US$ or so, should be acceptable for real users?) for
it or ask someone who knows about such a thing called a
"555" (the very first beginning). If you need some, I can
scan an instruction how this can be build, but it's in
german (but even the pictures of the electronic parts might
be interesting enough).

Sorry I coulndn't help better, don't try any further to get
COM-info without hardware.

Mathias Schiffer
(My english is not perfect, so I didn't quite meet the point
I wanted, but please contact me and ask if you have further
questions).

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please help for charity! VBasic help

OK, let me see if I can remember how to explain this:

Some of the lines on an RS232 inteface port such as your com 2 use 12V DC
(approx.) to communicate with another device.  A good example of these
lines would be RTS and CTS.  When these lines are pulled up (high or TRUE
or on) they maintain 12V .  You could make a DB9 connector with 2 wires -
CTS and GND for example and run them to a low voltage or optically isolated
relay to switch the 12V into the required voltage.  The drawback here is
that the solid state relays you would probably need to use would not
support a high amperage level on the "other side" of the contacts.  But if
this poses no problem, all you have to do then is pull up or down the state
of the CTS line to operate the relay, and thus operate you peripheral
device.  Another drawback is the effective transmission distance of the
RS232.  If more distance than 25 feet (the specs say 6 feet) is needed, you
may need to use an RS422 converter.

Another option (and one I use) is to aquire a remote digital controller
that will allow you to send commands to it to operate various digital I/O
modules - as many as 32 devices per board.  This solution is not
inexpensive for a non-commercial venture, costing from $400.00 on up.

One last thing, a while back I used a search engine to lookup RS232, and
found a guy in the USA that was selling a device to control relays via
RS232.  It was pretty cheap (<$100), and he would also just sell the plans.
 Unfortunately I can't remember the URL.  If I find it I will repost.  I
sincerely hope that this helps.  Any further questions you are welcome to
email me directly.

Best wishes

--
J. Gary Thompson
Director IT

Quote:
> Hi Friends
> I am writing application for research purposes for people with
disabilities
> which is going to be used by these people as well (free of charge).
> I am in need of an either professional or shareware VBXs which let you
> control a Switch connected to COM1 or COM2. It would be nice to have the
> Mouse active at the same time as well. Otherwise the mouse swithches can
> already simulate the situation.
> Any help which points me to the write direction or any piece of code
which
> could help to implement this requirement in house is greatly appreciated
and
> recognised.
> Regards
> Reza Oskouie

> --

-
Quote:
> ------------------------------+
> |  Reza Oskouie   Tel: (+44)  0114-22 22412       E-mail:

> |  Address: Dept. of Human Communication Sciences, The University  of
> Sheffield
> |                 18 Claremont Crescent   Sheffield    S10 2TA

-

> -------------------------------+

Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please help for charity! VBasic help

2. PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP,

3. ADO Query for charity - Help please !

4. ADO Query for charity - Help please !

5. Help required for transferring VBasic 3.0 (16 bit) to VBasic 5.0

6. Please Help ...VBasic and C++ compiles EXE files

7. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP

8. please help...dbase code for vbasic

9. Please help... Vbasic codes for Access references

10. VBasic 3.0 & Access 2.0 - Please Help

11. Can anyone HELP me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

12. help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,