Windows (32 bit) API in MS Dev Studio
Author Message
 Windows (32 bit) API in MS Dev Studio

I have installed on my machine the MS Dev Studio (Visual C++ 5.0),
and was wondering where in the InfoViewer List Box on the right
is the API functions that I can use in VB? There's just too much
stuff there, and nowhere does it say: API that I could find.

And, assuming I find a function in C++, what is the usual
conversion that you would use to convert it to something useful
in VB?

Thanks,
Nathan

Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows (32 bit) API in MS Dev Studio

: I have installed on my machine the MS Dev Studio (Visual C++ 5.0),
: and was wondering where in the InfoViewer List Box on the right
: is the API functions that I can use in VB? There's just too much
: stuff there, and nowhere does it say: API that I could find.

It's a bear to try to find, but it is in there.  Look under:

Platform SDK
  Reference
    Functions
      Win32 Functions

An alternative, which I personally prefer, is the MSDN Website
which is organized in a similar fashion but contains the functions
organized by category rather than alphabetically, and also provides
some very helpful overview topics.  You'll have to register for the
site if you hvaen't already, but registration is free.

  http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/

: And, assuming I find a function in C++, what is the usual
: conversion that you would use to convert it to something useful
: in VB?

Check out the API Viewer application that is installed with Visual
Basic.  It should be on your Start menu, but if not, try rerunning the
VB install and make sure the API Viewer option is selected.  It will
help you to declare API functions for use in VB.

Joe

Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows (32 bit) API in MS Dev Studio

Quote:

> I have installed on my machine the MS Dev Studio (Visual C++ 5.0),
> and was wondering where in the InfoViewer List Box on the right
> is the API functions that I can use in VB?

> And, assuming I find a function in C++, what is the usual
> conversion that you would use to convert it to something useful
> in VB?

I don't believe you'll find that information in the VC++ Infoviewer.
You can get it using the API Text Viewer that was most likely installed
when you installed VB.  This utility will load an API text file such as
the one found in C:\Program Files\Devstudio\VB\WinAPI\Win32api.txt.

This will copy the declares, constants and types directly into your VB
program.

Another option is to get a copy of  either Daniel Appleman's VB
Programmer's Guide to the Win32 API. It contains the declares,
instructions on how to access the API and sample programs.
--
Ira Idelson
Senior Engineer

Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows (32 bit) API in MS Dev Studio

Quote:
>I have installed on my machine the MS Dev Studio (Visual C++ 5.0),
>and was wondering where in the InfoViewer List Box on the right
>is the API functions that I can use in VB? There's just too much
>stuff there, and nowhere does it say: API that I could find.

>And, assuming I find a function in C++, what is the usual
>conversion that you would use to convert it to something useful
>in VB?

Look for APIs under SDK.  It won't say API, but you'll find all the
Windows functions listed.

Henry S. Takeuchi

Seattle, Washington (USA)

Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 32 bit OO dev tools for Windows NT/95 and OS/2

2. 32-bit version of NWCALLS.DLL for Client for MS-Windows

3. INT: Windows API VB 4.0 32-bit

4. Re Starting Windows 32 Bit API Help!

5. Migrating 16-bit ODBC DLL (SQLServer) to 32-bit ODBC DLL (MS Access)

6. API Conversion 16 bit to 32 bit

7. 32 bit equivalent of 16 bit API call GetModuleUsage

8. Need some 16 bit and 32 bit API assistance

9. 16 bit API calls in VB 3 supported in 32 bit VB 4.0

10. 16-bit/32-bit API calls

11. API: from 16-bit to 32-bit

12. How to create 32-bit DLL in Watcom C and call from 32-bit VB