Activating the Win95 Screen Saver
Author Message
 Activating the Win95 Screen Saver

I am trying to write my 1st Visual Basic program (hence newcomer) to activate
the Win 95 screen saver but I am having problem get it to do what I wanted.
The logic of my program is very simple:

        1. declare global functions (win api)
        2. find the screen saver name in system.ini
        3. use SHELL to activate the screen saver with /s option.
        4. end program

The problem I have is the screen saver name.  If I change the screen saver's
extension to 'exe', the program will work fine.  But if I leave the screen
saver extension as 'scr', I get a 'invalid procedure call' error.

What am I missing? Am I using the right technique to write this program?

Thanks in advance.

Pak Sau
MIS
York University, Toronto

(416)736-2100 x22792

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Activating the Win95 Screen Saver

Quote:

> I am trying to write my 1st Visual Basic program (hence newcomer) to activate
> the Win 95 screen saver but I am having problem get it to do what I wanted.

> The problem I have is the screen saver name.  If I change the screen saver's
> extension to 'exe', the program will work fine.  But if I leave the screen
> saver extension as 'scr', I get a 'invalid procedure call' error.

> What am I missing? Am I using the right technique to write this program?
> This isn't quite what you're looking for, but it may help. In the April 23 edition of PC

Magazine there is a utility called SCInvoke which is used to invoke the screen saver. You can
get the program and source code from :

        http:\\www.pcmag.com

I don't know where they are located, but the files you want are:

        SCINVOKE.EXE--Program
        SCINVOKE.TXT--Documentation
        SCINVOKE.ZIP--Prog, Doc and Source Code

This may give you an idea of how to invoke the screen saver and hopefully help fix your problem.
One problem is that it was written in Visual C++. If you don't know C it might give you
headaches trying to figure it out. Good Luck!

--

Paul Gibson
Technology Service Corporation, Washington Operations

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Activating the Win95 Screen Saver

Quote:

> I am trying to write my 1st Visual Basic program (hence newcomer) to activate
> the Win 95 screen saver but I am having problem get it to do what I wanted.
> The logic of my program is very simple:

>         1. declare global functions (win api)
>         2. find the screen saver name in system.ini
>         3. use SHELL to activate the screen saver with /s option.
>         4. end program

> The problem I have is the screen saver name.  If I change the screen saver's
> extension to 'exe', the program will work fine.  But if I leave the screen
> saver extension as 'scr', I get a 'invalid procedure call' error.

> What am I missing? Am I using the right technique to write this program?

> Thanks in advance.

> Pak Sau
> MIS
> York University, Toronto

> (416)736-2100 x22792

There's an article in the VB knowledgebase that describes exactly how to
do this.  Good Luck!

Sun, 01 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Activating the Win95 Screen Saver

Quote:

>> I am trying to write my 1st Visual Basic program (hence newcomer) to
activate
>> the Win 95 screen saver but I am having problem get it to do what I wanted.

>> The problem I have is the screen saver name.  If I change the screen saver's
>> extension to 'exe', the program will work fine.  But if I leave the screen
>> saver extension as 'scr', I get a 'invalid procedure call' error.

>> What am I missing? Am I using the right technique to write this program?
>> This isn't quite what you're looking for, but it may help.

Hallo,

Win95 Control panel passes several things if it activates the screen saver.

/s      Screen saver
/p      Password
/a      Preview
/c      Configure

You could catch these things with "Command".

Probably this is your problem. Try it.

Good luck
Greetings from Holland

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Activating the Win95 Screen Saver

2. Activate Screen Saver with VB.Net

3. How to activate Screen Saver?

4. Activating screen saver in NT 4.0

5. Activating an OLE Screen Saver

6. A message for screen saver activating.

7. activate a screen saver on NT system

8. Activating Windows 98 Default Screen Saver

9. Screen Saver on top of Screen Saver problem

10. WIN95 & Screen Savers

11. Win95 Screen Saver

12. Screen Savers for Win95