Listening to com 1 or com 2, how?
Author Message
 Listening to com 1 or com 2, how?

I'd like to realize a VB application that is capable of listening to the
data a machine sends me over com1 or 2. How can this be done? Which basic
commands do I use?

Tx,
Sound

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:23:30 GMT
 Listening to com 1 or com 2, how?
Look for the Microsoft Comm Control in the Components dialog box.

Max Bolingbroke

Quote:
> I'd like to realize a VB application that is capable of listening to the
> data a machine sends me over com1 or 2. How can this be done? Which basic
> commands do I use?

> Tx,
> Sound

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:31:30 GMT
 Listening to com 1 or com 2, how?

Quote:

> I'd like to realize a VB application that is capable of listening to the
> data a machine sends me over com1 or 2. How can this be done? Which basic
> commands do I use?

Hi Sound-

This is my standard serial port answer, so ignore what you already know:

--------------<BEGIN QUOTED SECTION>-----------------------------------

Under VB, the MSComm object handles the serial ports. If you are going
to use serial communications under VB,{*filter*} Grier's book is the next
step. Info at http://www.*-*-*.com/

You did not mention what version of VB you have, but if it is not a
"learning edition", you should have MSComm available to you. In VB, just
click the following menu items:
Tools-->Custom Controls-->Microsoft Comm Control

Then just drop an MSComm object on your form and start from there.

For samples, look for the VBTerm and Dialer projects in your
\SAMPLES\VBTERM folder on whatever drive you have installed VB.

Also visit Jan Axelson's site at http://www.*-*-*.com/ for info on all
things serial, parallel and USB.

For a quick look at MSComm visit this URL:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

But I would recommend the VB help on MSComm and *strongly* recommend
Grier's book. You'll be wise to have it on your desk until your project
is completed.

----------------<END QUOTED SECTION>---------------------------------

Good Luck,

Randy Barrow

Please remove NOSPAM from address for replies

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:06:16 GMT

1. Listen to a COM-port

2. Com Port Listening

3. Com Port busy is service is listening

4. How to listen to a COM port?

5. COM Ports - How do i listen for data?

6. Calling COM EXE from VB.NET Service leaves COM EXE in Memory

7. Automation error referencing .net dll from com (com interop)

8. COM-Object in ASP with COM-Object as parameter

9. news:3qgju8$j7m@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com

10. COM-Gen 2000 - Build 107 released - generates COM objects

11. COM-Gen 2000 - Build 153 released - generates COM objects