Problems reading serial port in WIN NT
Author Message
 Problems reading serial port in WIN NT

Can anyone help me?. I have a piece of Visual Basic code (version 6)
which reads data from a memory card attached via the serial port,
either COM1 or COM2 and is accessed using the MSCOMM object.

The code executes correctly every time when operating in a WIN 98
environment but fails to see the data card reader when running under
WIN NT or WIN 2000.

I cannot find any reason for this anomaly nor have I been able to find
a solution, your help would be gratefully received ‘cause its
driving me nuts.

Terry Wright

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:41:48 GMT
 Problems reading serial port in WIN NT

Quote:

> Problems reading serial port in WIN NT
> Can anyone help me?. I have a piece of Visual Basic code (version 6)
> which reads data from a memory card attached via the serial port,
> either COM1 or COM2 and is accessed using the MSCOMM object.

> The code executes correctly every time when operating in a WIN 98
> environment but fails to see the data card reader when running under
> WIN NT or WIN 2000.

> I cannot find any reason for this anomaly nor have I been able to find
> a solution, your help would be gratefully received ‘cause its
> driving me nuts.

> Terry Wright

Here a few suggestions, which may help.

1. Was the program installed as an Admin on the NT?

2. Is the port wiring different on the NT, perhaps you need a Null
modem?

3. Is the comm port functional on the NT?  Make sure that you can read
and write to the port number desired using HyperTerminal connected to
a second PC.

4. Sometimes the serial port fails on NT.  Especially when using test
code.  Try removing the comm port(s) from the Settings/Control
Panel/System/Device Manager, then rebooting.  The PC will find the
port again on reboot.

5. Also prgrams can hang onto the serial port especially when they
have not closed properly, rebooting usually cures that.

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:34:37 GMT

1. Problems with Reading from Serial Port

2. problems with read data from serial port

3. How to loop comm port control to read text files through serial port in VB3

4. Qbasic serial port access on win XP pro

5. Qbasic serial port access on win XP pro

6. Win-Api-function for operation serial Port (COMx)

7. I/O port, Parallel port, Serial port

8. Serial ports under Windows NT using mscomm32.ocx

9. How do I read my serial port using Access VBA

10. DLL for reading serial port data

11. Read and Write to Serial Ports?

12. Reading Serial ports